Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Sun's BBQ

Author
Thread
Ariakas

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

Sun's BBQ quote:

Anyone know what happened to Sun Chiu Kee, went to pick up some
BBQ meats today and it was closed. Bumped into one of their cashier and was told it'll be shutdown for a while, no details... Didn't find anything in the AHS website for restaurant closure. Have to say, gonna miss their roast pork... good for my health I guess

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-07-2017 03:33 AM
Ariakas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ariakas Click here to Send Ariakas a Private Message Find more posts by Ariakas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

BokCh0y
Third Gear

What I drive: GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (74)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Not sure what happened, but I went to Calgary Court, who gets their bbq meat from Sun's and same thing - none.

Old Post 05-07-2017 03:55 AM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Oh shit. I know that there's many restaurants in Calgary owned by the same people, with Calgary Court being one of them. Dang, hope everything is okay.

Old Post 05-07-2017 04:09 AM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Interesting. Wonder what went down.

Old Post 05-07-2017 04:17 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A2VR6
Second Gear

What I drive: Beetle
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

There was a fire last week (I want to say Monday). There were about 5 or 6 fire trucks there.

Old Post 05-07-2017 04:55 AM
A2VR6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A2VR6 Click here to Send A2VR6 a Private Message Find more posts by A2VR6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Pretty sure they caught fire last week

Old Post 05-07-2017 04:56 AM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

quote:

Shhhiiiittttt!!!!!!!!

Old Post 05-07-2017 06:33 AM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by BokCh0y
Not sure what happened, but I went to Calgary Court, who gets their bbq meat from Sun's and same thing - none.

Weird. Shouldn't there be supply from pebble st?

Old Post 05-07-2017 02:34 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Yea fire again. Last time it closed for 4 months. Sucks, best BBQ pork in town!

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-07-2017 03:16 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Nooooooooo....
OMG its like one of the very few places I go for Asian food.

Old Post 05-07-2017 04:15 PM
tonytiger55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Weird. Shouldn't there be supply from pebble st?

I thought Sun's was the main supplier now and pebble street didn't make their own anymore due to the health authority or whoever they are cracking down on health and safety violations. Friend of mine told me it just became so difficult with all the health and safety standards that many places have stopped making that meat now, hence why there aren't that many places anymore that make the bbq meat anymore. I remember as a kid there were tons of stores that used to make the bbq meat, now not so much anymore.

Anyway, yeah isn't Sun's the only supplier now for Calgary Court, Pebble Street, Sun's and whatever else is part of that chain?

Originally posted by rage2
Yea fire again. Last time it closed for 4 months. Sucks, best BBQ pork in town!

Absolute best!!!

Old Post 05-07-2017 05:44 PM
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

The problem with the Alberta health code is that the minimum temperature that they dictate is "safe" for food storage is too high for BBQ meats. It dries it out pretty badly after an hour and totally ruins it. Suns got away with it back in the day by just accepting the fines. Not sure what they do now to keep the display temps low or if they're still just paying fines.

Everywhere else they follow the Alberta health guidelines, which is why the BBQ pork is dried as shit while Sun's is moist and tender. Dried out BBQ pork blows, the taste is gone, the meat gets stringy and gets stuck in your teeth. The "workaround" for other places is to ask for fatty bbq pork, which helps a little as the fat handles the higher temps fine. But my poor arteries eating that shit...

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-07-2017 05:53 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDL
Neutral

What I drive: 09 Impreza 2.5
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Originally posted by BokCh0y

Anyway, yeah isn't Sun's the only supplier now for Calgary Court, Pebble Street, Sun's and whatever else is part of that chain?

The group of restaurants is Calgary Court, Sun's, Pebble Street/Forbidden City, 100% cafe, T-Pot, and some Japanese place on 32nd.

Old Post 05-07-2017 11:26 PM
BigDL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigDL Click here to Send BigDL a Private Message Find more posts by BigDL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Eat at your own risk. I have survived eating at so many sketchy places I have probably built a strong enough immune system that temperature controls aren't my biggest worry haha. Going to miss Sun's BBQ, it was my go to.

Old Post 05-07-2017 11:28 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manhattan
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
The problem with the Alberta health code is that the minimum temperature that they dictate is "safe" for food storage is too high for BBQ meats. It dries it out pretty badly after an hour and totally ruins it. Suns got away with it back in the day by just accepting the fines. Not sure what they do now to keep the display temps low or if they're still just paying fines.

Their meats move pretty quick too. Always sold out if I go in on a weekend evening. Definitely A+ compared to every other place in the city.

Do they have other good stuff on the menu? I haven't ordered anything else besides their BBQ pork in 10 years lol.

Old Post 05-08-2017 04:24 PM
Manhattan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manhattan Click here to Send Manhattan a Private Message Find more posts by Manhattan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Originally posted by Manhattan

Their meats move pretty quick too. Always sold out if I go in on a weekend evening. Definitely A+ compared to every other place in the city.

Do they have other good stuff on the menu? I haven't ordered anything else besides their BBQ pork in 10 years lol.

Their crispy chicken, and century egg congee are pretty good. Pretty standard offerings though.

Old Post 05-08-2017 05:00 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2000impreza
Beyond Alcoholic

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

Does anyone know if the grocery store connected to the same building was affected by the fire? Sometimes I buy groceries from there. Just wondering if it is still there. lol.

Old Post 05-08-2017 08:56 PM
2000impreza is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2000impreza Click here to Send 2000impreza a Private Message Find more posts by 2000impreza Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

NOT LAMBDA!

Old Post 05-08-2017 08:58 PM
RX_EVOLV
First Gear

What I drive: '16 Golf R:.
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

I think Lamdba is opened again. My friend shopped there yesterday.

Old Post 05-08-2017 09:04 PM
RX_EVOLV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RX_EVOLV Click here to Send RX_EVOLV a Private Message Find more posts by RX_EVOLV Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
I think Lamdba is opened again. My friend shopped there yesterday.

The old owners would have collected the money and calls it. The current owner put too much into it to quit now.

Old Post 05-08-2017 09:08 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 01:33 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Sun's BBQ

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: