Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Unsecured LOC - what is a good rate right now?

Author
Thread
Zero102
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 99%

Unsecured LOC - what is a good rate right now? quote:

I'm wondering what sort of rates people are seeing on unsecured lines of credit? Right now we have a $10k unsecured LOC at prime + 2.25% at PC Financial and I was looking to raise the limit on the LOC to temporarily cover the cost of some renovations and am trying to figure out if the rate is reasonable or whether I should also be asking for a reduction there. We don't generally carry a balance, it has always just been for emergencies but we were looking at spending some money on the house then adjusting our financing to get the money back off the LOC. It's just for a few months so the rate doesn't really matter THAT much but I hate giving money to the bank.

Originally posted by Vagabond142
Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-25-2017 05:01 AM
Zero102 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zero102 Click here to Send Zero102 a Private Message Find more posts by Zero102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

That sounds like a reasonable rate to me. I currently have an unsecured student rate LOC at TD Prime Rate + 1.50%.

If you want a lower rate do you have any equity to put against it? Cars, toys?

Old Post 04-25-2017 05:20 AM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Why not HELOC for renovation? You could be looking at a saving of 2%.

Old Post 04-26-2017 05:39 PM
Xtrema is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

For unsecured, rate is usually anywhere from 6 - 12 % at TD. The average being around 8/9%.

If your doing renovations, its not a bad idea to talk to the bank about getting a HELOC. The rate would be better and its generally a better suited product for the home reno's.

Old Post 04-26-2017 07:07 PM
tonytiger55 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpomp
STi Killer

What I drive: 16 GTI, 15 FiST
Posts/Day: 0.90
Trader Rating: (58)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

My unsecured LOC at TD is 4.7% (prime +2)

Originally posted by scat19
I don't care if that wing is a jspoon or whatever it's huge and gross.

Originally posted by slinkie
its a honda not a zonda

Old Post 04-26-2017 08:13 PM
gpomp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpomp Click here to Send gpomp a Private Message Visit gpomp's homepage! Find more posts by gpomp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I get offers in the mail all the time from TD offering me prime flat for a year, then it goes up to Prime +3% or whatever it is.

Since this is temporary, that sounds like something like that would be your best bet.

If you're paying more than 5.XX% or so for an unsecured LoC you're probably getting ripped off.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 04-26-2017 at 08:38 PM

Old Post 04-26-2017 08:36 PM
Mitsu3000gt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chongkee_
Neutral

What I drive: golfR
Posts/Day: 0.06

quote:

Originally posted by gpomp
My unsecured LOC at TD is 4.7% (prime +2)

Opened one from TD a month or so ago, got the same (prime + 1.9).

Old Post 04-26-2017 08:41 PM
chongkee_ is online now Click Here to See the Profile for chongkee_ Click here to Send chongkee_ a Private Message Find more posts by chongkee_ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 98%

quote:

+1.5 is what I have seen to be best for unsecured.

+.5 is what I have seen to be best for secured.

I have not seen any of the promotional one year or six month rates.

Old Post 04-26-2017 08:53 PM
ee2k is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ee2k Click here to Send ee2k a Private Message Find more posts by ee2k Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If you're paying more than 5.XX% or so for an unsecured LoC you're probably getting ripped off.

Or have not so good credit. Prime +1% to +2% should be the norm tho for unsecured. HELOC should be around Prime + or - 0.5%

Old Post 04-26-2017 08:53 PM
Xtrema is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

Or have not so good credit. Prime +1% to +2% should be the norm tho for unsecured. HELOC should be around Prime + or - 0.5%

This. Low interest rates are offered and/or negotiated based on merit.

Old Post 04-26-2017 09:02 PM
ee2k is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ee2k Click here to Send ee2k a Private Message Find more posts by ee2k Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero102
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

We are not doing a HELOC because we already have a mortgage on the property and although there is room left in the value of the property we have another way of paying it off in a couple months. First need to find out what the total cost is going to be because getting money out multiple times will be tough. It seemed simpler to just pay out of the LOC until we've finished the job then pay it back at the end. The total duration is likely to be just 2-3 months so getting then closing a HELOC would probably end up being a bad idea whereas the LOC we would just hang on to with the higher limit.

If prime + 1.5% is doing really well we're not bad at prime + 2.25% but I'll try to talk them down when we get the limit increased.

Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Old Post 04-26-2017 10:59 PM
Zero102 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zero102 Click here to Send Zero102 a Private Message Find more posts by Zero102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:

quote:

If prime + 1.5% is doing really well we're not bad at prime + 2.25% but I'll try to talk them down when we get the limit increased. [/B]

If you intend to repay within a couple of months and not carry a balance, then the difference between 1.5 and 2.25 is negligible, and at times, worth not touching especially if your credit inquiries have had activity in recent times. If you were to keep a balance like $30000 for a few years, then every little bit counts. Also worth negotiating better rate if you're updating the LOC amount.

I personally can't be bothered by it for a couple of months.

Old Post 04-26-2017 11:05 PM
Zero102
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by ee2k

If you intend to repay within a couple of months and not carry a balance, then the difference between 1.5 and 2.25 is negligible, and at times, worth not touching especially if your credit inquiries have had activity in recent times. If you were to keep a balance like $30000 for a few years, then every little bit counts. Also worth negotiating better rate if you're updating the LOC amount.

I personally can't be bothered by it for a couple of months.

A fair point but we need the limit raised anyway, I figured I would ask while I had them whether they would lower the rate but I didn't have a good idea of whether I was already at a low rate, sort of a "if they say no should I go elsewhere?" kind of thing

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:20 PM
msommers
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 10' 4Runner SR5
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (44)

quote:

Fuck so prime + 3.50% sounds like I'm getting ripped! Mortgage renewal is up October, sounds like I better throw that in their face. My credit score is good, wonder if it's because I've been carrying a balance for the last year or something. #studentsalaryblows

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:34 PM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

quote:

Originally posted by msommers
Fuck so prime + 3.50% sounds like I'm getting ripped! Mortgage renewal is up October, sounds like I better throw that in their face. My credit score is good, wonder if it's because I've been carrying a balance for the last year or something. #studentsalaryblows

Not necessarily. It could depend on different factors and financial profile.

The amount of times Ive had customers come in wanting a ULOC. They would go on about how their buddy got a good rate etc. Then they would sit there with their dick in thier hands rubbing one out whilst giving me the crazy eyes grinning. Then once I do their application the rate is not what they expected. They go nuts. They lose their hardon and their dick flops.
They rant on about how their friends got a good rate etc. So I ask them, do they know how much income their friends have, debit, savings etc? The usual answer is no, so they walk out sheepishly with the dick hanging between their legs.

Credit is based on four factors, income, savings, credit score and debit. That's why its going to be different for everyone.
Different banks target different demographics at times and it also depends on the flavour of the month and your personal financial profile. But yeah if your mortgage is up, plan a head, speak to a good professional.

Old Post 04-28-2017 10:07 PM
tonytiger55 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msommers
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 10' 4Runner SR5
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (44)

quote:

Originally posted by tonytiger55

But yeah if your mortgage is up, plan a head,

So...don't pull my dick out?

Old Post 04-28-2017 10:09 PM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

quote:

Originally posted by msommers

So...don't pull my dick out?

Speak to a seasoned adviser about your financial profile. Your income, debit, & savings. Figure out your short term plan and long term plan. I.e what are your financial plans for the next five years, 10 years. Do you have kids or is one on the way etc. Do you want to pay off your mortgage early?

So when you come to renew, Does your profile look healthy or risky? On your account does it look like you go macdonalds everyday, have big car payments, irregular savings pattern, are you living pay cheque to pay cheque, your financial profile poses a risk. Ok that is a extreme example but its common. But it reduces your ability to beat your mortgage renewal guy with your dick. You have no leverage to argue for a good rate.

...don't give the the crazy eyes.

Old Post 04-28-2017 10:35 PM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

This thread got unexpectedly sexy. I didn't expect to be turned on in the finance section of the forum, but well, here we are . . . .

Old Post 04-28-2017 10:39 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ee2k

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by tonytiger55

Speak to a seasoned adviser about your financial profile. Your income, debit, & savings. Figure out your short term plan and long term plan. I.e what are your financial plans for the next five years, 10 years. Do you have kids or is one on the way etc. Do you want to pay off your mortgage early?

So when you come to renew, Does your profile look healthy or risky? On your account does it look like you go macdonalds everyday, have big car payments, irregular savings pattern, are you living pay cheque to pay cheque, your financial profile poses a risk. Ok that is a extreme example but its common. But it reduces your ability to beat your mortgage renewal guy with your dick. You have no leverage to argue for a good rate.

...don't give the the crazy eyes.

Tonytiger, what's the worst scenario you have seen? For educational purposes.

Old Post 04-28-2017 10:53 PM
sabad66
Second Gear

What I drive: 2013 Q5
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (77)

quote:

Last year when i was shopping for a Personal LOC, BMO told me they are based on "base rate" and not the prime rate. "Base rate" = Prime + 3%

I ended up getting approved for base rate + 0.95%, so effectively i was getting prime + 3.95% which is 6.65% today.

I have pretty good credit and was told this is one of the better rates for PLOCs. Was i getting trolled with this whole "base rate" nonsense? I'm curious to know if anyone within the last year has received anything lower than 6.65% on a PLOC.

If you have an existing PLOC at prime + 1-3% i would say that's pretty good and doubtful you'll get much better than that unless you go to a HELOC.

Last edited by sabad66 on 04-28-2017 at 11:04 PM

Old Post 04-28-2017 11:00 PM
sabad66 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for sabad66 Click here to Send sabad66 a Private Message Find more posts by sabad66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:04 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Unsecured LOC - what is a good rate right now?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: