Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Tax question - condo land value

Author
Thread
colsankey
Neutral

What I drive: 2011 Ralliart SB
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 100%

Tax question - condo land value quote:

Trying to get our taxes done a little later than normal this year. I know the requirements for reporting a housing sale have changed, and i was expecting to report the sale of my condo. However the accoutant my wife is going to, requires we report the land value in 2013 for a condo i just sold.

My understanding is it relates to capital gains, but all my searching gives conflicting info on if you need a land value or not, land doesnt depreciate but the building does (as i understand things.)

Accountant insists a value is required but cant tell me where to find that info or how best to calculate it.

Timeline -
2008 bought condo at peak for 230k as primary residence
2013 begin renting condo (triggers a change for capotal gains im told)
2016 condo markets changed. Dont want to carry it anymore. sold condo for ~220k

Anyone have an idea how to figure out the land value and or the capital loss so i know if the accountants out to lunch?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2017 08:17 PM
colsankey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colsankey Click here to Send colsankey a Private Message Find more posts by colsankey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Manhattan
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

All you need is the price of the condo at 2008, 13, 16. Get a realtor to check on fair value in 2013. "Land value" of a condo is impossible and useless.

Old Post 04-11-2017 08:51 PM
Manhattan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manhattan Click here to Send Manhattan a Private Message Find more posts by Manhattan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjwbrown

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

For most property sales you would need to have a reasonable allocation between land and building (for a house normal land values that I've seen usually range from 20% to 40%.

The reason is that as the building is a depreciable property selling it for a loss creates what is called a terminal loss and that is fully deductible while land being a non-depreciable property at loss creates a capital loss which is only 50% deductible (any can only be applied against capital gains).

For condos the land value is almost always zero.

Old Post 04-12-2017 06:14 PM
bjwbrown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjwbrown Click here to Send bjwbrown a Private Message Find more posts by bjwbrown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colsankey
Neutral

quote:

Thanks guys. Thats what Jordan advised me yesterday, but good having a second opinion.

Been audited two years in a row over minor discrepancies ($53 and 1000 in unreported income because i didnt see the approproate tax forms). So being extra causious this year.

Old Post 04-12-2017 06:25 PM
colsankey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colsankey Click here to Send colsankey a Private Message Find more posts by colsankey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

So did you estimate the 2013 value and then claim the difference between 2013-2016 as a capital gain?

Old Post 04-12-2017 06:46 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colsankey
Neutral

quote:

Meeting the accountant on Friday but thats my understanding.

Old Post 04-12-2017 06:51 PM
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Originally posted by colsankey
Meeting the accountant on Friday but thats my understanding.

If you can post an update after that would be awesome!

And confirmation of what exactly is required as 'confirmation' of the value at that time, is an email suitable? Needs to be a signed letter from a realtor?

Old Post 04-12-2017 07:26 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:07 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Tax question - condo land value

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: