Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > FedEx, UPS, USPS?

Author
Thread
nytrydr89

What I drive: e92
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

FedEx, UPS, USPS? quote:

Shipping an exhaust from the US and was curious which transport company would be best? Typically I find duty on UPS packages are outrageous. I did just receive some other car parts from Taiwan through FedEx and paid $19.40 dutie on a $300 USD part. I can't use USPS which is what I normally use as it transfers to CanadaPost once it crosses the border because the box is too large.

Suggestions?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:37 PM
nytrydr89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nytrydr89 Click here to Send nytrydr89 a Private Message Find more posts by nytrydr89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

born2workoncars

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Get a copy of the shipment (commercial) invoice. Refuse the shipment at the door. Clear package and pay duty in person at CBSA. Pick up package down the street. I do this all the time and save a bundle.

http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-...-brokerage-fee/

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:43 PM
born2workoncars is offline Click Here to See the Profile for born2workoncars Click here to Send born2workoncars a Private Message Find more posts by born2workoncars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GTR_Auto
Forum Sponsor

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

I like DHL

OEM & OE Parts
United Motorsport, Sonax Canada, COBB, KW, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, HKS, Remus Exhaust, Achilles Motorsports, Stoptec

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:46 PM
GTR_Auto is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GTR_Auto Click here to Send GTR_Auto a Private Message Visit GTR_Auto's homepage! Find more posts by GTR_Auto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

as long as its shipped air the charges are reasonable on any courier, its ground shipments that get bent over, typically its way worth it to just pay for the air shipping, and you get it faster too.

Although USPS, is the best option, flat rate of $8 +tax/duty (and often anything under like $100 they don't even bother with) But USPS often cant handle large parcels like an exhaust so it might not be an option.

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:50 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

All the import info is available on their websites - just pick the cheapest one.

$19.40 duty on $300 is also nothing - that's very normal.

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:51 PM
Mitsu3000gt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

$19.40 duty on $300 is also nothing - that's very normal.

yeah that nothing, not to mention duty is set across the board by the govt, not the couriers... there are 3 different fees to consider

Duty and Tax are set by the govt, different %'s for different items and even different origins.
Brokerage is decided by the courier and normally where you get bent over.

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:55 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Personally I'm a big fan of just shipping stuff to the border. Typically it's free shipping from a US company, and I usually have a few orders I pick up at one time.

7 hours round trip, $50 in gas, and GST only.

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:58 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nytrydr89

What I drive: e92
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Oh I am not complaining the $19.40 was reasonable considering $10 of it was the charge FedEx took for paying the duty to Border Services. The exhaust will be declared at $1000 USD so I am exploring my options just trying to avoid a headache. Last year I shipped an exhaust with similar value through USPS and it only cost me $40 cad in duty. The box was much smaller though.

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:59 PM
nytrydr89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nytrydr89 Click here to Send nytrydr89 a Private Message Find more posts by nytrydr89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

What I drive: Fiesta ST
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

USPS to Canada post is my favorite but slower. DHL everyday if I have to use a courier.

Old Post 04-26-2017 08:22 PM
pheoxs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco

quote:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Personally I'm a big fan of just shipping stuff to the border. Typically it's free shipping from a US company, and I usually have a few orders I pick up at one time.

7 hours round trip, $50 in gas, and GST only.

you still have to pay duty not just GST

Old Post 04-26-2017 09:34 PM
msommers
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 10' 4Runner SR5
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (44)

quote:

USPS every time if I can.

I bought some special writing book for a christmas gift. Book was $30 USD, shipping w/ Fedex as the only option $35USD, then I get an invoice a month later for like $12CAD.

We all know UPS blows, don't even bother.

Old Post 04-27-2017 02:16 AM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by Thaco
you still have to pay duty not just GST

Technically you're supposed to yes, however I think I've only ever paid duty once in a dozen trips for some clothes. I've never had to for auto parts, even when I specifically tell them they're from China, etc.

Old Post 04-27-2017 05:22 AM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco

quote:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Technically you're supposed to yes, however I think I've only ever paid duty once in a dozen trips for some clothes. I've never had to for auto parts, even when I specifically tell them they're from China, etc.

my experience is the opposite, i have only come back one time over limit (i normally stay down for the weekend for the excemption, family of 4 == $$$) but one time i was camping near lethbridge so we just ran down to the border to pick up from the warehouse (and gas up) and i had to pay duty on everything (clothing at 12%+5%gst hurts and deal we would have gotten, most of it was stuff the wife couldn't get here though)

Old Post 04-27-2017 01:26 PM
rx7boi
Neutral

What I drive: (0^oo^0)~
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

+1 for USPS -> CanadaPost

However, many US vendors don't use them as they already have an account set up with another courier.

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:14 PM
rx7boi is online now Click Here to See the Profile for rx7boi Click here to Send rx7boi a Private Message Find more posts by rx7boi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

quote:

Did UPS change their disgusting fees lately?

I just received my 3d printer from Europe, declared value of over 1,000$ and it cost me 60$ in duties (10$ brokerage fee + 50$ GST).

I'm pretty sure I paid way more than that on small shit from the states before. Was really surprised there was no duties on it, just GST.

Old Post 05-02-2017 04:35 PM
pheoxs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaco

quote:

Originally posted by pheoxs
Did UPS change their disgusting fees lately?

I just received my 3d printer from Europe, declared value of over 1,000$ and it cost me 60$ in duties (10$ brokerage fee + 50$ GST).

I'm pretty sure I paid way more than that on small shit from the states before. Was really surprised there was no duties on it, just GST.

if it was shipped air then its not as bad, ground is where they nail you to the wall.

Old Post 05-02-2017 04:36 PM
Disoblige
Third Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
Posts/Day: 0.74
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

USPS > FedEx > UPS

Old Post 05-02-2017 04:55 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RX_EVOLV
First Gear

What I drive: '16 Golf R:.
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

There are usually four charges you will see on a shipping invoice.

1) Shipping Fee - Cost to ship the package

2) Brokerage Fee - Fee for UPS to declare the products and pay duty in advance for you. This is where it can get expensive. If you are shipping Ground (UPS Standard or FedEx Ground), they will charge you a higher fee to declare the package on your behalf, maybe $28-45CAD, depending on the value of the package. However if it's shipped via Air (UPS Express, FedEx International), they would charge a much lower fee. in UPS case it's $0.

3) Duty + GST - This is charged by the Government and depends on the content of the package (HTS Code) and its Origin (NAFTA). In most cases this is a % of your content value (e.g. 3.1% duty + 5% GST). Usually if the shipment value is under a certain $ they might not charge you duty. (e.g. Going into the States its $800CAD).

4) Bond Fee - This is sort of like insurance but not really. If you package is very valuable (e.g. $10K+) and the shipper declared it to the shipper (not just to the govn't. this is two separate declaration), then they will usually charge a bond fee in case anything happen to the package in their warehouse (but don't confuse this with shipping insurance). This depends on the declared to shipper value.. maybe like $4 for every $1000 in excess of $10K.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/s...stoms/fees.html

If I could, USPS is the way to go. Otherwise UPS Express (Air) if possible. After that... ship ground and self-declare, or just prepare to pay for all the fees.

Last edited by RX_EVOLV on 05-02-2017 at 05:22 PM

Old Post 05-02-2017 05:20 PM
RX_EVOLV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RX_EVOLV Click here to Send RX_EVOLV a Private Message Find more posts by RX_EVOLV Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Thaco
if it was shipped air then its not as bad, ground is where they nail you to the wall.

That could've been it. Definitely cheaper brokerage fees.

I think they fucked up and missed duties though. Its made in the CZech Republic and 1000$ of value. Highly doubt there wasn't supposed to be duties on it.

Old Post 05-02-2017 08:40 PM
Thaco

quote:

Originally posted by pheoxs

That could've been it. Definitely cheaper brokerage fees.

I think they fucked up and missed duties though. Its made in the CZech Republic and 1000$ of value. Highly doubt there wasn't supposed to be duties on it.

yeah it all depends on the commodity code the sender used, maybe they know which ones they can sneak by with because i am sure they get a lot of bitching about fees which are beyond their control.

Old Post 05-02-2017 08:43 PM
The time now is 05:17 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > FedEx, UPS, USPS?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: