Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Anyone else getting screwed on Home Insurance Premiums?

Author
Thread
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

Anyone else getting screwed on Home Insurance Premiums? quote:

I pay mine annually.
No changes to the policy (that I've initiated anyways)
No claims made

June 2014 - $1002
June 2015 - $1202
June 2016 - $1389
June 2017 - $1581

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:04 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

danno
First Gear

What I drive: rs4, ram, 675f3
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

All the people bragging that they got a 20k check for hail damage you can thank for the increase.
I would assume the floods too.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:10 PM
danno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danno Click here to Send danno a Private Message Find more posts by danno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

That's brutal. Contact Touchstone. Maybe they can help you out..but as danno said they're getting nastier now as they're actually paying out more than usual.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:12 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I got a 200 dollar increase as well on a similar premium. Bullshit.

Definitely going to shop around for a new plan out of protest.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:15 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G-ZUS
Fourth Gear

What I drive: Blue boy
Posts/Day: 1.22
Trader Rating: (124)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

When shopping around recently, I was getting quotes from 1100 all the way to 3800

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:19 PM
G-ZUS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for G-ZUS Click here to Send G-ZUS a Private Message Find more posts by G-ZUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.30
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

The market has gotten more expensive, and actually worse coverage since nearly every company does a pro-rated payout on roofing these days, so if you roof is more than a couple of years old, even if it gets totally fucked by hail, you still end up paying for a portion of the replacement over an above your deductible.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:20 PM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

quote:

Honestly in Alberta I have no idea why roofs are insurable. They wear out, and take a beating. That's not insurance that's a payment plan.

What's next insure tires for cars as part of your policy?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

fact.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:27 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by killramos
Honestly in Alberta I have no idea why roofs are insurable. They wear out, and take a beating. That's not insurance that's a payment plan.

I don't think a completely separate category/policy for roof's would be a bad thing.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:37 PM
Tik-Tok is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.30

quote:

The problem is that a damaged roof can cause massive costs to the rest of the house, like if you get water damage.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:45 PM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

quote:

Then insure those costs but don't replace people's worn out roofs who coincidentally make a call after the latest hail storm. If people want their shingles insured bill it as supplemental, aka a payment plan.

fact.

Old Post 05-09-2017 07:52 PM
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Mine went down ~$200 this last December when I renewed.

Old Post 05-09-2017 08:43 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by killramos

Roofs are now prorated based on age for a complete replacement. Ie if hail fucked up a roof 2/3 into its life, you only get 1/3 replacement cost.

What I'm miffed about is I have replaced shakes with a more durable product and they won't do a discount.

Last edited by Xtrema on 05-09-2017 at 10:08 PM

Old Post 05-09-2017 10:03 PM
Xtrema is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinderksen
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03

quote:

I just did some random shopping around to see some prices out there and had mine dropped by $120 /month......should have done that a bit earlier.....

2003 GMC SLE 1500HD Donkey Hauler
2013 Ram Longhorn w/ a 6" lift and 35s
2017 Nissan Maxima

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:44 AM
colinderksen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinderksen Click here to Send colinderksen a Private Message Find more posts by colinderksen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

I complained last year when I had a large increase a few years in a row with no claims.

Agent told me to "blame Calgary". Said the hail and floods made for increases in all of Alberta.

I am sure we will all continue to see large increases due to last years fire in FM. Oh, and that year I did try a few other places and there wasn't much variance so I decided to stay where I have been for 10+ years. Hoping if/when the day comes that helps me out.

Old Post 05-10-2017 09:43 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

My home insurance went up $1 this year and is still really reasonable. The agent was laughing when she told me my rates increased......by $1.

Who the hell are you with???

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I don't think a completely separate category/policy for roof's would be a bad thing.

No doubt, should be like optional glass coverage. Reshingling my entire roof was 5k, why the hell would I want to make a claim on that and screw my rates long term (and please no one give me the naive line "that's not how it works, insurance companies are in the business of losing money and just want to be your friend")

Last edited by J-hop on 05-28-2017 at 06:53 AM

Old Post 05-28-2017 06:46 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:04 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Anyone else getting screwed on Home Insurance Premiums?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: