Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Home Automation: Shitty Toilet Warning

Author
Thread
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

Home Automation: Shitty Toilet Warning quote:

This was originally a joke between a couple of us when I first started looking into home automation, but with iOS 10.2 adding notifications in many classes of devices, I've finally been able to make the dream come true.

The goal was to make it so I know before walking into the shitter if someone left it smelling like shit. Elgato Eve makes the Room sensor which is an air quality sensor that detects volatile organic compounds, AKA shit particles in the air. Threw one of these badboys in the bathroom, and now it can track precisely when it smells like shit, every 10 mins.

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

It classifies air quality based on the amount of VOCs in the air, and after a couple of baseline shits, I was able to confirm that taking a dump with the fan off would spike it to the Inferior level. Once it lowered back to fair, I walked in, took a huge wiff, and confirmed it didn't smell like shit anymore.

I added a Philips Hue Bloom outside the bathroom door, and 2 triggers in Homekit. One to turn it on red when air quality changes to Inferior, and one to turn it off when it goes back to fair. So now, anyone taking a shit in the bathroom will light up the outside red, warning other users not to go in there until the red light turns off.

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

This is officially the dumbest yet greatest in using home automation. As a bonus, we can now see who has the worst smelling shit.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:00 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

JRSC00LUDE
Third Gear

What I drive: S/C '00 Prelude '15 Tacoma '06 Vstar 1100
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

Interested to see my score next time I come through.

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Last edited by JRSC00LUDE on 04-11-2017 at 06:29 PM

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:26 PM
JRSC00LUDE is online now Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK 2.0
Beyond's Biggest E-Mack

What I drive: ...BNT0B0X...
Posts/Day: 1.74
Trader Rating: (31)

quote:

The future is here now...

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:26 PM
EK 2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK 2.0 Click here to Send EK 2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by EK 2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

What a time to be alive

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:30 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eglove
Third Gear

What I drive: FERD
Posts/Day: 0.93
Trader Rating: (128)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

That is amazing

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:35 PM
eglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eglove Click here to Send eglove a Private Message Find more posts by eglove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

hahaha fuck this is awesome

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:46 PM
dirtsniffer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Beyond meet to see who can best spike the levels

Old Post 04-11-2017 06:50 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I'd like to see this advertised in those Home Hardware commercials.

Old Post 04-11-2017 07:02 PM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

I remember when this was still a dream and now it's here haha.

Only problem I see is that a lot of "non shit" particles could spike up the chart since it's measuring VOCs. Is there a chart to show what kind of VOCs each shit emits?

Old Post 04-11-2017 07:10 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffh
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

I thoroughly love the red-light warning you implemented. Great way to shame friends and family members and to always have a chuckle about it. Any other ideas on the horizon, rage2?

Old Post 04-11-2017 07:39 PM
jeffh is online now Click Here to See the Profile for jeffh Click here to Send jeffh a Private Message Find more posts by jeffh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Originally posted by kenny
I remember when this was still a dream and now it's here haha.

Only problem I see is that a lot of "non shit" particles could spike up the chart since it's measuring VOCs. Is there a chart to show what kind of VOCs each shit emits?

Actually, if it wasn't for the air freshener in there, the scale always bottoms out at 450ppm and doesn't register anything. With the door open, it hovers between 450-600ppm. Door closed, it slowly spikes up and levels out around 1000-1200pm. A shit will instantly spike it up to 1800ppm and up depending on how bad it is. The record so far is 3050ppm. I'm not even close to hitting that.

I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-11-2017 07:55 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.65
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Nerd .

'nuf said.

Old Post 04-11-2017 07:55 PM
speedog is online now Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36

quote:

With all the other stuff you seem to do, how the hell do you have time for this? Do you even sleep?

Anyway Rage, I was remembering your alcohol level testing thread. Can't wait to see the pot one when it becomes legal

Old Post 04-11-2017 08:03 PM
Seth1968 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Originally posted by Seth1968

With all the other stuff you seem to do, how the hell do you have time for this? Do you even sleep?

I don't. This has been available since January, and I didn't get to it till now.

Old Post 04-11-2017 08:11 PM
dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Best thread I've read this week

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Old Post 04-11-2017 08:29 PM
dj_rice is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

What is this, Japan ??? Next youll get a bum wiping/rinsing toilet as well.

Old Post 04-11-2017 09:12 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

My next step is to tie in the fan so it turns on automatically when it detects shit. Although buh_buh suggested that I make it force disable the fan for the lolz.

Old Post 04-11-2017 09:47 PM
ExtremeSi
First Gear

What I drive: B7 A4, ZX-6R
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Wow this is awesome. I had to check the date to make sure this wasn't an April fool's day post. Will be great to surprise visitors with the red light when they exit.

Old Post 04-11-2017 10:58 PM
ExtremeSi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtremeSi Click here to Send ExtremeSi a Private Message Find more posts by ExtremeSi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

i need this for the office, but then i'd likely never get to go.

Old Post 04-11-2017 11:00 PM
Thaco is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

But it only smelz?

Seriously... this is awesome.. I need something like this...

Old Post 04-11-2017 11:29 PM
tonytiger55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:22 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Home Automation: Shitty Toilet Warning

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: