Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Help me pick my daughter's first laptop.

Author
Thread
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

Help me pick my daughter's first laptop. quote:

My daughter's 8th birthday is coming up, and is displaying that she can be responsible with being online with other devices like the Wii U, switch, etc...

So we are going to go to the next step and find a laptop for her. Obviously, we will be locking it down, and she only gets to use it at the kitchen table.

So, the requirements we have for it are pretty light. It will be used primarily for watching youtube videos, and play the Pokemon online game and maybe Minecraft as well. We don't need it to be too future proof as it will get updated in the future.

Pokemon online tcg requirements:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-t...nline/download/

Minecraft:
https://help.mojang.com/customer/en...em-requirements

Budget: We would like to keep it under $300.

I was kinda considering this one...
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../10520082.aspx?

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:25 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I mean I am not an expert, but kind of what you're listing seems to be a good bed. You just need something cheap, that will do the job. So the cheapest possible option that does what you want it to do would be my recommendation.

Also, whatever you decide to get, look on Kijiji. Can find good deals on there.

Last edited by shakalaka on 04-28-2017 at 06:33 PM

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:27 PM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Does it need to be a laptop? Those are tablet based games and much more user friendly (minecraft anyways, no clue about TCG) on a touch screen

Thinking outside the box: iOS has much easier parental controls to set up... what about a refurb / used iPad? added bonus of iMessaging for all the friends who have rich parents and own iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/brows...ecialdeals/ipad

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:30 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam
Does it need to be a laptop? Those are tablet based games and much more user friendly (minecraft anyways, no clue about TCG) on a touch screen

Thinking outside the box: iOS has much easier parental controls to set up... what about a refurb / used iPad? added bonus of iMessaging for all the friends who have rich parents and own iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/brows...ecialdeals/ipad

we burn apples in this house.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:37 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

What do they use at her school?

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 04-28-2017 07:03 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

For kids, size and toughness are important. This one has an SSD (but not a ton of space) and is small enough for kids, but not TOO small as to be hard to use.

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Stream-...61_2-CA_1_20001

HOWEVER - at that price range (300$) you will have to carefully examine the specs - from a quick glance I dont think my recommendation meets the min game requirements due to Video card.

Old Post 04-28-2017 07:21 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by spikerS
we burn apples in this house.

Why don't you let her decide?

Seriously, it's pretty hilarious seeing some kids excluded because their parents are anti-apple and everyone else is chatting together using iMessage on their iPods haha. Not hilarious for the excluded kid of course.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-28-2017 08:02 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spike98
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.33
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2

Seriously, it's pretty hilarious seeing some kids excluded because their parents are anti-apple and everyone else is chatting together using iMessage on their iPods haha. Not hilarious for the excluded kid of course.

I dont think its unreasonable at all. Typically little ones need help from time to time as they learn how to use the devices and its much harder to provide guidance if you are unfamiliar yourself.

Also, if the kid feels left out over something as trivial as being included in imessage group chats, the selection of an OS is the least of your worries.

EDIT: OP, i looked at the specs of my kids computer and the one you selected looks fine. He runs the same games with some light steam gaming as well. Being 10, resolution and FPS aren't even in his vocabulary.

Last edited by spike98 on 04-28-2017 at 08:22 PM

Old Post 04-28-2017 08:17 PM
spike98 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spike98 Click here to Send spike98 a Private Message Find more posts by spike98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Laptop is a mistake. Tablet is the way to go and what all the kids are using both in school and at home.

Old Post 04-28-2017 08:52 PM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

What I drive: GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (74)

quote:

Rage has a good point here, and I can personally attest to my boys going through this when they were young. Although I personally hate apple, it's unfair for me to dictate to them what they should and shouldn't like. I have my opinions, and as they age they will have their own opinions.

As far as being unfamiliar with the devices, it isn't hard at all to become familiar with apple products. My wife is an apple person and I've easily figured out how to support her device.

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:01 PM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Given the $300 budget, what apple device fits that?

I hate apple too, for the record.

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:02 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lasimmon
Neutral

What I drive: 2 feet and a heartbeat
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Originally posted by spike98

I dont think its unreasonable at all. Typically little ones need help from time to time as they learn how to use the devices and its much harder to provide guidance if you are unfamiliar yourself.

Also, if the kid feels left out over something as trivial as being included in imessage group chats, the selection of an OS is the least of your worries.

EDIT: OP, i looked at the specs of my kids computer and the one you selected looks fine. He runs the same games with some light steam gaming as well. Being 10, resolution and FPS aren't even in his vocabulary.

Heh, as an adult I rarely text anyone, outside of my significant other, in a direct conversation. Everything is a group chat.

Except for people without iPhones.

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:15 PM
lasimmon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lasimmon Click here to Send lasimmon a Private Message Find more posts by lasimmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I'd be going for a tablet of some sort.

I'm finding more and more that I surf the internet and play games on my phone more just due to size or portability. Once my current laptop is up for replacement, I'll be switching over to a desktop for work that absolutely requires a full blown computer and a good high level tablet for everything else.

I also assume that with the proper case, a tablet would be a lot more forgiving with kids than a laptop.

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:29 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Originally posted by spike98

This isn't a left out because they're unpopular or whatever, this is purely a technological barrier and others stop bothering to text update the person here and there and they miss out. It's a hassle, someone forgets, never intentional.

My nephew plays Jr Hockey, had to buy his own phone, could only afford an entry level Android and was constantly missing out on team invites. Drove him nuts. It's not that his teammates were trying to exclude him, but trying to include him was an extra step of the process and it just got missed. After a while, you're not even privy to inside jokes because you're not on the inside anymore. Got himself a used iPad, social life back on track.

For kids, Apple has the segment locked down thanks to the iPod and iMessage because parents don't think they're ready for phones yet. It's the default tool that kids use to chat with one another. When they're ready to move to a phone, the progression to an iPhone becomes seamless. It's gotten ridiculous levels of penetration in the teenaged years in the US (Overseas where Android is much stronger and spending power lower is a different story).

http://www.piperjaffray.com/3col.aspx?id=4359

iPhone ownership of 76% is our highest rating ever with upside remaining 81% of teens say their next phone will be an iPhone.

Something to think about for long term investing.

I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:32 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Originally posted by BokCh0y
As far as being unfamiliar with the devices, it isn't hard at all to become familiar with apple products. My wife is an apple person and I've easily figured out how to support her device.

Kids figure stuff out on their own as well. Our 9 y/o teaches me new iOS tricks regularly, which makes me feel extremely old and dumb.

Old Post 04-28-2017 09:40 PM
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

the budget is pretty tight, that's going to decide all of the other factors really, unless you go used, you'll only find a couple of laptops under $300 anyway, and definitely no apple products.

My daughter is 7, shes had a tablet since she was 3, she loves them, mostly uses it for youtube and lame games, but for $100 for something like the amazon kids tablet, would be a great option, a year of toss it down the stairs warranty, and cheap enough that you really dont care, and by the time she's in to the workforce, the world will be tablets anyway so its a vaulable tool to learn to use. Traditional computers are getting pushed out.

Funny on the apple topic, i never let my son (14 now) have an iphone for a long time, i just couldn't justify the price premium, and i didnt want to support it, but a few months ago his grandma was upgrading so she gave him her Iphone 5, he was super happy, for the first 3 weeks, haha, now he is asking to change to an android again, kids are just never satisfied.

Last edited by Thaco on 04-28-2017 at 11:23 PM

Old Post 04-28-2017 11:18 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Refurbed iPad. This is what my 3 y/o uses. <$300.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produ...-fi-32gb-silver

Older one is learning to code on it using Swift Playgrounds.

If she's set on an Android tablet, well, there's a ton to choose from at that price range.

Old Post 04-28-2017 11:34 PM
Thaco
sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)

What I drive: Rage2
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (30)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Refurbed iPad. This is what my 3 y/o uses. &lt;$300.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produ...-fi-32gb-silver

Older one is learning to code on it using Swift Playgrounds.

If she's set on an Android tablet, well, there's a ton to choose from at that price range.

yeah lots of options in tablets, i was initially referring only to the question of laptop.

Old Post 04-28-2017 11:40 PM
Thaco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thaco Click here to Send Thaco a Private Message Find more posts by Thaco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phreezee
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

iPad or Chromebook.

They use Chromebooks in schools, so it should be familiar to an 8 year old.

I used to be anti Apple, but I've come to realize that they make the best tablet on the market; everyone in the house has one. We still have Android phones though.

Last edited by phreezee on 04-29-2017 at 01:01 AM

Old Post 04-29-2017 12:07 AM
phreezee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phreezee Click here to Send phreezee a Private Message Find more posts by phreezee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

What I drive: GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (74)

quote:

Originally posted by phreezee
iPad or Chromebook.

They use Chromebooks in schools, so it should be familiar to an 8 year old.

I used to be anti Apple, but I've come to realize that they make the best tablet on the market everyone in the house has one. We still have Android phones though.

My wife has an iPad air 1 and 2, and yeah, it is a pretty damn good tablet i have to admit. it's great for reading cbc news while dropping a deuce. I know you can say the same about droid users though, but i come across it more with apple users.

Anyway, i think a tablet may be the way to go over a laptop.

OP is your kid going to be using the laptop for school or just for games and videos?

Old Post 04-29-2017 12:40 AM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:05 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Help me pick my daughter's first laptop.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: