Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > boy cars are quick

Author
Thread
r3ccOs
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 96%

boy cars are quick quote:

Didn't realize how many low-mid 5 economical cars there are out there these days...

got a rental A3 2.0 Quattro and just reading some road tests, they are 5.4 to 60 and can quarter just under 14... and a lot thanks to the DSG

but wow, I mean well built small displacement turbo engines are really all the rage, and I'm feeling that not only has drivability improved, but with the fat low end torque these engines produce, mid-200 hp cars are making it very economical to purchase speed.

I was very very surprised how quick my neighbor's 228i, and how if you look at hp/torque figures... how is it possible that this car has figures that can keep up with much higher HP vehicles?

To shave off half a second off the performance of the 228 on the 0-60 or even quarter mile time, you need what appears to be either substantially more displacement or boost.

Is this 4 cyl mid-200 hp w/ 260lbs of torque @ 1200 RPM the new normal?

With how VAG started this trend with the TFSI, Ford 2.3/2.7 engines are being shoehorned everywhere, Hyundai and Kia's boosted 2.0, Volvo's supercharged/turbo'd 2.0 and now the Germans... I think it must be

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-08-2017 09:54 PM
r3ccOs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for r3ccOs Click here to Send r3ccOs a Private Message Find more posts by r3ccOs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Aleks
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 17 Honda Ridgeline, 12 Honda Odyssey, 04 330i zhp
Posts/Day: 0.87
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 100%

Re: boy cars are quick quote:

Originally posted by r3ccOs
Didn't realize how many low-mid 5 economical cars there are out there these days...

got a rental A3 2.0 Quattro and just reading some road tests, they are 5.4 to 60 and can quarter just under 14... and a lot thanks to the DSG

but wow, I mean well built small displacement turbo engines are really all the rage, and I'm feeling that not only has drivability improved, but with the fat low end torque these engines produce, mid-200 hp cars are making it very economical to purchase speed.

I was very very surprised how quick my neighbor's 228i, and how if you look at hp/torque figures... how is it possible that this car has figures that can keep up with much higher HP vehicles?

To shave off half a second off the performance of the 228 on the 0-60 or even quarter mile time, you need what appears to be either substantially more displacement or boost.

With how VAG started this trend with the TFSI, Ford 2.3/2.7 engines are being shoehorned everywhere, Hyundai and Kia's boosted 2.0, Volvo's supercharged/turbo'd 2.0 and now the Germans... I think it must be

You've driven the two of the best 2.0T engines in the world. Not all small turbo engines are equal and then it highly depends what vehicles they are in. Some German manufacturers also underrate their engine outputs.

Joined 07/2002

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:10 PM
Aleks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aleks Click here to Send Aleks a Private Message Find more posts by Aleks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

What I drive: 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2012 GL350
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I think a lot of the time the engines are under-rated as well...especially the midlevel ones. That's always been BMWs trick.

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:10 PM
Buster is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Buster Click here to Send Buster a Private Message Find more posts by Buster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BavarianBeast
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.51
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Under 4 seconds 0-60 is quick nowadays.

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:18 PM
BavarianBeast is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BavarianBeast Click here to Send BavarianBeast a Private Message Find more posts by BavarianBeast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btimbit
Second Gear

What I drive: '16 Turbo VW
Posts/Day: 0.52

quote:

Very true. Even a new Golf with the 1.8 Turbo is no slouch. Especially considering how much cheaper one could be had compared to a gTI with the 2.0.

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:21 PM
btimbit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btimbit Click here to Send btimbit a Private Message Find more posts by btimbit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

Re: boy cars are quick quote:

Originally posted by r3ccOs

Yes. This should replace traditional V6 except when the vehicle is heavy or need tow something.

Turbo 4s are now being brought on to due with emission/CAFE standard imposed by governments.

Now that there are 10 states that also have ZEV mandates, expect EV to improve and replace ICE market share as well.

Last edited by Xtrema on 05-08-2017 at 10:32 PM

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:22 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
born2workoncars

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
User Rating: 99%

quote:

VAG motors are nuts.

This guy is into his s4 for $25-30k USD including the car itself. 20 year old motor technology. I don't think you could build a faster car for less money? The new motors are very impressive, but I think the 2.7t might end up as the GOAT.

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:27 PM
born2workoncars is offline Click Here to See the Profile for born2workoncars Click here to Send born2workoncars a Private Message Find more posts by born2workoncars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
90_Shelby
First Gear

What I drive: Volvo, V-Wagon
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Originally posted by born2workoncars

I don't think you could build a faster car for less money?

An Audi???????????

Old Post 05-08-2017 11:09 PM
90_Shelby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 90_Shelby Click here to Send 90_Shelby a Private Message Find more posts by 90_Shelby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by born2workoncars
VAG motors are nuts.

This guy is into his s4 for $25-30k USD including the car itself. 20 year old motor technology. I don't think you could build a faster car for less money? The new motors are very impressive, but I think the 2.7t might end up as the GOAT.

Let's not get crazy here...

How much is an Accord 6-6 these days?

Old Post 05-08-2017 11:23 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
That.Guy.S30
FKA - Thi_Thi Subs

What I drive: FJC, S30
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

More than you can afford pal... vtec

Old Post 05-08-2017 11:37 PM
That.Guy.S30 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for That.Guy.S30 Click here to Send That.Guy.S30 a Private Message Find more posts by That.Guy.S30 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Tempted to pick up a girly TT-RS lol

Old Post 05-09-2017 12:37 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redlined_8000
First Gear

What I drive: Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Bolt ons and tune on the Golf R gives it potential to run 11s in the 1/4 (some guy just did it in Edmonton 2 weeks ago)

Cars are getting crazy. Its awesome.

Old Post 05-09-2017 02:26 AM
Redlined_8000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlined_8000 Click here to Send Redlined_8000 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlined_8000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Trader Rating: (61)

quote:

The importance of commas: I was wondering what "girl cars" are slow?

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:47 AM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonic

What I drive: Infinitis and Nissans
Posts/Day: 0.50

quote:

Quick girl cars....Audi TT, Mercedes SLK, Mini Cooper S

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:59 AM
Sonic is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Sonic Click here to Send Sonic a Private Message Find more posts by Sonic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam
The importance of commas: I was wondering what "girl cars" are slow?

Regular mini coopers, Miata's, every Lexus convertible, Beetles, Ford Expeditions...

Old Post 05-09-2017 04:08 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26

quote:

Better snap one up quick, no V6 for 2018. I think it's amazing to own a fuel sipping, quiet, reliable daily driver that is as fast as a '94 LT1 Corvette.

It's a great time to be a car enthusiast imo.

My brother's MK7 GTI is unbelievable for a little 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder. It gives you a nice big hit of low end torque off the line and pulls pretty hard.

Last edited by Hallowed_point on 05-09-2017 at 02:45 PM

Old Post 05-09-2017 02:34 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

The LT1 corvette isn't a fast car by today's standards man. Not to mention that car is 2 years away from being able to get classic car insurance! New vettes are running in the 11s/low 12s depending which one you buy.

Crazy to see how emissions killed performance for a long while. Our parents generation were building backyard 12 second cars and now we get excited about breaking into the 13s.

Good to see guys going to turbo v8s. The phrase of the early 2000s of "boost - a replacement for displacement" is such BS. Boost complements displacement

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:05 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Trader Rating: (61)

quote:

Regular mini coopers, Miata's, every Lexus convertible, Beetles, Ford Expeditions...

Not sure when 2 series became "boy cars" LOL

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:26 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
The LT1 corvette isn't a fast car by today's standards man. Not to mention that car is 2 years away from being able to get classic car insurance! New vettes are running in the 11s/low 12s depending which one you buy.

Crazy to see how emissions killed performance for a long while. Our parents generation were building backyard 12 second cars and now we get excited about breaking into the 13s.

Good to see guys going to turbo v8s. The phrase of the early 2000s of "boost - a replacement for displacement" is such BS. Boost complements displacement

If I told you in 1994 that my accord could give your 6 speed LT1 corvette a good race you'd never believe it. You're kinda missing what I'm getting at. We have camrys, accords, golfs that are as fast or faster than some of the top dog V8 muscle cars were 20 years ago. Now that is progression!

I'm not too thrilled about this move to forced induction across the board. I think it's great for people who don't keep cars out of warranty though and just want something quick.

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:30 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

They went forced induction back in the early 80s for production vehicles. I'm assuming it was cut because most people don't maintain their vehicle and would run problems that cost way too much to repair.

Doesn't the BMW 335 motor have issues a few years down the road with carbon build up? Now guys are working on a way to clean that up cost effectively?

Guess we do run a more, use and dispose society now.

Old Post 05-09-2017 03:36 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:07 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > boy cars are quick

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: