Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Mods Voiding Warranty


Author
Thread
swak
Second Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: FERD ST & Bikes
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 91%


Mods Voiding Warranty quote:

I have heard mixed opinions and views on this one...

View 1:
magnusson moss act - an aftermarket part cannot void warranty.

View 2:
Even chipping your car or adding a cold air intake / minor mods can void your warranty.

Has anyone had any struggles with their respective car companies by adding mods to their cars? Looking to chip my car / add cold air and some other minor stuff.... Added extended warranty though (only because ford), so dont want to screw with that.

__________________
Reppin'

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 08:58 PM
swak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swak Click here to Send swak a Private Message Find more posts by swak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
 
That.Guy.S30
FKA - Thi_Thi Subs

Location: Chinatown
What I drive: FJC, S30
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

From what I understand, aftermarket parts void only certain parts of your warranty.

Example, a cold air intake is not going to void your suspension claim but it might void your engine/power train claim. I also believe that they have to prove that the aftermarket part did the damage to the claim. Could be wrong on that one.

__________________
Submaker.Illest.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:13 PM
That.Guy.S30 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for That.Guy.S30 Click here to Send That.Guy.S30 a Private Message Find more posts by That.Guy.S30 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

I can't see how anyone can think flashing a computer can be covered by a warranty. They warranty the car under specified, tested limits. If you add 100 ft lbs torque to a 2.0 turbo or increase the rev limit to valve float, you're not getting a new engine or trans.


CAI should be fine same as catback. Don't tune/flash/chip if you're under warranty.

Even if they have to prove it, in the meantime, you have a broken car. After dealing with honda with a legit claim I got too fed up with their "system" for fixing a transmission. Basically, you take all the risk/cost during tear down. IF they decide to cover you after, you can breathe easy. That's a big IF

It's a Ford? Oh man,, don't, just don't until it's paid off and or out of warranty.

Last edited by Hallowed_point on 04-18-2017 at 09:28 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:25 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

Location: S.E. (not the drrty south)
What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%


Re: Mods Voiding Warranty quote:

Originally posted by swak
I have heard mixed opinions and views on this one...

View 1:
magnusson moss act - an aftermarket part cannot void warranty.



View 1: Not applicable to Canada. This is a US law, and has no equivalent here.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:37 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


Re: Re: Mods Voiding Warranty quote:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
View 1: Not applicable to Canada. This is a US law, and has no equivalent here.



Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:46 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK 2.0
Beyond's Biggest E-Mack

Location: Calgary Alberta
What I drive: ...BNT0B0X...
Posts/Day: 1.74
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
From what I understand, aftermarket parts void only certain parts of your warranty.

Example, a cold air intake is not going to void your suspension claim but it might void your engine/power train claim. I also believe that they have to prove that the aftermarket part did the damage to the claim. Could be wrong on that one.




In the dealership world this is the general consensus. There are obvious exceptions with "OEM Performance' SVT, Mopar, dealer installed "factory upgrades" are exempt and covered by most dealers who have to ability to warranty parts and labor for them Canada wide.

And then you have "upgrades" that independent dealers will install. Cochrane Toyota (Tacoma Town) lifting a Taco, or FJ or Runner will warranty their parts and their time; but take that lifted truck to a dealer in the city and they won't warranty or touch any issues arising from the mods.

Also some dealers are far more lax in dishing out warranty repairs than others are. And I have yet to wrap my head around why even with 17 years of dealership life under my belt.

__________________
...@therealarifjina...

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:52 PM
EK 2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK 2.0 Click here to Send EK 2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by EK 2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eglove
Third Gear

Location: :
What I drive: FERD
Posts/Day: 0.93
Trader Rating: (128)
User Rating: 94%


quote:

Never had issues at Ford when I take my car in. With my foST or fiST. Both are/were stage 3

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:53 PM
eglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eglove Click here to Send eglove a Private Message Find more posts by eglove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by eglove
Never had issues at Ford when I take my car in. With my foST or fiST. Both are/were stage 3

Is that an SVT or otherwise Ford approved upgrade?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 10:01 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dj_rice
owned by an '08 n00b! LOL

Location: Calgarian Living in Edmonton
What I drive: 93 240sx SE, 02 Pathfinder LE
Posts/Day: 1.18
Trader Rating: (34)
User Rating: 95%


quote:

Originally posted by EK 2.0



In the dealership world this is the general consensus. There are obvious exceptions with "OEM Performance' SVT, Mopar, dealer installed "factory upgrades" are exempt and covered by most dealers who have to ability to warranty parts and labor for them Canada wide.

And then you have "upgrades" that independent dealers will install. Cochrane Toyota (Tacoma Town) lifting a Taco, or FJ or Runner will warranty their parts and their time; but take that lifted truck to a dealer in the city and they won't warranty or touch any issues arising from the mods.

Also some dealers are far more lax in dishing out warranty repairs than others are. And I have yet to wrap my head around why even with 17 years of dealership life under my belt.



Great post. Full of knowledge

__________________

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 10:35 PM
dj_rice is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dj_rice Click here to Send dj_rice a Private Message Find more posts by dj_rice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eglove
Third Gear

Location: :
What I drive: FERD
Posts/Day: 0.93
Trader Rating: (128)
User Rating: 94%


quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Is that an SVT or otherwise Ford approved upgrade?



Most parts on the fiST are mountune - if dealer installed are covered. The foST were all cobb - not approved but they didn't seem to care. But never had anything go wrong with the car in 74,000KM. Tuned since 1,000km

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 10:51 PM
eglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eglove Click here to Send eglove a Private Message Find more posts by eglove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

^ Cool, but if you never had an issue then I don't see what you're getting at. Of course they are fine with mods until focus goes boom. They want to keep making $$$ for service visits.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 11:28 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
71/454
Neutral

Location: around
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%


quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point


CAI should be fine same as catback. Don't tune/flash/chip if you're under warranty.



Be careful with CAI. Google the CAI Hellcat debacle that took place in the US. Basically the supercharger bearings were bad in a bunch of Hellcats and people had the warranty denied to them because they added CAI. Some eventually got it solved by changing dealerships.

__________________

Originally posted by InRich
I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 04:17 PM
71/454 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 71/454 Click here to Send 71/454 a Private Message Find more posts by 71/454 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by 71/454
Be careful with CAI. Google the CAI Hellcat debacle that took place in the US. Basically the supercharger bearings were bad in a bunch of Hellcats and people had the warranty denied to them because they added CAI. Some eventually got it solved by changing dealerships.



I'll have to check that. When in doubt, don't mod it beyond wheels I guess. I've heard of Ford denying warranty for CAI on 5.0's as well.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 04:31 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickDaTuner
Third Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive: 05 GDB V.8 / 2014 TACO / SW20/ R1
Posts/Day: 0.59
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

If it's a decent dealership, it all comes down to what failed and how it failed.

I'd see tons of modded trucks back in Ford world, but would never deny anything based on just seeing a mod done.
If a guy brought in his car with an exhaust and intake, but had a cel for evaporate code, for sure I'd put the repair through.

But if a guy came in with the same mods and a cat inefficiency code, then I'd be a little more reserved in putting that through. Here in Canada we have CANVAP, it's the mitegating party that deals with all consumer complaints, and is the Supreme Court of all warranty decisions. Most shady dealerships will bully you into a customer pay repair, because it absolves them of the responsibility of potentially having a claim rejected by the manufacturer, and also gives them better profit margins. The other side of warranty claim denials is that dealerships get audited frequently from the manufacturers, this is to keep them in check and prevent the dealer from putting in false warranty claims for profit. In these audits if the technician working on your car didn't follow protocol 100% they will get a charge back on the work performed. I have seen personally a charge back for over $400k from the manufacturer to the dealer. That makes some service departments very fickle in giving out warranty.

My advice is that; if your going to mod a car under warranty, then you better be aware of what that mod will affect on your car, both the good and the bad, you can't just go on slapping parts because you're blinded by the madd hp it's going to give you. Then be prepared to tomhave what ever break, break. If the competent is too costly or to complex for you, then keep it stock.

As mentioned though, if it's a dealer backed part, then mod away!

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:59 PM
RickDaTuner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RickDaTuner Click here to Send RickDaTuner a Private Message Find more posts by RickDaTuner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cet
Neutral

Location: Calgary
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by eglove


Most parts on the fiST are mountune - if dealer installed are covered. The foST were all cobb - not approved but they didn't seem to care. But never had anything go wrong with the car in 74,000KM. Tuned since 1,000km



Are there any dealers in Calgary that will install and warranty Mountune?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 06:14 PM
cet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cet Click here to Send cet a Private Message Find more posts by cet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
If it's a decent dealership, it all comes down to what failed and how it failed.

I'd see tons of modded trucks back in Ford world, but would never deny anything based on just seeing a mod done.
If a guy brought in his car with an exhaust and intake, but had a cel for evaporate code, for sure I'd put the repair through.

But if a guy came in with the same mods and a cat inefficiency code, then I'd be a little more reserved in putting that through. Here in Canada we have CANVAP, it's the mitegating party that deals with all consumer complaints, and is the Supreme Court of all warranty decisions. Most shady dealerships will bully you into a customer pay repair, because it absolves them of the responsibility of potentially having a claim rejected by the manufacturer, and also gives them better profit margins. The other side of warranty claim denials is that dealerships get audited frequently from the manufacturers, this is to keep them in check and prevent the dealer from putting in false warranty claims for profit. In these audits if the technician working on your car didn't follow protocol 100% they will get a charge back on the work performed. I have seen personally a charge back for over $400k from the manufacturer to the dealer. That makes some service departments very fickle in giving out warranty.

My advice is that; if your going to mod a car under warranty, then you better be aware of what that mod will affect on your car, both the good and the bad, you can't just go on slapping parts because you're blinded by the madd hp it's going to give you. Then be prepared to tomhave what ever break, break. If the competent is too costly or to complex for you, then keep it stock.

As mentioned though, if it's a dealer backed part, then mod away!

Totally 100% agreed. And I don't look at dealers or manufacturers as evil for getting their backs up over modded vehicles. We as tuners choose that risk.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 06:19 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocket1k78
First Gear

Location: Calgary
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
^ Cool, but if you never had an issue then I don't see what you're getting at. Of course they are fine with mods until focus goes boom. They want to keep making $$$ for service visits.



Was going to say the same thing, how could you have any issues with them denying warranty on a mod if you dont have an issue for them to dispute Would be hilarious if there was an issue and they denied him

Its a gamble no matter what and with an extended warranty on the vehicle i would need some major hp for me to risk it.


On a side note did inrich really post this?!?!

Originally posted by InRich
I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:04 PM
Rocket1k78 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocket1k78 Click here to Send Rocket1k78 a Private Message Find more posts by Rocket1k78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

Location: calgary
What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%


quote:

There are far too many variables to answer the basic question "will mods void warranty".

A better question would be "would this specific mod y to vehicle x cause a potential issue with any associated parts' warranty claim, here in Canada?"

Depends on:

- part modded
- modded part used
- dealer mood regarding mods
- modded part subject to recall
- manufacturer mood
- vehicle specifics (eg. NISMO GTR ECU )
- location (us/Canada)
- what type of coffee the service rep had in the morning



Someone will recall better, but I seem to remember the RX8 engine debacle of a few years back where many dealers would deny warranty for almost any BS reason they could think of.

__________________

Last edited by revelations on 04-19-2017 at 08:04 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:10 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
'93 SR-V
Neutral

Location: Calgary, AB
What I drive: Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

I'd be carful with the chip... I have a friend who was a mechanic at Ford for a number of years and he told me about the guys who would blow up their engines using tuners/chips (mostly diesels and Eco-boost engines) and then try to warranty them without luck. Apparently even if you were to set the vehicle back to stock settings before bringing it in they could often tell that it had been modified.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:14 PM
'93 SR-V is offline Click Here to See the Profile for '93 SR-V Click here to Send '93 SR-V a Private Message Find more posts by '93 SR-V Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eglove
Third Gear

Location: :
What I drive: FERD
Posts/Day: 0.93
Trader Rating: (128)
User Rating: 94%


quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
^ Cool, but if you never had an issue then I don't see what you're getting at. Of course they are fine with mods until focus goes boom. They want to keep making $$$ for service visits.



Guess I should expand. By no issues I meant that I never had an issue with the dealership when something went wrong. Couple ignition coils went on the focus ST. Had no problems getting them replaced while tuned and the car being heavily modified.

Rad fan wasn't kicking on on the fiesta and it was running hot / almost overheated one day. Car is heavily modified and they had no issues warrantying the faulty part.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:31 PM
eglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eglove Click here to Send eglove a Private Message Find more posts by eglove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 12:42 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
 
Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Mods Voiding Warranty



Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread


Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 

Google
 
Web beyond.ca

Terms of Use - Contact Us - Advertising Info - Archives - Car Blog

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.9
Copyright ©2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Bringing Car Enthusiasts together in discussion on our car forums

Page Statistics : Page generated in 0.10374904 seconds (70.79% PHP - 29.21% MySQL) with 41 queries.