Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > Honda reclaims FWD Nurburgring record

Author
Thread
Redlined_8000
First Gear

What I drive: Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 97%

Honda reclaims FWD Nurburgring record quote:

Honda just posted a video of the 2018 CTR lapping the Nurburg. Time is 7min 43sec

* Done on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.
Apr 24, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
2017 Civic Type R laps Nürburgring in record 7 minutes 43.80 seconds

Ohio-made 2.0-liter VTEC® TURBO engine powers Civic to new record

Advanced aerodynamics deliver best-in-class balance between lift and drag

Civic Type R – America's first Honda Type R model – goes on sale late spring

Less than two months before its U.S. launch, the 2017 Honda Civic Type R has claimed the title of world's fastest production front-wheel-drive (FWD) production car, setting a new benchmark lap time at Germany's legendary Nürburgring. On April 3, 2017, a Civic Type R lapped the 12.9-mile Nordschleife (north loop) in a record 7 minutes 43.80 seconds. This new benchmark time represents an improvement of nearly 7 seconds compared to the previous-generation (European market) Type R, and over 3 seconds faster than the previous FWD record. Video footage of the benchmark lap can be viewed on Honda's YouTube channel at Honda.us/TypeRLapRecord.

Multiple factors contribute to the new Civic Type R's benchmark time including its high-performance 2.0-liter VTEC TURBO engine – with peak output of 306 horsepower (hp)1 and 295 lb.-ft. of torque2. The engine, which makes the new Civic Type R the most powerful Honda ever sold in America, is manufactured in the U.S. at Honda's Anna, Ohio engine plant3. The Type R's six-speed manual transmission with new, lower gear ratios further improves the car's acceleration, while the new Type R's comprehensive aerodynamic package delivers outstanding high-speed stability with an optimal balance between aerodynamic stability and drag.

The highly rigid body of the all-new Civic Type R is over 35 lbs. lighter than the previous-generation (European market) model, and boasts a 38-percent gain in torsional stiffness. The 10th-generation Civic platform's new multi-link rear suspension enhances stability under braking and reduces the total roll movement of the car, enabling later braking into corners and helping to achieve higher cornering speeds during the lap.

Ryuichi Kijima, the lead chassis engineer for the Honda Civic Type R development explains the model's most significant improvements around the Nürburgring compared to the previous-generation car: "The cornering speed achieved in the new Type R is higher because the car features a wider track and tires, a longer wheelbase, a new multi-link suspension in the rear and optimized aerodynamics that improve stability. For example, drivers typically enter the corner after Metzgesfeld at around 150 km/h (93 mph). Even at this medium-speed corner, the speed is around 10 km/h (6 mph) higher due to the new Type R's excellent stability. So, with improved cornering performance, we can increase the speed throughout the lap, helping the new Type R to achieve a much quicker lap time."

The pre-production development Civic Type R that achieved the lap time was technically representative of production specification. A full floating roll cage was installed for safety reasons, but did not provide any additional rigidity to the body frame. The extra weight of the cage was compensated for by the removal of the Display Audio system and rear seats. The car was using street legal, track-focused tires.

The new Civic Type R, the very first production Honda Type R model for America, is the final piece in the 10th-generation Honda Civic launch that began in the fall of 2015 with the Civic Sedan, named 2016 North American Car of the Year. The Civic lineup, featuring the most ambitious and extensive remake in the model's 44-year history, includes the premium and sporty Civic Sedan and Coupe; the versatile and Euro-inspired Civic Hatchback; the fast and agile new Civic Si Sedan and Coupe, launching next month; and the ultimate representation of Civic performance, the new Civic Type R.

Production of the new Civic Type R began in March 2017 at Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM) in Swindon, England – the global manufacturing hub for the tenth generation Civic hatchback.

Fastest FWD car ever. Quick time. This reminds me of a FWD GT-R lol.

Last edited by Redlined_8000 on 04-24-2017 at 04:46 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:23 PM
Redlined_8000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlined_8000 Click here to Send Redlined_8000 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlined_8000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)
User Rating: 100%

Re: Honda reclaims FWD Nurburgring record quote:

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Honda just posted a video of the 2018 CTR lapping the Nurburg. Time is 7min 43sec

Fastest FWD car ever. Quick time. This reminds me of a FWD GT-R lol.

Accord 6-6 could do it faster.

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:31 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Thanks for posting. That's absolutely insane.

Honda makes one heck of a FWD car. I can't think of another company who can make a FWD platform "fun." Maybe VW.

Last edited by Hallowed_point on 04-24-2017 at 04:46 PM

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:35 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redlined_8000
First Gear

What I drive: Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Honda makes one heck of a FWD car. I can't think of another company who can make a FWD platform "fun." Maybe VW.

VW Clubsport S is suppose to be very very good. It is only 3sec off the CTR's time. And its a 6mt only too.

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:49 PM
Redlined_8000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlined_8000 Click here to Send Redlined_8000 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlined_8000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I have a tough time believing these manufacturers and their tire claims and even the roll cage claims.

Quick car but not necessairly the exact same car you're getting off the show room floor.

Old Post 04-24-2017 04:58 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

Re: Re: Honda reclaims FWD Nurburgring record quote:

Originally posted by Strider
Accord 6-6 could do it faster.

It would be very close. The accord was built for crushing STi's in the straights. That was mission # 1 for Honda. This is a totally different vision here. GT-R killer Type R.

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:35 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
born2workoncars

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

Wow. Faster than an r33 GTR. That's an impressive FWD automobile.

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:44 PM
born2workoncars is online now Click Here to See the Profile for born2workoncars Click here to Send born2workoncars a Private Message Find more posts by born2workoncars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpomp
STi Killer

What I drive: 16 GTI, 15 FiST
Posts/Day: 0.89
Trader Rating: (58)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Ford makes a few

Originally posted by scat19
I don't care if that wing is a jspoon or whatever it's huge and gross.

Originally posted by slinkie
its a honda not a zonda

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:45 PM
gpomp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for gpomp Click here to Send gpomp a Private Message Visit gpomp's homepage! Find more posts by gpomp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A2VR6
Second Gear

What I drive: Beetle
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

Mazda? They make some of the best FWD cars to drive.

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:49 PM
A2VR6 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for A2VR6 Click here to Send A2VR6 a Private Message Find more posts by A2VR6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Mazda is awesome at making slow cars that feel fast. As good as Honda I would say. Really, that's more important to drivers like me who don't race.

Old Post 04-24-2017 05:58 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpomp
STi Killer

What I drive: 16 GTI, 15 FiST
Posts/Day: 0.89
Trader Rating: (58)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Mazda is awesome at making slow cars that feel fast. As good as Honda I would say. Really, that's more important to drivers like me who don't race.

The Recession Fighter is actually pretty fun to drive with the upgraded rear sway bar and the sticky Michelins.

Originally posted by scat19
I don't care if that wing is a jspoon or whatever it's huge and gross.

Originally posted by slinkie
its a honda not a zonda

Old Post 04-24-2017 06:01 PM
gpomp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for gpomp Click here to Send gpomp a Private Message Visit gpomp's homepage! Find more posts by gpomp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

No too surprising - I think we all knew this was their goal, and they had a blank slate to work with to get it there. Pretty wild for a wrong-wheel-drive car though haha. I didn't think they would beat the old record by as much as they did.

How relevant this will be to 99% of the buyers of the CTR though, I don't know haha.

Old Post 04-24-2017 06:32 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Pretty wild for a wrong-wheel-drive car though haha.

I think once you reach a certain point, it stops being about the drive wheels, and starts being more about down-force

You know what this means? Wings are finally in again... haha

Old Post 04-24-2017 09:39 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I think once you reach a certain point, it stops being about the drive wheels, and starts being more about down-force

Old Post 04-24-2017 09:50 PM
JAYMEZ

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.81
Trader Rating: (17)

quote:

Damn

2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Old Post 04-24-2017 09:51 PM
JAYMEZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAYMEZ Click here to Send JAYMEZ a Private Message Find more posts by JAYMEZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

True enough. Porsche showed us all a long time ago how unconventional design can be completely overcome and turned into some of the most impressive automotive products available. Maybe the biggest challenge on the 'ring (besides not dying) is keeping the car glued down to the road.

Old Post 04-24-2017 09:55 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

There are quite a few but not this side of the pond. Ford Focus, Seat Cupra, Renault, Alfa Romeao, Peugeot...
Some not as quick, (that Type R lap is insanely fast) but fun to drive..

Old Post 04-24-2017 10:02 PM
tonytiger55 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GingeRRRBeef
[3/3] : LaQuessha

What I drive: 2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH
Posts/Day: 0.16

Re: Re: Re: Honda reclaims FWD Nurburgring record quote:

It would be very close. The accord was built for crushing STi's in the straights. That was mission # 1 for Honda. This is a totally different vision here. GT-R killer Type R.

Can we line up the coupe 6-6 with light wheels and the new CTR? That would be epic.

Old Post 04-25-2017 03:00 AM
GingeRRRBeef is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GingeRRRBeef Click here to Send GingeRRRBeef a Private Message Visit GingeRRRBeef's homepage! Find more posts by GingeRRRBeef Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28

quote:

Originally posted by born2workoncars
Wow. Faster than an r33 GTR. That's an impressive FWD automobile.

Not really. Tires are the #2 performance difference on pavement, with power being #1. A R33 GTR "only" made ~290hp and weighed more. And the tires were shiiiiiiiit.

Originally posted by mr2mike
I have a tough time believing these manufacturers and their tire claims and even the roll cage claims.

Quick car but not necessairly the exact same car you're getting off the show room floor.

There are certain "street legal" high performance tires that might as well be called r-compounds or full on race slicks. Unless these tests are ran with the cars on the same tires as the other cars, they are pretty pointless.

End of the day, the car is still fast though :o

Old Post 04-25-2017 03:24 AM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

Agreed.
I'll be interested to see how they accomplished this once the tuners get in there and start tearing into it.

My guess is some great ECU and TCU tuning. Not just the standard, get the most power but methods to increase predictive alogithm's for out of corner response and into turn response, etc.

Old Post 04-25-2017 04:16 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:17 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > Honda reclaims FWD Nurburgring record

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: