Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Honda Accord > * (split from Golf R thread)

Author
Thread
Darkane
Second Gear

What I drive: N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Well guys let's put it into perspective.

4.2 is 'quick' but it's not really fast. Let me explain.

The manufacturers are still addressing 0-60 times because that's what people know. Unfortunately it doesn't mean much in the real world. A GT350 does 0-60 SLOWER than a golf R, but at the end of 400m it gets there about a second quicker and is traveling 10mph faster.

This isn't a fair comparison but it illustrates my point.

Cars can do 4 second sprints these days because they're engineered to excel at certain parameters. I had a turbo D-series civic I built. It did 0-60 in probably 5.5+ but I managed a [email protected] Not too far behind the golf R, especially the manual model (apples and such).

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Kim Kardashian Sex tape:

Originally posted by hadookin
nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2017 06:15 PM
Darkane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darkane Click here to Send Darkane a Private Message Find more posts by Darkane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by Darkane
Well guys let's put it into perspective.

4.2 is 'quick' but it's not really fast. Let me explain.

The manufacturers are still addressing 0-60 times because that's what people know. Unfortunately it doesn't mean much in the real world. A GT350 does 0-60 SLOWER than a golf R, but at the end of 400m it gets there about a second quicker and is traveling 10mph faster.

This isn't a fair comparison but it illustrates my point.

Cars can do 4 second sprints these days because they're engineered to excel at certain parameters. I had a turbo D-series civic I built. It did 0-60 in probably 5.5+ but I managed a [email protected] Not too far behind the golf R, especially the manual model (apples and such).

This is so true. I'm more interested in 0-100, 5-60 & passing power.

Old Post 04-18-2017 06:38 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buh_buh
Mr. Beyond

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.34
Trader Rating: (37)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

This is so true. I'm more interested in 0-100, 5-60 & passing power.

You agree with more real world numbers, but more interested in 0-100 times? How often are you doing 0-160kph runs in the real world? I'm not sure I've ever done that outside of the drag strip. I think a more real world number is 30-60 or 60-100.

Old Post 04-18-2017 06:41 PM
buh_buh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buh_buh Click here to Send buh_buh a Private Message Find more posts by buh_buh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by buh_buh
You agree with more real world numbers, but more interested in 0-100 times? How often are you doing 0-160kph runs in the real world? I'm not sure I've ever done that outside of the drag strip. I think a more real world number is 30-60 or 60-100.

Maybe. Never ended up at a red light next to a mustang @ 1 AM? 0-100 tells a better tale than 1/4 mile (eg poor 60 foot due to crappy factory tires.) 0-100 for my car is rated at 13.4 seconds stock vs the 1/4 mile of 14.0 seconds. Again, due to the crap fuel saver tires that came with it.

Old Post 04-18-2017 06:55 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
b_t
b_t is a huge fag

What I drive: FC3S 10AE / Tacoma
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Huh.. a bad launch (aka a bad 60' time) will affect your 0-100 times and 1/4 mile times equally

Old Post 04-18-2017 07:38 PM
b_t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for b_t Click here to Send b_t a Private Message Find more posts by b_t Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aleks
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 17 Honda Ridgeline, 12 Honda Odyssey, 04 330i zhp
Posts/Day: 0.87
Trader Rating: (13)

quote:

5-60 mph is more important to me than 0-60. 1/4 mile mph is the other number that tells how fast a car really is.

Joined 07/2002

Old Post 04-18-2017 07:50 PM
Aleks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aleks Click here to Send Aleks a Private Message Find more posts by Aleks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by b_t
Huh.. a bad launch (aka a bad 60' time) will affect your 0-100 times and 1/4 mile times equally

That's true. I can't figure out then why my car is rated @ 14 flat @ 103 mph and also 0-100 in 13.4

5-60 is very important. Just ask anyone in a GTI or STI with stock tune.

Old Post 04-18-2017 08:08 PM
benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.64
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

That's true. I can't figure out then why my car is rated @ 14 flat @ 103 mph and also 0-100 in 13.4

Because it takes .6 seconds to accelerate from 100 to 103 mph?

Old Post 04-18-2017 08:21 PM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
b_t
b_t is a huge fag

What I drive: FC3S 10AE / Tacoma
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

a bad launch will show when your trap speed is unusually high for your ET in the quarter mile.. your car traps pretty fast for a 14 second ET, which is indicative of problems leaving the line. typical for a factory FWD

just quickly lookin at Hot Rod Drag Week results guys trapping around 103mph were running mid to high 12s

Old Post 04-18-2017 08:38 PM
b_t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for b_t Click here to Send b_t a Private Message Find more posts by b_t Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by 94boosted

I wonder if that's the euro-spec one with the performance package?

The North American spec ones don't get any more power or better tires so I don't see how it could be quicker than the 15-17's. And with (I'm assuming) closer gear ratios it'll still need 3rd gear to hit 60MPH.

They were saying 4.2s on this clip:

Old Post 04-18-2017 08:55 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

0-100 for my car is rated at 13.4 seconds stock vs the 1/4 mile of 14.0 seconds.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car and what is the MPH in the 1/4 mile? Obviously it is going over 100mph in the 1/4 mile, but that seems odd to be going that quick and taking 14 seconds.

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:00 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I don't mind all the X-60 times because that's where most people drive most of the time, especially if the car is a daily driver. I don't really care about 1/4 mile times because there would never be a scenario where I would be going 0-100MPH. X-60 times give me a good idea of what I might actually experience.

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:10 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by blownz
Out of curiosity, what kind of car and what is the MPH in the 1/4 mile? Obviously it is going over 100mph in the 1/4 mile, but that seems odd to be going that quick and taking 14 seconds.

2014 Accord coupe 6 speed with the 278 hp (ha!) V6. I tack it up to how awful the factory tires are for grip. It really moves once it hooks up for what it is. Just ask the dude in his 2014 STI lol I've seen a variety of stock traps from 101 - 103 mph.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ual-test-review

Old Post 04-18-2017 09:16 PM
Redlined_8000
First Gear

What I drive: Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I think it's awesome you can buy a ~$42K hatch that is that fast. I wish there were more things like it. For me, 4.2 sec wouldn't need "waking up"

Its quick from a launch but it does run out of breath when doing top end pulling on the highway. Thats where it needs a bit of help. And im talking for the 2017 version with the 6sp DSG. 2018 version gets a 7sp DSG however horse power remains the same at 292.

Im happy with it its a great car stock. A tune really does wake it up though. There is nothing breakthrough about this car. It just combines the power you get from your average performance 2.0T engine and adds DSG and launch control. Thats all it does. Its not anything revolutionary here lol.

Old Post 04-18-2017 10:17 PM
Redlined_8000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlined_8000 Click here to Send Redlined_8000 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlined_8000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redlined_8000
First Gear

What I drive: Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by 94boosted

I wonder if that's the euro-spec one with the performance package?

The North American spec ones don't get any more power or better tires so I don't see how it could be quicker than the 15-17's. And with (I'm assuming) closer gear ratios it'll still need 3rd gear to hit 60MPH.

Yeah that euro spec one had the Performance pack with the Michelin cup2 tires, Akropovic exhaust and the 10hp increase above 2017 version.

Maybe the 7sp is a bit more snappy for 0-60 times.

Old Post 04-18-2017 10:29 PM
Redlined_8000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlined_8000 Click here to Send Redlined_8000 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlined_8000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Maybe. Never ended up at a red light next to a mustang @ 1 AM? 0-100 tells a better tale than 1/4 mile (eg poor 60 foot due to crappy factory tires.) 0-100 for my car is rated at 13.4 seconds stock vs the 1/4 mile of 14.0 seconds. Again, due to the crap fuel saver tires that came with it.

Sorry are you saying your v6 accord is rated at a 13.4 quarter mile

Old Post 04-18-2017 11:05 PM
riander5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiSpec
Second Gear

What I drive: AWD grandpa wagon
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Originally posted by Redlined_8000

Yeah that euro spec one had the Performance pack with the Michelin cup2 tires, Akropovic exhaust and the 10hp increase above 2017 version.

Maybe the 7sp is a bit more snappy for 0-60 times.

They get all the goodies from the Clubsport car

Old Post 04-18-2017 11:06 PM
HiSpec is online now Click Here to See the Profile for HiSpec Click here to Send HiSpec a Private Message Find more posts by HiSpec Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by riander5

Sorry are you saying your v6 accord is rated at a 13.4 quarter mile

No, it's rated @ 14.0. Lowest I've seen is a 13.8 for a magazine review. I believe it is a mid to high 13 second car when it hooks up nicely. It's taken down Audi A4's, Q5 3.0 T, Camry V6, a WRX STI and other cars that run around a 14.0. A legit sleeper for sure.

Old Post 04-18-2017 11:30 PM
colinxx235
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

No, it's rated @ 14.0. Lowest I've seen is a 13.8 for a magazine review. I believe it is a mid to high 13 second car when it hooks up nicely. It's taken down Audi A4's, Q5 3.0 T, Camry V6, a WRX STI and other cars that run around a 14.0. A legit sleeper for sure.

Something tells me the STI wasn't pushing his car... that or has no clue how to drive/shift cause it would roast you

the other cars you listed are in a much slower class (much like your accord)

Old Post 04-19-2017 02:55 AM
colinxx235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinxx235 Click here to Send colinxx235 a Private Message Find more posts by colinxx235 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

I'd rather see lap times than 1/4 mile... 0-60 is also important for the sensation that most will feel actually living with the car around town... but if it doesn't turn, who cares

Old Post 04-19-2017 03:51 AM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:00 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Honda Accord > * (split from Golf R thread)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: