Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Sutherland's "knife" gesture at council meeting

Author
Thread
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.51
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

Sutherland's "knife" gesture at council meeting quote:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...colleagues-back

City hall’s integrity commissioner has been asked to review Coun. Ward Sutherland’s behaviour after a live-stream recording appeared to show him making a “twisting a knife” gesture into the back of a female colleague during a recent public council meeting.

I don't know which is more childish. The one who did the gesture or the one who made a big deal out of it. Should we talk to his parents?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:04 PM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

vengie
First Gear

What I drive: OM642
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Call me crazy, but I don't see a knife gesture? Looks to me like it was more of a key or opening a door?

Regardless, awesome to see our city council continue to be useless.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:48 PM
vengie is online now Click Here to See the Profile for vengie Click here to Send vengie a Private Message Find more posts by vengie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Star1995

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Could be a key turning but the head flop simulating death afterwards say knife to me.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:59 PM
Star1995 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Star1995 Click here to Send Star1995 a Private Message Find more posts by Star1995 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent.ff
Neutral

What I drive: '14 Taco
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

could careless about the knife thing, but man what's with these paid dudes just sitting on their phones and just about having their feet up on the desk... Pokemon Go-ing?

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:14 PM
Brent.ff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent.ff Click here to Send Brent.ff a Private Message Find more posts by Brent.ff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

Re: Sutherland's "knife" gesture at council meeting quote:

Originally posted by lilmira http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...colleagues-back

I don't know which is more childish. The one who did the gesture or the people who are making a big deal out of it. Should we talk to his parents?

Fixed.

I follow Ward fairly closely. He seems to be one of the more useful and informed councillors.

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:16 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

I wouldn't stab her in the back. you'd miss getting to see her reaction.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:23 PM
dirtsniffer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Brent.ff
could careless about the knife thing, but man what's with these paid dudes just sitting on their phones and just about having their feet up on the desk... Pokemon Go-ing?

Yeah it looks extremely professional that's for sure

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:38 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

I saw the video and frankly I laughed, which I am pretty sure was the intended result

He looked extremely bored listening to her drone on about something mundane. The gesture looked like he was stabbing himself in boredom, similar to when people gesture to blown their brains out with a finger gun

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:46 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nufy
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I saw the video and frankly I laughed, which I am pretty sure was the intended result

He looked extremely bored listening to her drone on about something mundane. The gesture looked like he was stabbing himself in boredom, similar to when people gesture to blown their brains out with a finger gun

I agree...but I am also waiting for farrels passionate emotional response calling for him to step down as a result.

Old Post 05-15-2017 07:08 PM
Nufy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nufy Click here to Send Nufy a Private Message Find more posts by Nufy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

I have been out of the corporate world for almost ten years now but when I was in that world it was considered very inappropriate to be using any sort of device to do whatever on the Internet while in a meeting. This included email, surfing or whatever.

It does seem that times have changed as both Nenshi and Chabot have been seen on their smart phones during council meetings. Feet up on the desk, like wtf. Part of their job as being in city council is to attend meeting and I should expect that attendance should be done with some semblance of proper meeting etiquette - feet up on the desk or almost is not proper meeting etiquette to me.

These council members need to rethink their commitment to the job they've been elected to - if it bores them so much so that they can not show an active interest in what's going on in the meetings they're attending then maybe they just shouldn't be there.

Old Post 05-15-2017 07:29 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

But Nenshi NEEDS to be able to get into Twitter wars at any time of the day. Even letting someone call him out for the length of a council meeting is unacceptable.

Old Post 05-15-2017 07:33 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

2 term limits - get these clowns out. SO many city councils suffer from years of personell conflicts and get nothing done as a result. Shit like this makes the news rather than what the council ACTUALLY got accomplished.

Both parties are clowns. One needs to grow up one needs to shut up.

Old Post 05-15-2017 08:01 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by speedog
I have been out of the corporate world for almost ten years now but when I was in that world it was considered very inappropriate to be using any sort of device to do whatever on the Internet while in a meeting. This included email, surfing or whatever.

I'd say that has changed quite a bit over the last decade. When I first started, it was consider inappropriate. However, not really anymore, most meeting I go into have people surfing on phones unless the discussion specifically involves them. Usually the upper management guys are doing it the most.

Old Post 05-15-2017 08:09 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Druh's so hot.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-15-2017 08:22 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Old Post 05-15-2017 08:30 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.88
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Originally posted by revelations
2 term limits - get these clowns out. SO many city councils suffer from years of personell conflicts and get nothing done as a result. Shit like this makes the news rather than what the council ACTUALLY got accomplished.

For the media to report on what city council has gotten accomplished, they would need to first need to accomplish something meaningful.

From the last little while, all I can recall is the story about Nenshi funneling his fundraising through the city for tax receipts, the next tax hike being higher than we were told (not a shock), council saying that the Green Line would be phased (not news, they have known since last year), Nenshi shooting down a proposal that would force he and his colleagues to pay attention and now this.

I'd say that has changed quite a bit over the last decade. When I first started, it was consider inappropriate. However, not really anymore, most meeting I go into have people surfing on phones unless the discussion specifically involves them. Usually the upper management guys are doing it the most.

[QUOTE]

On the job I just finished, this was cracked down on a lot. Mind you, we were in the construction/commissioning/start-up phase, so there was nearly 100% chance someone else was going something that impacted you in some way.

Old Post 05-15-2017 09:19 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheCheff
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

Originally posted by revelations

FWIW, I believe Ward Sutherland has campaigned in the past on initiating term limits. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3.

Old Post 05-15-2017 09:36 PM
TheCheff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheCheff Click here to Send TheCheff a Private Message Find more posts by TheCheff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
acedia

What I drive: '16 Golf TSI
Posts/Day: 0.07

quote:

Never occurred to me it was a knife thing. Looks to me like he's winding up an old talking toy doll. Like she won't bloody shut up.

Kind of related: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Chatty Kathy

Old Post 05-15-2017 09:52 PM
acedia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for acedia Click here to Send acedia a Private Message Find more posts by acedia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
legendboy
AMG Killer

What I drive: 6.7 CUMMINS
Posts/Day: 0.84
Trader Rating: (28)

quote:

Originally posted by acedia
Never occurred to me it was a knife thing. Looks to me like he's winding up an old talking toy doll. Like she won't bloody shut up.

Kind of related: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Chatty Kathy

regardless sill funny

https:[email protected]

Old Post 05-15-2017 10:04 PM
legendboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for legendboy Click here to Send legendboy a Private Message Find more posts by legendboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

I have noticed in just the last 5 years with an increased focus by a lot of companies on introducing standardized practices/sign off procedures the number of meetings where many of the attendees really don't need to be there is increasing. Cell phone usage in meetings seems to be increasing at the same rate.

Old Post 05-15-2017 11:18 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:06 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Sutherland's "knife" gesture at council meeting

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: