Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Social media - how many and how much?

Author
Thread
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

Social media - how many and how much? quote:

Social media is quite a large part of many people's lives and yet I find myself using social media platforms less and less - just uninstalled Facebook from my phone, hated the messenger part and couldn't stand the messenger indicator that always seemed on even though I didn't have messenger installed.

Twitter is probably my biggest go to social media platform and even that I only use sporadically. Snapchat, have an account but don't bother with it. Instagram - nope. Google+, have an account but don't use. LinkedIn or whatever it's called, have disabled my account there. Imgur, not even sure if it's social media but do have an account there - ditto for YouTube.

I just find that in my current situation that social media doesn't do much for me and is more of an annoyance than not. What of others?

Last edited by speedog on 05-10-2017 at 01:12 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-10-2017 06:02 AM
speedog is online now Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

FB a ton, most of the car forums including local buy sell have gone there so I use it all the time

Instagram a bit, I think I have 10 photos. But I follow a few local photographers that always have good content

Twitter - never, I installed it, was on it for a bit and didn't understand it so I deleted it. Although it was nice getting Calgary transit updates

LinkedIn - not much

YouTube - all the time, probably my number 1 source for information and entertainment. I follow 30+ channels quite closely

Nothing other than above.

Old Post 05-10-2017 06:22 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skyline_Addict
Third Gear

What I drive: Wannabe Skyline x2, Wannabe 911 GT3
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

for me, probably looks something like:

30% facebook
40% YouTube
20% Instagram (mostly for my dogs, lol)
10% LinkedIn and forums

Have never installed or used Snapchat or Twitter.

Old Post 05-10-2017 07:28 AM
Skyline_Addict is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skyline_Addict Click here to Send Skyline_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by Skyline_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Facebook
Instagram

Addicted to both. I don't bother with the rest.

Old Post 05-10-2017 07:44 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.30

quote:

. Twitter sucks.

Old Post 05-10-2017 02:55 PM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebane
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Social media is horrid and a waste of human time.

I'm on Youtube a lot but I don't consider that a social media site.

Old Post 05-10-2017 03:02 PM
firebane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebane Click here to Send firebane a Private Message Find more posts by firebane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

I'm on IG. Enjoy the things I consume before it becomes poop.

Old Post 05-10-2017 03:23 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36

quote:

Found this little gem a few days ago:

For those of my generation who do not and cannot comprehend why facebook exists: I am trying to make friends outside of facebook while applying the same principles.

Every day I walk down the street and tell passers by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I'll do later and with whom.

I give them photos of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like facebook! I already have four people following me: 2 police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:11 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schurchill39
Second Gear

What I drive: Ford, Acura, Harley
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (15)

quote:

Snap chat quite a bit with the guys from work
Instagram all the time (mostly for picture of butts and dogs)
Twitter I only ever use for Calgary Transit updates
Facebook I find myself using less and less.

Eventually I'd like to get rid of them all but I'm far too weak for that right now.

Originally posted by rage2
...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:15 PM
schurchill39 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

What I drive: changes every year
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

I have Instagram and that's it. usually to post car stuff and look at the ridiculous shit my work buddies do. it's fairly useless.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:26 PM
03ozwhip is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26

quote:

Instagram is awful. It's even more fake than fakebook.

I waste too much time on fb, but youtube is my go to. I've learned a ton off of it. Youtube > All. social media without half of the drama and bs.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:28 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
never
FKA no|uno

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 97%

quote:

My FB account has been inactive for probably 5-7 years. I did restart it last year (or maybe it was the year before) to use for car build progress. But it was just too much of a pain in the ass. So I setup an IG page for the car because it's pretty simple to update the build. And I only follow car pages because I really don't care what people do on a daily basis. So I really only use IG to put up pics of the car, and look at pics of other cars.

On YouTube too but it doesn't feel like the other social media platforms.

Oh, have an account on LinkedIn but I don't use it...more of a keep it active just in case type thing.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:40 PM
never is offline Click Here to See the Profile for never Click here to Send never a Private Message Find more posts by never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

You guys are my social media

But seriously I'm on instagram and FB way too much. Recently getting into snap. I post maybe once/week on each of those. Been getting into commenting on memes though... probably not healthy at all

Have twitter / linkedin that I rarely use unless the notification emails entice me.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:47 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EK 2.0
Beyond's Biggest E-Mack

What I drive: ...BNT0B0X...
Posts/Day: 1.73
Trader Rating: (31)

quote:

IG - Addicted...
FB - Could be more addicted...
SnapChat - Addicted...man I love the flower filters!!
Twitter - Hardly tweet anymore but do read...

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:56 PM
EK 2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EK 2.0 Click here to Send EK 2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by EK 2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN IF YOU DIDN'T POST IT ON INSTAGRAM.

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:09 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Instagram is awful. It's even more fake than fakebook.

I waste too much time on fb, but youtube is my go to. I've learned a ton off of it. Youtube > All. social media without half of the drama and bs.

This exactly. I honestly can't remotely comprehend instagram. It's the epitome of vapid narcissism. "Oh look, I posted a picture that took me 10-30 minutes to setup everything just right, either like it, comment with 'ermhagerd amazing' and 'ur so lucky!' or move on". No discussion, no thought, just mindless consumption.

I only use facebook now for business promotion and racing promotion/discussion. Even then, people bring their political ideals/beliefs into stuff as germane as racing rules discussion. Its ridiculous, so I'm actively even trying to avoid that.

But its great for business. And it makes it easy to find out everything about racing going on in the world I want, as well as make business connections. So I'll keep using it. I don't consider YouTube social media, more like cable TV. I do produce clips of the race team, so I guess its social media for me in a sense...

Edit-
To be clear, my main issue with instagram is it does nothing better than facebook for the tasks both are used for, and does everything else worse by being so niche.

Last edited by HiTempguy1 on 05-10-2017 at 05:24 PM

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:18 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marsh
Neutral

What I drive: 535i Xdrive
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

I like twitter as I follow news and stuff from there, so essentially can tailor it to my interests. No Facebook, No snapchat, no Instagram. Their all a waste of time.

Beyond is the original time waster and always will be

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:22 PM
Marsh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marsh Click here to Send Marsh a Private Message Find more posts by Marsh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
IT DIDN'T HAPPEN IF YOU DIDN'T POST IT ON INSTAGRAM.

Poor Sugarphreak and his unicorn

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:22 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
This exactly. I honestly can't remotely comprehend instagram. It's the epitome of vapid narcissism. "Oh look, I posted a picture that took me 10-30 minutes to setup everything just right, either like it, comment with 'ermhagerd amazing' and 'ur so lucky!' or move on". No discussion, no thought, just mindless consumption.

I only use facebook now for business promotion and racing promotion/discussion. Even then, people bring their political ideals/beliefs into stuff as germane as racing rules discussion. Its ridiculous, so I'm actively even trying to avoid that.

But its great for business. And it makes it easy to find out everything about racing going on in the world I want, as well as make business connections. So I'll keep using it. I don't consider YouTube social media, more like cable TV. I do produce clips of the race team, so I guess its social media for me in a sense...

Edit-
To be clear, my main issue with instagram is it does nothing better than facebook for the tasks both are used for, and does everything else worse by being so niche.

Totally dude. I'm old school as well in that I still love forums. Heck I've been using forums since I was 12

That said, I've had some awesome experiences on fakebook as well. Pretty cool to be able to chat with a musician that you listened to years ago (people who actually respond personally, not managers.) Also got in touch with a guy in hawaii who knows a ton about my deceased grandpa. I just delete anyone who has nothing better to do than post baby pics and slutty selfies.

Last edited by Hallowed_point on 05-10-2017 at 05:42 PM

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:35 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoPulp
First Gear

What I drive: 1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 2004 Mustang GT
Posts/Day: 0.92
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I go through phases of using social media a bunch and then hardly at all. On vacations I don't use social media at all, so nice to get away. Plus its annoying when people post a million photos of their vacations while on their vacation.

Instagram - Fav I liked it better before when it was super simple. Facebook ruined it, especially with the snap chat copy shit. Have been using it less though.
Facebook - Events, some groups, my photography page and messenger. Use a decent amount, not as much as I did in the past.
Snapchat - GF only. Can't stand when people want to keep streaks, fuck off.
Twitter - garbage, Hate is so much. Why do people use it?
Linkedin - have it, don't find it useful. Update it once in awhile.

Forums - decent amount
Flickr - my own gallery and use to transfer photos from computer to phone for Instagram.

1994 Mustang - 4.2 V6 swap w/M112 Supercharger Build Thread
2004 Mustang GT - Track Build Thread

Last edited by NoPulp on 05-10-2017 at 07:26 PM

Old Post 05-10-2017 05:46 PM
NoPulp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NoPulp Click here to Send NoPulp a Private Message Find more posts by NoPulp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:11 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Social media - how many and how much?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: