Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Fence Extension onto City property

Author
Thread
dosun

What I drive: Subaru WRX Wagon
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 99%

Fence Extension onto City property quote:

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this?
We recently purchased a home and while talking with the builder/seller, he says we can just extend the fence and pay the city down the road. However, while getting quotes from various contractors, they require an encroachment agreement from the city in order to proceed. I tried the "nice" path and submitted a request to the City of Calgary, only to get a firm NO on any type of structure on city property. Did I just hose myself or is there any other means? Do I just extend the fence and hope for the best?

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this, then it'd be greatly appreciated.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2017 11:32 PM
dosun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dosun Click here to Send dosun a Private Message Find more posts by dosun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Rarasaurus
Neutral

What I drive: Treg/B7
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Why would you knowingly extend past your property into City land? They will never just give up the land to you as you suggest. How much do you want to extend?

Old Post 04-17-2017 11:34 PM
Rarasaurus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rarasaurus Click here to Send Rarasaurus a Private Message Find more posts by Rarasaurus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dosun

What I drive: Subaru WRX Wagon
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

Yard is narrow and would like some additional space for the dogs.
There is about 15 ft of space from the fence to the sidewalk and I just wanted to extend it out 5-6 ft towards it.

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
Why would you knowingly extend past your property into City land? They will never just give up the land to you as you suggest. How much do you want to extend?

Old Post 04-17-2017 11:45 PM
dosun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dosun Click here to Send dosun a Private Message Find more posts by dosun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Star1995

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Interesting, you bought a parcel of land and now you want to use your neighbors property as your own... Did you plan on paying more in property tax or you just want this land for free? I would hope the CoC would refuse this.

Old Post 04-18-2017 12:30 AM
Star1995 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Star1995 Click here to Send Star1995 a Private Message Find more posts by Star1995 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Do you have your property report that shows where your property ends, and the cities begins? I find it hard to imagine it's 15' from the sidewalk.

Old Post 04-18-2017 12:52 AM
Tik-Tok is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.89
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Do you have your property report that shows where your property ends, and the cities begins? I find it hard to imagine it's 15' from the sidewalk.

It might be one of those properties that has a sidewalk and a grass strip sandwiched between the road and the back fences of people's homes.

In this case, I think that the grass would indeed be outside of OP's property.

Old Post 04-18-2017 12:55 AM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.65
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Originally posted by dosun
Yard is narrow and would like some additional space for the dogs.
There is about 15 ft of space from the fence to the sidewalk and I just wanted to extend it out 5-6 ft towards it.

Maybe part of the original plan should've been to purchase a home with a large enough lot for your dogs. It's really bullshit that you think you can just annex some of the city's land for your needs - maybe I'll extend a fence in front of my place across the street so I don't have to deal with vehicles driving past my home.

Me, me, me, me - what a world we live in. Sorry if I sound harsh but to have the balls to even post what you're thinking of doing really peeves me. I think I'll stop here before I post something I'll regret.

Old Post 04-18-2017 01:14 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)

quote:

I have successfully gotten an encroachment agreement for a small landscaping structure on city land adjacent to my property. It's a total shitshow, and not a trivial undertaking.

If you want to discuss with me in person, send me a PM.

Old Post 04-18-2017 02:27 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeeper1986
Neutral

What I drive: 2002 jeep tj
Posts/Day: 0.09

quote:

Originally posted by FraserB

It might be one of those properties that has a sidewalk and a grass strip sandwiched between the road and the back fences of people's homes.

In this case, I think that the grass would indeed be outside of OP's property.

yep and its your responsibility to be cutting the city's grass too looool

Old Post 04-18-2017 05:04 AM
Jeeper1986 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeeper1986 Click here to Send Jeeper1986 a Private Message Find more posts by Jeeper1986 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblair
Second Gear

What I drive: Jap V8
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Holy shit, this is awesome.

I also want a bigger yard, I think I might move my fence 8' back into the alley and lay some sod. Come to think of it, I make better use of my yard than the neighbours do, maybe I'll move my fence over there a bit too!

Old Post 04-18-2017 07:04 AM
cjblair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cjblair Click here to Send cjblair a Private Message Find more posts by cjblair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.89

quote:

Originally posted by Jeeper1986

yep and its your responsibility to be cutting the city's grass too looool

In this case, it most likely wouldn't be if the original fence was built by the developer

Old Post 04-18-2017 07:10 AM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redblack
First Gear

What I drive: bus
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (11)

Re: Fence Extension onto City property quote:

Originally posted by dosun
Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this?
We recently purchased a home and while talking with the builder/seller, he says we can just extend the fence and pay the city down the road. However, while getting quotes from various contractors, they require an encroachment agreement from the city in order to proceed. I tried the "nice" path and submitted a request to the City of Calgary, only to get a firm NO on any type of structure on city property. Did I just hose myself or is there any other means? Do I just extend the fence and hope for the best?

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this, then it'd be greatly appreciated.

Time to shell out some cash and buy a bigger lot bro, this city does not give shit away for free.

Old Post 04-18-2017 10:56 AM
redblack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redblack Click here to Send redblack a Private Message Find more posts by redblack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.38

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I have successfully gotten an encroachment agreement for a small landscaping structure on city land adjacent to my property. It's a total shitshow, and not a trivial undertaking.

If you want to discuss with me in person, send me a PM.

What kind of structure was it. I feel this fence idea is going to be a tough sell.
A unique structure neighbors won't likely question. But when neighbors see his fence extending past theirs they are all going to want to apply for the encroachment agreement. Would be a giant gong show for the city so I don't see them ever approving the OP's request.

Edit: it is a huge piss off though that the builder is giving advice they have absolutely no business giving...

Last edited by J-hop on 04-18-2017 at 01:40 PM

Old Post 04-18-2017 01:18 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grampafunk

What I drive: g2 teg
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by speedog

Maybe part of the original plan should've been to purchase a home with a large enough lot for your dogs. It's really bullshit that you think you can just annex some of the city's land for your needs - maybe I'll extend a fence in front of my place across the street so I don't have to deal with vehicles driving past my home.

Me, me, me, me - what a world we live in. Sorry if I sound harsh but to have the balls to even post what you're thinking of doing really peeves me. I think I'll stop here before I post something I'll regret.

Preach! This has been really bugging me these days as well.

Old Post 04-18-2017 11:52 PM
grampafunk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for grampafunk Click here to Send grampafunk a Private Message Find more posts by grampafunk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

I need a garage but i dont have room, think the city will mind if i build one in the middle of the alley?

Old Post 04-18-2017 11:59 PM
Thaco is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoSup4U
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Annex the land and declare it a sovereign nation, I'm sure Russia will back you right now

Old Post 04-19-2017 12:18 AM
NoSup4U is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoSup4U Click here to Send NoSup4U a Private Message Find more posts by NoSup4U Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickyh
Neutral

What I drive: 2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Attachment: img_0604.png

Old Post 04-19-2017 02:12 AM
nickyh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickyh Click here to Send nickyh a Private Message Find more posts by nickyh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop

What kind of structure was it. I feel this fence idea is going to be a tough sell.

In my case, Ilive in a neighborhood where the fist fifteen feet or so of the front yards are city property. I've been told it was surveyed that way to allow for those "boulevard" strips between the sidewalk and the road, but on my street the sidewalk is beside the street.

Anyway, I built a brick/stone planter that goes pretty much right to the sidewalk. Didn't think it was much of a problem until I got an updated RPR, and couldn't get a compliance stamp on it because of an "unauthorized structure".

Spent six or eight months and a lot of fucking around, and nearly a thousand dollars, but I now have an encroachment agreement with the city permanently registered on the land title to allow this particular structure to exist on city land.

Don't know the details of the OP's situation, but if he's proposing to enclose city land inside his fence, I don't think that would ever be permitted. Unless you are Jim Shaw's place on crescent road and make a massive donation to the parks department.

Old Post 04-19-2017 04:17 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaeden

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Don't know the details of the OP's situation, but if he's proposing to enclose city land inside his fence, I don't think that would ever be permitted. Unless you are Jim Shaw's place on crescent road and make a massive donation to the parks department.

Don Taylor couldn't even pull off his proposal and he's dropped tens of millions on the local area.

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:07 AM
jaeden is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jaeden Click here to Send jaeden a Private Message Find more posts by jaeden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:07 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Fence Extension onto City property

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: