Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > and this is why you get a PPI done

Author
Thread
Buster
First Gear

What I drive: 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2012 GL350
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 97%

and this is why you get a PPI done quote:

Owner probably paid cash for the repairs, then did a quick trade-in. Clean carproof:

But paint inspection (which I had to pay extra for btw)-

Last edited by Buster on 04-12-2017 at 02:10 AM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-12-2017 02:07 AM
Buster is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Buster Click here to Send Buster a Private Message Find more posts by Buster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

On a 2015 R8, totally worth it to do a full inspection, including paint thickness.

Old Post 04-12-2017 03:31 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

How much of a drop in price is something like that going to fetch?

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:14 AM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btimbit
Second Gear

What I drive: '16 Turbo VW
Posts/Day: 0.52
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Interesting, thanks for sharing

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:40 AM
btimbit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btimbit Click here to Send btimbit a Private Message Find more posts by btimbit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)

quote:

Did you ask the dealership you were buying the car from to perform the PPI?

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:44 AM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by revelations
How much of a drop in price is something like that going to fetch?

Not sure yet. I'm somewhere between "not interested at any price" to "okay this is going to cost them a lot".

I'm going to talk to the tech to see what his thoughts are. And maybe put it though a body-shop inspection to see what a pro thinks.

But this is a special edition, numbered car that had an original MSRP of mid-200s. So even a modest hit on its value due to this is likely going to be tens of thousands. Unless they can find someone who doesn't care or doesn't check.

Old Post 04-12-2017 06:44 AM
Buster is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Buster Click here to Send Buster a Private Message Find more posts by Buster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by shakalaka
Did you ask the dealership you were buying the car from to perform the PPI?

No, it was a different brand of luxury dealer that took it in on trade.

Old Post 04-12-2017 06:46 AM
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

Re: and this is why you get a PPI done quote:

Originally posted by Buster
Owner probably paid cash for the repairs, then did a quick trade-in.

Or it happened at the dealership pre-purchase.

Old Post 04-12-2017 03:04 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblair
Second Gear

What I drive: Jap V8
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Hope this works out for ya man, shitty to see that come up!

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:06 PM
cjblair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cjblair Click here to Send cjblair a Private Message Find more posts by cjblair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
User Rating: 99%

quote:

That is some shady business, reminds me of the VW I bought with the obvious non factory hood/front end paint "clean title."

But that was my first car/kijiji.

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:17 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Not sure yet. I'm somewhere between "not interested at any price" to "okay this is going to cost them a lot".

I'm going to talk to the tech to see what his thoughts are. And maybe put it though a body-shop inspection to see what a pro thinks.

But this is a special edition, numbered car that had an original MSRP of mid-200s. So even a modest hit on its value due to this is likely going to be tens of thousands. Unless they can find someone who doesn't care or doesn't check.

You know the saying, there's a sucker born every minute. If you pass, there will be someone else.

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:21 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

What did the owner/dealer say when you asked them if it had any accidents or work done to it? If they lied to you I would leave it alone because 9/10 times it's the tip of the iceberg and they are lying about lots more.

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:47 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7boi
Neutral

What I drive: (0^oo^0)~
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Just another example of how Carproof means dick all.

You can have an insurance claim on a car but it still depends if the repair shop reports their work on record.

Good due diligence!

Old Post 04-12-2017 04:54 PM
rx7boi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rx7boi Click here to Send rx7boi a Private Message Find more posts by rx7boi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

And the odometer was rolled back ~1 year of driving +6048 KM

Old Post 04-12-2017 05:12 PM
Swank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
What did the owner/dealer say when you asked them if it had any accidents or work done to it? If they lied to you I would leave it alone because 9/10 times it's the tip of the iceberg and they are lying about lots more.

The dealer said they didn't know. I almost half believe them. It's just not worth it.

Old Post 04-12-2017 07:13 PM
Buster
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by speedog

You know the saying, there's a sucker born every minute. If you pass, there will be someone else.

I'm disappointed. I've been on the hunt for an R8 for a while now, and it's been a pain in the ass.

This was a very special car, as it is an LM edition. They made 8 for Canada, one in each color, so it's a 1 of 1, in some ways. No kijiji beater here.

Back to the drawing board.

Old Post 04-12-2017 07:15 PM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by Swank
And the odometer was rolled back ~1 year of driving +6048 KM

Carproof is useless for odo readings

With my Hummer I had to fight with them for nearly 2 weeks to remove the reading of 123,456 from the record when I sold it.

What had happened was I had dropped off some rims and new tires that needed mounting for one of my other cars, and when they were invoicing the shop just ran it through on a VIN they had in the computer and entered 123456 as the odo reading to get to the next entry page.

Old Post 04-12-2017 07:23 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

The dealer said they didn't know. I almost half believe them. It's just not worth it.

I'd forget it personally, too risky and most dealers are shady AF.

Sorry to hear that though man, sounds like a super awesome (rare) version.

Old Post 04-12-2017 08:24 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'd forget it personally, too risky and most dealers are shady AF.

Sorry to hear that though man, sounds like a super awesome (rare) version.

Here's a video of the actual car that a car-spotter shot in Toronto.

The LM was a highly lightened version of the R8, with a bump to 570hp, more carbon interior bits, and a bunch of other stuff.

Old Post 04-12-2017 08:42 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

That looks amazing.

Old Post 04-12-2017 09:17 PM
The time now is 08:18 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > and this is why you get a PPI done

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: