Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads?

Author
Thread
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 99%

Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads? quote:

It's pretty typical this time of year that there will be more than a few potholes from winter but I am seeing a lot of wide cracks that have developed all over city roads. Not quite potholes or regular cracks as they stretch out like valleys and are deep. I don't recall seeing to many cracks and valleys forming on major roads like this before. I'm wondering if it's just me but even roads that were paved not too long ago are in poor condition. Not sure if it's due the the increasingly heavy use of chemicals over the past few years or what but if you have your summer wheels on you really have to take care right now.

Last edited by heavyD on 04-19-2017 at 03:48 AM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:44 AM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Thats one reason I got rid of the 30 series rubber that came with the car from the previous owner. Utter nonsense - 45 or better - lest you like to fix bent rims all the time or swerve to avoid the giant craters around the city. It is pretty bad this year though.

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:00 AM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msixty

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

You mean frost heaves? Happen every year, freeze cycles cause them.

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:27 AM
msixty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msixty Click here to Send msixty a Private Message Find more posts by msixty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebane
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Frost heaves, infills and shitty ass repair jobs.

Old Post 04-19-2017 06:08 AM
firebane is online now Click Here to See the Profile for firebane Click here to Send firebane a Private Message Find more posts by firebane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

I thought it was voles on steroids.

Old Post 04-19-2017 02:52 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

What I drive: 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2012 GL350
Posts/Day: 0.12
User Rating: 97%

quote:

they gotta save up for Ken King's new stadium.

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:07 PM
Buster is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Buster Click here to Send Buster a Private Message Find more posts by Buster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Barlow between 7th Ave NE and 32nd Ave is like a wave. I drive this often after work and it's like I'm driving in a boat with my head smacking my headrest.

COOL STORY MENG

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:09 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7boi
Neutral

What I drive: (0^oo^0)~
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Cracks and potholes I can get over but I really hate how our weather makes roads wavy and sunken as fuck. Frost heaves are the worst.

There is one spot on Stoney that has sunken in (recently?), it's in the rightmost lane westbound a ways before before Symons Valley. It's like driving into a goddamn ditch.

Driving in the US = <3

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:18 PM
rx7boi is online now Click Here to See the Profile for rx7boi Click here to Send rx7boi a Private Message Find more posts by rx7boi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.24

quote:

Originally posted by rx7boi
Cracks and potholes I can get over but I really hate how our weather makes roads wavy and sunken as fuck. Frost heaves are the worst.

There is one spot on Stoney that has sunken in (recently?), it's in the rightmost lane westbound a ways before before Symons Valley. It's like driving into a goddamn ditch.

Driving in the US = &lt;3

So true. Just pretend that they are woops and that you're on an MX bike.

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:26 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Yea these are not frost heaves.

Deerfoot north between anderson and southland has them for miles in the middle lane. It appears its the joint between paving lifts is separating and crumbling away.

RIP summer wheels.

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:28 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7boi
Neutral

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

So true. Just pretend that they are woops and that you're on an MX bike.

True that. If I'm going to be fucking up my suspension I might as well have fun doing it.

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:35 PM
rx7boi is online now Click Here to See the Profile for rx7boi Click here to Send rx7boi a Private Message Find more posts by rx7boi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Originally posted by msixty
You mean frost heaves? Happen every year, freeze cycles cause them.

They happen every year? No way! Of course everyone knows the winter puts a toll on the roads. I've been driving on Calgary roads for decades and don't recall such road decay from a single winter. They are falling apart everywhere. Not sure if it's due to bad asphalt, paving, or the fact that the city has resorted to using a lot more chemicals and salts over the past few years.

Last edited by heavyD on 04-19-2017 at 03:42 PM

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:39 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

True that. If I'm going to be fucking up my suspension I might as well have fun doing it.

Word...catch some air

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:57 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Some of the repair jobs are worse than the hole they tried to fill. Pretty standard for Calgary.

Old Post 04-19-2017 04:27 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Some of the repair jobs are worse than the hole they tried to fill. Pretty standard for Calgary.

Yep..in bridle hood all they did is blob black patches into a huge cluster of pot holes. Looks terrible.

Old Post 04-19-2017 04:32 PM
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.29
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by heavyD

They happen every year? No way! Of course everyone knows the winter puts a toll on the roads. I've been driving on Calgary roads for decades and don't recall such road decay from a single winter. They are falling apart everywhere. Not sure if it's due to bad asphalt, paving, or the fact that the city has resorted to using a lot more chemicals and salts over the past few years.

Using private contractors and lowest bidder gets you this

The fact is, roads can be built that withstand frost heaving and don't fall apart in two years. We don't because our politicians are corrupt and only do what is necessary for their self interests

Old Post 04-19-2017 04:57 PM
HiTempguy1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nobb
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Driving in the US = &lt;3

Haha I know exactly the spot you are talking about. Have to slow to 70-80 to not risk bottoming out the suspension.

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:02 PM
nobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nobb Click here to Send nobb a Private Message Find more posts by nobb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Yup, its bad.

I blame the CIA, when they dug up the roads to put terrorist sensors in.

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:40 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51

quote:

There are some great holes this year for sure... a couple I'm actually worried if I hit them on the bike my front wheel will stop rotating

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:42 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7boi
Neutral

quote:

Is there a way to call these in or don't bother at all because the city doesn't care?

Reminds me of those pictures online where people plant flowers in potholes to get them fixed haha.

Old Post 04-19-2017 06:55 PM
The time now is 03:27 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: