Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Stuff you put through hell and still goes strong.

Author
Thread
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Stuff you put through hell and still goes strong. quote:

I started this thread when giving more thought to the opinions that old furnaces were reliable, easy to fix, and newer furnaces are the opposite. In one example of that, I replaced my old furnace with a new one about ten years ago. The fucking thing is so unreliable that I've got spares for the main components and stand ready for the next time of distress

With that said, what have you got that's been bullet proof? My examples:

1) A 10 year old Yard Works lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton engine. My front lawn is typical size, but the back yard is 80 by 80 so it's getting a lot more wear and tear than a typical yard. Thing is, in all of that use, I've only replaced the plug once, and cleaned the air filter about 3 times. But even than, I didn't do it because the engine was running rough, but rather more of an offering to the engine gods.

2) My Shop Vac. Nothing more needs to be said about that.

3) My USB sticks. As a computer tech, I have 1 or more in my pockets at all times. Dropping them or putting them the washer has no ill effect, but it does it when answering the proverbial question of, "Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me".

4) My 78 Caprice Classic or 88 (Suzuki?) Sprint.

That's it for now. Yours?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-07-2017 07:04 PM
Seth1968 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

99 GMC Sierra - 501,xxx klicks and still going strong.

Old Post 05-07-2017 07:31 PM
speedog is online now Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

Leatherman utility tool I have had for 10+ years. Trusty and reliable.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 05-07-2017 07:32 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

My 1998 STi, lots of time spent powersliding around at auto x, rally x, ice dice, on snowy roads. Often on the fuel cutoff, always sideways. Unfortunately ended it myself when I crashed into my best friends car doing donuts on Ghost Lake.

Old Post 05-07-2017 07:41 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

What I drive: changes every year
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

my Casio g-shock. I've only had it 4 years but it's a work only watch...I'm a welder. weld spatter, grinding sparks and just overall shit and abuse and until a recent battery change, it was working perfectly.

now it's sent away on the companies dime since they fucked up the battery change.

Old Post 05-07-2017 07:45 PM
03ozwhip is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

My work flashlight. Fenix TA21, 8 years old, has been dropped onto concrete from 10'+ dozens of times, and 20'+ twice.

Old Post 05-07-2017 08:05 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblair
Second Gear

What I drive: Jap V8
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
My 1998 STi, lots of time spent powersliding around at auto x, rally x, ice dice, on snowy roads. Often on the fuel cutoff, always sideways. Unfortunately ended it myself when I crashed into my best friends car doing donuts on Ghost Lake.

I think that came up on my discover page on insta. Was it white or silver or something?

For me it was an old dirt bike. 1985 Honda XL100S. Two of them actually... mine got taken reasonably good care of, but for a number of years I revved that thing way higher than I should have all day long. My uncle had one for a farm bike that my cousni did the same thing to. Then it started leaking oil... by accident, my uncle literally ran it til the engine seized *twice*, and both times, he added oil, forced it to kick over, and it just kept going.

Old Post 05-07-2017 08:08 PM
cjblair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cjblair Click here to Send cjblair a Private Message Find more posts by cjblair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89

quote:

Originally posted by cjblair

I think that came up on my discover page on insta. Was it white or silver or something?

For me it was an old dirt bike. 1985 Honda XL100S. Two of them actually... mine got taken reasonably good care of, but for a number of years I revved that thing way higher than I should have all day long. My uncle had one for a farm bike that my cousni did the same thing to. Then it started leaking oil... by accident, my uncle literally ran it til the engine seized *twice*, and both times, he added oil, forced it to kick over, and it just kept going.

Yep, would have been a easy fix with a fender, headlight and bumper cover, if not for the cam gear that exploded coincidentally at the same time (not accident damaged). I was going about 15km/h when I hit his car.

Old Post 05-07-2017 08:16 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

My 81' BMW 320i

Bought it for 300$ with 230K on the ODO.... drove it to 460K. Only did one oil change on it, with some oil I found that was intended for a commercial diesel engine. I jumped it once (like into the air off a ramp, not a jump start), drove it through a creek, learned how to powerslide and J-Brake in it, played bumper tag and push-war with it, used it to ram open locked gates, regularly used it as a place for people to lounge on. There was also an friendly fire incident with a Toyota 4x4 where my car got a small scratch, and his truck had the entire quarter panel destroyed. This car did not have an easy ride into the sunset, haha.

Only issues I ever had was the battery died once (I had hooked up some auxiliary lights and left them on, so kind of my bad). Plus once on my way to Victoria the throttle cable broke; in the cars defense, it was held together with twist ties... literally, they were twist ties for produce from Safeway. Luckily we had a guitar, and we used a string from that to fix it on the fly. I also tried to go off-road with it and tore open one of the two gas tanks... thankfully I had a lot of chewing gum which got me home, and later epoxy fixed that right up! I did have to do the clutch in it though at one point too.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
my Casio g-shock. I've only had it 4 years but it's a work only watch...I'm a welder. weld spatter, grinding sparks and just overall shit and abuse and until a recent battery change, it was working perfectly.

now it's sent away on the companies dime since they fucked up the battery change.

I have a Casio digital watch from when I was a kid to teen that I literally put through hell. It survived multiple tree fort construction projects, being submerged for hours on end, muddy water, sea water, kool-aid water, I banged it up regularly working on cars and servicing heavy equipment, doing various labour jobs, went out logging with it, camping... you name it. The face is scratched and dinged to all hell, however when I was cleaning out my house a while ago, I found it stuffed away in a box... still keeping perfect time 25 years later, and the illumination light still works too.

Old Post 05-07-2017 08:21 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swak
Second Gear

What I drive: FERD ST & Bikes
Posts/Day: 0.35
User Rating: 91%

quote:

My Surly Steamroller Fixie....
Been hit by cars, crashed drunk, been through hell and back.... barely a scratch and rides like a champ

Old Post 05-07-2017 09:37 PM
swak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swak Click here to Send swak a Private Message Find more posts by swak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civic_stylez
Second Gear

What I drive: starts with a screwdriver...
Posts/Day: 0.23

quote:

My 1988 Jeep XJ. Ive never seen a vehicle do so much while providing so little for it.

My 1991 Craftsman 21 lawnmower with the Tecumseh engine. Was my dads and ran on the same oil for at least 15 years before I got it and changed it. Same watered down gummy fuel left all winter and still fires up with no issues and runs like a champ. She gets more love now but cant believe it still runs.

Old Post 05-08-2017 03:48 PM
civic_stylez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for civic_stylez Click here to Send civic_stylez a Private Message Find more posts by civic_stylez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Feruk

What I drive: G6
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

My Blackberry Classic

Old Post 05-08-2017 03:54 PM
Feruk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feruk Click here to Send Feruk a Private Message Find more posts by Feruk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LUDELVR
I Spread Feminine Itch

What I drive: Anything topless.
Posts/Day: 0.55
Trader Rating: (15)

quote:

Most of my exes. They are all married now with kids and they seem to have turned out okay considering what I put them through!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

Old Post 05-08-2017 04:11 PM
LUDELVR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LUDELVR Click here to Send LUDELVR a Private Message Find more posts by LUDELVR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skrilla
First Gear

What I drive: This week?
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

1999 Honda Foreman 400. Parents bought it new in 2000, and it went through 3 kids and lots of friends, abused to shit. Been rolled at least a dozen times, crashed, flooded etc. Never done anything to it except oil changes and a shift fork. Odo has been wrapped, not sure what hours are at. Parents still use it today on their farm, even at minus 40 it fires right up. Really is a marvel to see it still around, knowing what it has been through. Id be surprised to see any made today that would withstand the abuse this has seen

Old Post 05-08-2017 04:55 PM
Skrilla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skrilla Click here to Send Skrilla a Private Message Find more posts by Skrilla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BavarianBeast
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.51
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Oh man, my poor mother.

Old Post 05-08-2017 05:03 PM
BavarianBeast is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BavarianBeast Click here to Send BavarianBeast a Private Message Find more posts by BavarianBeast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

My race car. I seriously do not deserve to have had it be as reliable as it has been, the abuse I put on it, combined with mediocre maintenance is pretty amazing. In fact, all of my Subaru's have been insanely reliable compared to most other vehicles.

Old Post 05-08-2017 05:07 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mzdspd
Neutral

What I drive: LNF
Posts/Day: 0.18

quote:

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

I also have a g-shock that has been put thru hell.. It is about 10-14 years old.. It is solar powered and still holds a charge for a year or more. Been in the ocean lots and I used to take it out quadding in mud pits. Still works perfect and is in good shape still. .

Old Post 05-08-2017 06:07 PM
mzdspd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mzdspd Click here to Send mzdspd a Private Message Find more posts by mzdspd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
First Gear

What I drive: rs4, ram, 675f3
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

My lunch box, from the mid 90's Pizza Hut edition. Got a new one and broke it in a month or two. Went back to old faithful, it's not pretty but works great.

Old Post 05-08-2017 07:02 PM
danno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danno Click here to Send danno a Private Message Find more posts by danno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ianmcc
First Gear

What I drive: 07 E550, 94 SN95, 00 V6 Focus, 09 Wrangler X
Posts/Day: 0.15

quote:

My wife.
God I put her through some shit and she keeps coming back!

Same applies to stupid.

Old Post 05-08-2017 07:47 PM
ianmcc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ianmcc Click here to Send ianmcc a Private Message Find more posts by ianmcc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rx7_turbo2
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Makita cordless drill. Bought it when I started my apprenticeship. It's been used as a drill, hammer and prybar. It's been dropped off ladders too many times to count. I've trusted it with my life while drilling into live bus bars. Its been retired from regular duty now for a couple years but I always reminisce when I pull it out to do an oil change.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?

Originally posted by Toma
rx7_turbfoags best friend

Toma the homophobe?

Old Post 05-08-2017 09:09 PM
rx7_turbo2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rx7_turbo2 Click here to Send rx7_turbo2 a Private Message Find more posts by rx7_turbo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:13 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Stuff you put through hell and still goes strong.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: