Quantcast
Best Earbuds for around $100.00? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best Earbuds for around $100.00?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Default Best Earbuds for around $100.00?

As the title of the thread states, I am looking for the best earbuds for around $100.00. My last pair finally died after serving me well for 3 years (and being put through the wash twice).

For what it is worth I mainly listen to electronic and metal. I will be using these headphones nearly every day of the week from riding on the bus to working out in the gym. Having a built in microphone isn't required.

Currently the internet has me believing the thinksound rain2 are the best buy in the $100 area. Suggestions?

TIA

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Check out the Shure SE215.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by Kg810
    Check out the Shure SE215.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I really like the fact that you can remove / replace the cable. It was what finally failed killing my last set of headphones. I have never had a set of earbuds designed like the Shures, are they comfortable and do they stay in your ear well?

I have Shure SE 215's and Monster iSport Victory (more than $100 but regularly on sale). I also had the Shure SE 115's before.

The Shure's have better noise isolation but the Monster's are waterproof and have better bass. For $100 I don't think there is a better earphone for comfort, sound, noise isolation, etc. for me than the 215's, but that's pretty hard to say without having tried them all haha. It's also highly subjective. I liked them so much I went through 3-4 pairs of them over many years. If you're going to use them for running or the gym, I would get something waterproof or water resistant for sweat and general harder use (like the iSport Victory's). Really there are so many options though. You for sure will not be disappointed with the 215's.

The Shure's come with both silicon and memory foam ear inserts so you can customize the shape and feel. The memory foam ones stay in the ear REALLY well, and the cable wraps back around behind your ear too so your movements don't pull on it all the time. The silicone tips don't stay in as well but they are flimsy and therefore more comfortable for some people. If you are bothered by foam earplugs (the ones you roll and insert) you might not like the memory foam tips, but they create a perfect seal.

It's cool that you can replace the cable, but I had 2 warranty claims due the connection starting to fail between the cable and the earphone because it can rotate. Shure was good about it though, so no complaints. None of the cables ever failed on me though.

Lots of reviews here by the same person for consistency - just scroll to your price category:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/mu...p-1106.478568/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-02-2017 at 10:46 AM.

My Ride
    Horse

I have a pair of Yurbuds. They're well under your $100 price bracket but I think it's worth considering them if you wear earbuds as often as you say you do.

https://www.amazon.com/Yurbuds-CE-V1.../dp/B00413XA3G

I got them because I got sick and tired of my earbuds falling out when doing anything besides walking or sitting. I love them because I can spring up stairs, jump, workout, whatever and they won't fall out. I've used them for two years and my cables haven't failed me yet.

I don't know much about sound quality so you'll have to read reviews for how they stack up to the competition. I also am not sure whether they sell a model with replaceable cables.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I have Shure SE 215's and Monster iSport Victory (more than $100 but regularly on sale). I also had the Shure SE 115's before.
    *snip*

Yah I keep reading up about the Shure's and am probably going to purchase a pair the next time i see a massdrop on them.
    I've had my Monster Coppers for a longgg time and they are just about done. Even though they have a lifetime warranty they stopped making them which blows... cause I love those headphones. Probably should have thought twice about taking them to the gym because I'm pretty sure the sweat/usage destroyed the volume, mic talk/controls and the right ear bud is rotates and is annoying haha.

As tempted as I am to get some wireless I use my headphones so much between work, gym, home that I don't know if the battery life would keep up to how often they are on...

My Ride
    Grimace

A bit north of $100 but great sound and build quality and it comes with all kind of tips as well. Not sure how they would be at the gym though as I just use them at my desk.

https://www.amazon.ca/RHA-MA750-Nois...dp/B00ELAM8LE/

Originally posted by colinxx235

Yah I keep reading up about the Shure's and am probably going to purchase a pair the next time i see a massdrop on them.
    I've had my Monster Coppers for a longgg time and they are just about done. Even though they have a lifetime warranty they stopped making them which blows... cause I love those headphones. Probably should have thought twice about taking them to the gym because I'm pretty sure the sweat/usage destroyed the volume, mic talk/controls and the right ear bud is rotates and is annoying haha.

As tempted as I am to get some wireless I use my headphones so much between work, gym, home that I don't know if the battery life would keep up to how often they are on...
    The gym was hard on my Shure's too - they lasted 1-2 years each time though which was actually quite good all things considered. I do prefer my Monster iSport Victory's at the gym though - sweatproof, more bass to get all jacked up haha, and you can wash them under running water.

The Shure's kind of sit IN your ear entirely, rather than kind of hang out of them like a lot of IEMs. They had the best fit of anything I've ever tried.

Cordless is super annoying because you have to worry about batteries which don't last long at all. I for sure would always be forgetting to charge them before the gym, or wouldn't likely maintain the batteries in general. I would hate them.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-02-2017 at 11:22 AM.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

I'm big fan of bluetooth ear buds. I use Jlab epic 2 for the gym and it works flawlessly

https://www.jlabaudio.com/products/e...nt=23929662023

I got the JVC HA-FXT90 a few years back based on a beyonders recommendation. Awesome buds with a fantastic soundstage, provided you don't mind cleaning your ears before use to maintain a proper seal.

Originally posted by lee88
    I'm big fan of bluetooth ear buds. I use Jlab epic 2 for the gym and it works flawlessly

https://www.jlabaudio.com/products/e...nt=23929662023
    How do you find the sound quality to be?

I'm not a super audiophile but I do enjoy high quality sound.

I had bought some dual driver bluetooth headphoens from amazon (i think the company was avantree? ). They sounded great but had hissing, and minimal range.

If you're considering the Shure SE215, you might wanna consider these:

MEElectronics M6 PRO

https://www.amazon.ca/MEE-audio-Univ...tronics+M6+PRO

hell of a lot more bang for your buck (two sets of cables: with and without remote), also comes with Comply Foam Tips for better noise isolation. Did need to break them in though for a week or so, they sounded a little tinny when I first started to use them. But now, they're great and never fall out of your ears. Been using them for about a year now, no complaints.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Originally posted by Hero_X

How do you find the sound quality to be?

I'm not a super audiophile but I do enjoy high quality sound.

I had bought some dual driver bluetooth headphoens from amazon (i think the company was avantree? ). They sounded great but had hissing, and minimal range.

Sound quality was excellent but a bit on the bassier side but that's how i like it because of the music i listen too. Can't go wrong for the price and so far (6months) it been holding up really well

\ Monster iSport Victory (more than $100 but regularly on sale).[/url]
    I've been using the Monster for a few months and find them great. Better SQ then the Jaybirds and Beats they replaced, and the Bose I have for flying.

\The Shure's have better noise isolation but the Monster's are waterproof and have better bass.
    [/url]
    I can't hear a thing with the Monster, maybe you are using the wrong size silicone?

Originally posted by NoSup4U

I've been using the Monster for a few months and find them great. Better SQ then the Jaybirds and Beats they replaced, and the Bose I have for flying.

I can't hear a thing with the Monster, maybe you are using the wrong size silicone?
    Nah the sound isolation is still great on the Monsters, just not as good as the Shure with the memory foam tips, but the silicone is more comfortable especially at the gym. Both of them block out 100% of sound if you have a decent volume set.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

For what it is worth, I ended up with the HiFiMan RE-400s. Looking forward to them. If they last me at least two years I will be happy.

The MEElectronics M6 PROs were a close second but I got cold feet reading all the reviews saying that they aren't very comfortable. With the amount I wear headphones I wanted to treat my self to something nice.

Appreciate all the information and suggestions.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Have a set of Sennheiser Momenutum and like them much more than Shure SE215. I don't get the Shure hype as I didn't care for the sound at all or the fitment.