Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Recommend me a new Android tablet

Author
Thread
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

Recommend me a new Android tablet quote:

The time has come to retire the Nexus 7 and I'm looking for a good replacement. Not going to be working with it, just something to use on fligha, watch Netflix/YouTube/surf thebweb in bed and plays games on. Not looking to be spending a ton of cash, but would be flexible for a good tablet

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-2017 09:47 AM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A/E since you dont want to spend a ton. Starts at $200-$370 for the biggest 9.6" screen

Or

LG G Pad III (I have the previous gen G Pad II I got free for using my Fido Dollars from Fido)

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 04-04-2017 12:24 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TurboMedic
First Gear

What I drive: '09 Sport Trac Adrenalin, '08 Triumph Daytona
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I went with a Windows based Asus tablet instead of going portable this time, and I couldn't be happier. not limited to mobile apps, can operate with or without the keyboard, and overall easy experience. Its an Asus T100 with 64GB on board, added 132GB on external.

Old Post 04-04-2017 01:37 PM
TurboMedic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TurboMedic Click here to Send TurboMedic a Private Message Find more posts by TurboMedic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Using a LG Gpad III here, just because it seems to be the one that Fido is pushing with their $15 for 3GB data only plan.

Its just about right, can just grip with one thumb and three fingers without touching the screen.

Old Post 04-04-2017 02:18 PM
ZenOps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Completely depends on how much you care about these things:
-Availability of cases / accessories, though most will take generic ones
-Future proofing by getting something with USB-C
-Screen size / portability
-Screen resolution
-Speakers; single vs double
-On screen vs hardware buttons; most obvious difference you'll notice if you switch to something Samsung after having a Nexus
-Availability of updates / support of ROM's

Originally posted by ZenOps
Its just about right, can just grip with one thumb and three fingers without touching the screen.

Cheap solution: I stuck one of these to the back of mine to slip between my fingers. Make sure to sand down the plastic ridge for comfort
click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Old Post 04-04-2017 02:57 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Escape

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Lenovo Tab 4 Plus is launching soon, it looks like a nice tablet with good specs and inexpensive price

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_8_plus-8603.php

Old Post 04-04-2017 03:53 PM
Escape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Escape Click here to Send Escape a Private Message Find more posts by Escape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Lots of rumors surrounding a new Nexus/Pixel tablet this year which will be the obvious choice in tablet land if you can wait a bit (might be as long as October though). If not the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 is the best one at the moment and even comes with a stylus, but it bothers me that it has year-old internals and was announced a month ago.

If you just want a cheap tablet, Any of the Samsung, Asus, or Lenovo $300 tablets are all about the same. The Lenovo Tab 4 is good value but you need to go to the "plus" version to get a decent amount of RAM, wireless AC, and a HD screen. I was considering one actually because I like the aspect ratio, enormous battery, stock android 7.0 and these days I pretty much just use it to watch Netflix at the gym. They are actually marketed at Kids but the specs are solid for a value tablet on the "plus" models. The 10" Plus version gets a 7,000mAh battery but otherwise can be spec'd the same as the 8" Plus.

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:14 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quick_scar
First Gear

What I drive: Has either 2 or 4 wheels
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Whats wrong with your Nexus 7??? Looking to sell? I could use another. Love mine.

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:38 PM
quick_scar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for quick_scar Click here to Send quick_scar a Private Message Find more posts by quick_scar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

^^ The N7 is still good after all this time and it can run Nougat. I actually regret selling mine, it was a perfect size. After 4 years though the batteries are probably starting to degrade - mobile batteries aren't designed to perform their best for more than a couple years or so.

Old Post 04-04-2017 04:40 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by quick_scar
Whats wrong with your Nexus 7??? Looking to sell? I could use another. Love mine.

Battery drain and sluggish responsiveness is my main complaint. Might try a factory reset to see if it is just cluttered up with crap.

The Tab A/E models look nice, I'll be taking a peek at those. All it is really needed for is playing a few games and watching Netflix/Google Play movies on flights and internet surfing.

Last edited by FraserB on 04-05-2017 at 04:22 PM

Old Post 04-05-2017 03:42 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by FraserB

Battery drain and sluggish responsiveness is my main complaint. Might try a factory reset to see if it is just cluttered up with crap.

The Tab A/E models look nice, I'll be taking a peek at those. All it is really needed for is playing a few games and watching Netflix/Google Play movies on flights and internet surfing.

Whats your budget though?

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2/3 is nice. Big screen. Comes with stylus. Plenty fast for what your usage is for.

In hindsight, my LG G Pad II is not a good choice. Very laggy/slow when opening apps but it works fine once loaded.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 04-05-2017 04:48 PM
dj_rice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

quote:

Probably capped at $300-$400

Plan would be to keep it for a while, I've had the Nexus 7since I bough it new on release day

Last edited by FraserB on 04-05-2017 at 07:16 PM

Old Post 04-05-2017 07:00 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Wait for the Lenovo Tab 4 Plus (May), unless you need something immediately. Should be about $350-400, depending which one you get, good enough specs, good screen, huge batteries, and almost stock android 7.1.1. You'll also probably be able to buy it everywhere including Costco. Touch-Wiz and super late OS updates on the lower-end Samsung tablets isn't the greatest but YMMV. The Lenovo tabs look to have unrivaled value compared to everything else out there at the moment. If google would hurry up and announce a Nexus/Pixel tablet for 2017 that would be the obvious choice but it's probably a ways away.

I plan to get the 64gb/4gb version (Not sure what size yet) as my Netflix/browsing mule. It has a SD card slot too.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 04-05-2017 at 09:40 PM

Old Post 04-05-2017 09:35 PM
The time now is 03:20 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Recommend me a new Android tablet

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: