Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > new car recommendations....fml

Author
Thread
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

What I drive: changes every year
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

new car recommendations....fml quote:

it's with great regret that I even think about selling my X1. I love this thing. however, again, my wife was saying how it's still not big enough to have her seat where she wants it and have the kid behind her comfortable as well.

here's my criteria.....bigger inside...still fun to drive and not an SUV. oh and 40k and under unless it's new with a good interest rate, 50k and under.

that criteria may change due to lack of options but ya, I know it's pretty vague. I'd like to stick with BMW but I think a 7 series is too big and probably not too.much fun and a 5 series is still not enough room.

what do I look into? Merc? Ford? (ew) Lexus? personal experiences would be cool......and go.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:15 PM
03ozwhip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ganesh
Neutral

What I drive: 2014 335GT
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

If you want to stay in the BMW family look at the 3 Series GT. They are built on the long wheel base and has plenty of leg room in the back

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:19 PM
ganesh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ganesh Click here to Send ganesh a Private Message Find more posts by ganesh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Audi A6 3.0T S-Line is a really nice larger vehicle that is still fun, and they have been around long enough you can pick your price point. Unbeatable interior and AWD are bonuses.

You can buy an Infinity Q50 Red Sport for just a little bit over your budget, but they often have huge incentives. Not sure if it's large enough for you. Last I looked at them in person they had around $5-7K off.

Sounds like you need a wagon, but fun wagons are few and far between. Could look at Volvo, Audi A4 Allroad, MB E-Class Wagon.

BMW 550xi is in your price range too even with the TT V8 and they are lots of fun for a nice large car.

I've driven all of the above recently, I liked the Red Sport, A6 3.0T, and 550xi the most but that isn't too surprising haha.

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:26 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by ganesh
If you want to stay in the BMW family look at the 3 Series GT. They are built on the long wheel base and has plenty of leg room in the back

They meet the criteria but styling

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:30 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

thanks guys I would love a wagon. I consider my X1 a wagon really. on my registration it says station wagon lol but I have to look further into these ones.

before I bought my X1 I looked at a 535 and im almost positive that the interior is the same size. if it's any bigger, it's definitely not by much.

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:32 PM
03ozwhip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Buy a slimmer profile car seat. Really, your only option is a big SUV or a minivan if a 5 series still isn't big enough. Or a new wife?

Wagons aren't going to solve your problem, unless you get an E Wagon and stuff the kid in the trunk haha.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:35 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
Buy a slimmer profile car seat. Really, your only option is a big SUV or a minivan if a 5 series still isn't big enough. Or a new wife?

Wagons aren't going to solve your problem, unless you get an E Wagon and stuff the kid in the trunk haha.

the problem is, you're right, i just don't want to believe it lol

Old Post 05-05-2017 04:54 PM
rage2

quote:

You can always go try the Merc B250. It has the more rear legroom than even the S-Class. The problem is though, I don't think you're looking for just rear legroom. It's how the rear seats are shaped that determines how far forward the car seat sits, and interferes with the front passenger.

Another option for you...

That's as much SUV as an X1. But won't be fun to drive.

I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-05-2017 05:08 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
User Rating: 95%

quote:

2018 Tiguan with longwheel base.

Your X1's wheel base is 108 inches. It's going to be pretty tough to beat if that's tight.

Old Post 05-05-2017 05:18 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
User Rating: 155%

quote:

40k or less is going to drop you out of German territory

A well equipped CR-V or RAV-4 would probably be your best bet

Or an F150 crew cab

Old Post 05-05-2017 05:58 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

i was gonna say a F150 Supercrew will do what you want. my kids have plenty of leg room in the back seat, even with their car seats in there.

get the supercrew with a 5.5' box, throw a tonneau cover on it and you're good to go. has locking storage in the back and lots of passenger space in the front.

and it's pretty easy on the eyes. my opinion may be a little bias though.

Last edited by SOAB on 05-05-2017 at 06:15 PM

Old Post 05-05-2017 06:12 PM
SOAB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SOAB Click here to Send SOAB a Private Message Find more posts by SOAB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathanl10

What I drive: '16 Civic
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Yup, the second I saw 50k new or 40k used with suggestions of German sedans being too small, I immediately thought of Honda Pilot or something in that range...

Old Post 05-05-2017 06:32 PM
Jonathanl10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathanl10 Click here to Send Jonathanl10 a Private Message Find more posts by Jonathanl10 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpomp
STi Killer

What I drive: 16 GTI, 15 FiST
Posts/Day: 0.90
Trader Rating: (58)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

VW Golf Alltrack

Originally posted by scat19
I don't care if that wing is a jspoon or whatever it's huge and gross.

Originally posted by slinkie
its a honda not a zonda

Old Post 05-05-2017 06:43 PM
gpomp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpomp Click here to Send gpomp a Private Message Visit gpomp's homepage! Find more posts by gpomp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roll_over
First Gear

What I drive: Can't driver because I'm legally blind
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

I was in a similar boat as you for my family vehicle. I even tried to use a Rapide S for a short period of time and it just didn't work.

I ended up settling for an E63, it fits one seat forward facing and another rear facing with lots of room. Both are Peg perego seats which I don't think are the slimmest. It handles well in winter with good tires and I've driven it through some of the worst conditions with little issues.

I'm thinking of selling it soon here and going back to a 2 seater since I've only put car seats in it a few times and usually rely on the SUV for family duties. PM me if you're interested.

Old Post 05-05-2017 07:17 PM
roll_over is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roll_over Click here to Send roll_over a Private Message Find more posts by roll_over Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
never
FKA no|uno

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by roll_over
I was in a similar boat as you for my family vehicle. I even tried to use a Rapide S for a short period of time and it just didn't work.

I ended up settling for an E63, it fits one seat forward facing and another rear facing with lots of room. Both are Peg perego seats which I don't think are the slimmest. It handles well in winter with good tires and I've driven it through some of the worst conditions with little issues.

I'm thinking of selling it soon here and going back to a 2 seater since I've only put car seats in it a few times and usually rely on the SUV for family duties. PM me if you're interested.

I'd hate having to settle for an E63!

Old Post 05-05-2017 07:42 PM
never is offline Click Here to See the Profile for never Click here to Send never a Private Message Find more posts by never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Fun to drive and F150. Does not compute.

Old Post 05-05-2017 07:51 PM
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28

quote:

SRT8 Cherokee?

Old Post 05-05-2017 08:06 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
SRT8 Cherokee?

Gas pig and an SUV but yes. Can't have it all!

Old Post 05-05-2017 09:07 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

lower it, put some coil-overs and shocks on it, sporty tires and rock on!

Old Post 05-05-2017 09:54 PM
SOAB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SOAB Click here to Send SOAB a Private Message Find more posts by SOAB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Gas pig and an SUV but yes. Can't have it all!

That was kind of my point with rage saying a F150 wouldn't be fun (even though a lowered, 2wd supercrew with the ecoboost would be a hell of a lot of fun IMO once it was chipped). You can't have it all.

I don't think OP knows what he wants though. A 5 series isn't big enough?? That's a huge car. Maybe the homermobile will work :p

Old Post 05-05-2017 10:02 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:07 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > new car recommendations....fml

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: