Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

Author
Thread
riced
First Gear

What I drive: 2014 Scion FRS
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 94%

Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations? quote:

Hey guys, anyone have any info or recommendations on a good, quiet garage door opener?
Our house is only 3 years old but the opener is loud as hell. The baby's room is pretty much on top of the garage so it wakes her up in the morning... Basically, as quiet as possible is what I'm looking for...

I'm looking at what's online but their naming of models is kinda poor so it's hard to tell what the difference is between them... Here are the two I'm looking at. I'm not huge on whether it has smart phone control or wifi or anything - I just want it to be quiet and reliable lol.

https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-op...i_g2556133.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....1000858813.html

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-08-2017 07:51 PM
riced is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riced Click here to Send riced a Private Message Visit riced's homepage! Find more posts by riced Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

Re: Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations? quote:

Originally posted by riced
The baby's room is pretty much on top of the garage so it wakes her up in the morning... Basically, as quiet as possible is what I'm looking for...

No clue about your original question on quiet openers, but if your baby room has hard floors try using rugs to dampen sound/vibration?

edit: Also, maybe this
https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/...ge_door_kit.htm

Old Post 05-08-2017 07:57 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I had a screw type opener and it was the quietest that I ever heard

Old Post 05-08-2017 08:00 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

Change to this type of opener:
https://www.liftmaster.com/for-home...ries/model-8500

Old Post 05-08-2017 08:02 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gogreen
Neutral

What I drive: 2014 Fit Sport, 2006 350Z
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

^Agreed. The Liftmaster 8500 is pretty quiet. Frees up ceiling space too!

Old Post 05-08-2017 08:48 PM
gogreen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gogreen Click here to Send gogreen a Private Message Find more posts by gogreen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riced
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by kenny

Does this require a lot of modification to remove the overhead opener?
I was hoping for one that could easily swap out.

Is this quieter because of the fact that it's on the side wall instead?

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:24 PM
riced is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riced Click here to Send riced a Private Message Visit riced's homepage! Find more posts by riced Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

I have the Lowes/Chamberlin one you listed.

It's definitely quieter than than the original one I had came with the house that uses chain (Crasftsman from late 90s). But the door noises remains.

So unlatch your current opener and open the door manually. That noise will not go away even if you switch the opener. In that case, I think jwslam's noise isolation is the better answer.

Also, that Chamberlin MyQ thing is just peace of mind that you can check on your door while you are away. So you know if your door has been opened without your knowledge.

Does this require a lot of modification to remove the overhead opener?
I was hoping for one that could easily swap out.

Is this quieter because of the fact that it's on the side wall instead?

Noise will be in front part of the room to one side instead in the center. But keep in mind that you probably need someone to install this (or at least a electrician to reroute to power to the front for a clean install), especially if you are trying to change the rails to keep to door as close to the ceiling as possible, one of the reason why you would installed this type of openers, to reclaim vertical space for a lift.

Last edited by Xtrema on 05-08-2017 at 10:47 PM

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:39 PM
Xtrema is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gogreen
Neutral

What I drive: 2014 Fit Sport, 2006 350Z
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

It's quieter mainly because you don't have the long run of chain clattering away since it can direct-drive the torsion shaft of the door, but I haven't heard a belt-drive style to compare. The 8500 does have a solenoid-operated deadbolt that makes a bit of a clunk just before the door opens and right after it closes. And as Xtrema said you would still have the noise of the door rollers to contend with.

I have the 8500 because it was literally the only type of opener that would work in my application (low headroom, no side clearance, and high-lift tracks already existing). AndyL installed mine years ago, and I did get an electrician in afterwards to add an outlet near the door so I could plug the opener in directly.

Last edited by gogreen on 05-08-2017 at 11:16 PM

Old Post 05-08-2017 11:12 PM
gogreen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gogreen Click here to Send gogreen a Private Message Find more posts by gogreen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblair
Second Gear

What I drive: Jap V8
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by kenny

My parents have these on the doors at their place in Golden. +1 for quietest opener ever.

Old Post 05-09-2017 01:38 AM
cjblair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cjblair Click here to Send cjblair a Private Message Find more posts by cjblair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyL
Second Gear

What I drive: 4x4
Posts/Day: 0.48
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Major part of the 8500 is moving it to an exterior Wall. Rather than the long span of floor joist (think about a sub box for a second) you're spanning a shorter vertical wall with more layers of insulation and cladding. With no direct connection for noise transmission.

That and it was one of their first DC drive models - more are now but 10yrs ago those were 2-3x the price and most didn't have the soft start and stop. Makes a huge difference that does. And not pulling on the top section often reduces a lot of those squeeks and groans of the lateral deflection that's inevitable.

I say go for the home Depot one

But no, not in doors anymore. Recovering from loosing a finger and massive post op infection in a nice safe job of all fucking things...

Old Post 05-09-2017 02:23 AM
AndyL is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AndyL Click here to Send AndyL a Private Message Find more posts by AndyL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riced
First Gear

quote:

Thanks for all the info guys! I probably won't go with the 8500.
Right now ours is a chain drive and it's only 3 years old but it shakes the room enough that even though the noise will remain with a belt drive, it'll at least lessen the shake.
I'll probably pair with that sound dampening product from jwslam as well - a pretty cheap option to significantly reduce the noise too.

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:17 AM
LilDrunkenSmurf
Fourth Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.06
Trader Rating: (42)

quote:

I'd kill for that side-mount. It's on my list to move to one of those models, but I have no idea who to get to install one.

Old Post 05-09-2017 02:36 PM
LilDrunkenSmurf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LilDrunkenSmurf Click here to Send LilDrunkenSmurf a Private Message Find more posts by LilDrunkenSmurf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

We were quoted just under $5000 for the side mount.

So they gave you a chain instead of a belt?

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:02 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
never
FKA no|uno

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16

quote:

Originally posted by R!zz0

So they gave you a chain instead of a belt?

What? You can get them for $600 with accessories on Amazon. And the install is pretty simple.

Old Post 05-09-2017 04:38 PM
never is offline Click Here to See the Profile for never Click here to Send never a Private Message Find more posts by never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

^^ You're right.

https://www.amazon.ca/LiftMaster-85...age+door+opener

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 05-09-2017 05:13 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Thanks for all the info guys! I probably won't go with the 8500.
Right now ours is a chain drive and it's only 3 years old but it shakes the room enough that even though the noise will remain with a belt drive, it'll at least lessen the shake.
I'll probably pair with that sound dampening product from jwslam as well - a pretty cheap option to significantly reduce the noise too.

Yeah, you won't regret chain to belt. It is quieter.

Old Post 05-09-2017 06:08 PM
Xtrema is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BerserkerCatSplat

What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
Posts/Day: 1.31
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by R!zz0

That's completely absurd, there's no way a jackshaft opener requires $4500 worth of labour to install.

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:49 AM
BerserkerCatSplat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BerserkerCatSplat Click here to Send BerserkerCatSplat a Private Message Visit BerserkerCatSplat's homepage! Find more posts by BerserkerCatSplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riced
First Gear

quote:

Just as an update - ended up going with the one from Lowe's - read better reviews on this one, plus it was $100 off until today.

https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-op...i_g2556133.html

Got it installed yesterday and it made a huge difference. No shake in the rooms upstairs, the sound has been muffled by at least 70% already and best of all - no waking the baby this morning!

I'm going to be adding rubber insulators between the joints and the wall soon and hopefully it'll help a bit more.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old Post 05-10-2017 02:25 PM
schurchill39
Second Gear

What I drive: Ford, Acura, Harley
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (15)

quote:

I have a side mount and its quite as hell. The most noise comes from the "lock" disengaging or reengaging. Plus the head room its amazing. I don't think I'd ever run anything but a side mount again.

Originally posted by rage2
...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:31 PM
schurchill39 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LilDrunkenSmurf
Fourth Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.06
Trader Rating: (42)

quote:

Originally posted by schurchill39
I have a side mount and its quite as hell. The most noise comes from the "lock" disengaging or reengaging. Plus the head room its amazing. I don't think I'd ever run anything but a side mount again.

Who installed it for you?

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:35 PM
LilDrunkenSmurf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LilDrunkenSmurf Click here to Send LilDrunkenSmurf a Private Message Find more posts by LilDrunkenSmurf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:06 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: