Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > % of income on mortgage payment and % of income on total housing costs?

Author
Thread
88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

% of income on mortgage payment and % of income on total housing costs? quote:

What % of net (take home) pay are you paying towards your monthly mortgage payment?

And

What % of net (take home) pay are you spending monthly on housing costs? Housing costs being mortgage + property tax + condo fee’s (if applicable) + utilities (not including cable/internet) + insurance.

Read lots of stuff online about total housing costs to not exceed 30% gross salary which seems absurdly high! Is 30% of net salary for all housing costs more reasonable/safe or is 30% of net still crazy?

Obviously the amounts of other debt one has will make a huge difference in these calculations but interesting topic to see roughly where people are actually at.

Edit: In before 10% net salary payments towards $1m house baller posts!

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:05 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

vengie
First Gear

What I drive: OM642
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

I was ~40% of net income on my condo living alone, however its now rented and it pretty much covers itself.

I now split a place with my GF so I am closer to ~20%. Although with her income she is closer to ~40% on our current place.

At 40% I felt pretty trapped, I don't think I would personally exceed 30% of net going forward.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:12 PM
vengie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vengie Click here to Send vengie a Private Message Find more posts by vengie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
infected
Second Gear

What I drive: Econobox
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (40)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

I'm 24% mortgage and 48% housing. After savings and all, pretty trapped too

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:16 PM
infected is offline Click Here to See the Profile for infected Click here to Send infected a Private Message Find more posts by infected Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KappaSigma

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

0% house is paid off.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:17 PM
KappaSigma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KappaSigma Click here to Send KappaSigma a Private Message Find more posts by KappaSigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

For a long time the total housing costs would have been about 25% of net household income.

FWIW, I would re-define total housing costs as mortgage, property tax, all utilities including cable & internet plus monthly savings to build a cash reserve of about $10K for large repairs like a new furnace, HWT, condo cash call, etc. That should probably be another $250 - $300 a month until the cash reserve is built up.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:20 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s_havinga
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

Hmm, never actually ran those numbers.

If I go straight off my Net pay, my total housing costs (mortgage, insurance, utilities and property tax) take up around 64% of my paycheque.

My wife does work part time so if I factor that in I am down to around 54%

Looks like we are around 40% of gross Salary and live pretty comfortable.

We own 100% of everything else we have so no car loans. LOC's or CC debt.

Seeing as I obviously have a higher ratio then the internet suggests, my question is, what do people spend their money on if they actually are under that 30% mark? We have decent savings, make monthly RRSP and RESP contributions, send our kids to private school and take a few vacations a year (mostly camping but the occasions all inclusive winter get away) and the cash flow works?

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:24 PM
s_havinga is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s_havinga Click here to Send s_havinga a Private Message Find more posts by s_havinga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Bachelor checking in here. I'm over 40% net for just mortgage

Last edited by jwslam on 05-15-2017 at 04:28 PM

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:26 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

quote:

Originally posted by s_havinga

Seeing as I obviously have a higher ratio then the internet suggests, my question is, what do people spend their money on if they actually are under that 30% mark? We have decent savings, make monthly RRSP and RESP contributions, send our kids to private school and take a few vacations a year (mostly camping but the occasions all inclusive winter get away) and the cash flow works?

The smarter ones probably have larger savings accounts/investments and meaningful/maxed out RRSP/TFSA contributions.

The not so smart ones have $500-$1000/month car payments I bet

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:33 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vengie
First Gear

What I drive: OM642
Posts/Day: 0.28
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by s_havinga
Hmm, never actually ran those numbers.

If I go straight off my Net pay, my total housing costs (mortgage, insurance, utilities and property tax) take up around 64% of my paycheque.

My wife does work part time so if I factor that in I am down to around 54%

Looks like we are around 40% of gross Salary and live pretty comfortable.

We own 100% of everything else we have so no car loans. LOC's or CC debt.

I think you're in a slightly different scenario than most considering you have everything else paid off.

I believe the internet's % is based off the assumption of an $XXX/ month car payment and minor other debts.

I just paid off my other debts so I will be in a similar position to you on our next house. Pumped up to start socking away some major cash!

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:34 PM
vengie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vengie Click here to Send vengie a Private Message Find more posts by vengie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BavarianBeast
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.51
User Rating: 98%

quote:

What constitutes as pay?

About 30% of my income is from salary/full time work and 70% of it is from investments/dividends/small business/etc.

I only spend my salary on my mortgage/housing costs, and that ends up being around 25% of my pay cheque.

Everything else is dumped into travelling, future children's university fund, investments and bad habits..

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:37 PM
BavarianBeast is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BavarianBeast Click here to Send BavarianBeast a Private Message Find more posts by BavarianBeast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
88CRX

quote:

And I guess total debt vs net salary ratio would be more interesting to know. But I'm not sure if people would honestly share that information.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:38 PM
never
FKA no|uno

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Looks like we are at 26% of net for mortgage...which is pretty good because our payments are higher than needed. With everything else factored in, it's around 34%.

And the nice thing is...no car payments, no loans, nothing on the HELOC, no balance carried on the CCs, and no kids.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:41 PM
never is offline Click Here to See the Profile for never Click here to Send never a Private Message Find more posts by never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Now that we are SI2K's it's around 30% for total housing costs, maybe a little more. When we were DI2K's it was under 15%.

Although I do run a very "cash conserving" mortgage of the longest amortization. Back when we were a two income family we also put some extra mortgage payments in to hit the principal. The flexibility to stop those and how quite low monthly payments now is quite welcome.

Old Post 05-15-2017 04:45 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
XylathaneGTR
First Gear

What I drive: got knocked the fuck out
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

'bout 27% for mortgage, and 40% on housing costs as described by OP.
Live alone, inner city condo. No other debt.

Originally posted by scat19
I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:05 PM
XylathaneGTR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for XylathaneGTR Click here to Send XylathaneGTR a Private Message Find more posts by XylathaneGTR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manhattan
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

21% and 31% for condo living. Might upgrade to a house in which case that number will obviously go up. I'd say don't worry too much about cash flow as long as you are able to pay mortgage payments relatively comfortably. You spend a significant portion of your life in your home and its one of the few things in life where you get to enjoy and use it and it retains or appreciates in value. Just keep a rainy day fund just in case of some financial calamity.

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:13 PM
Manhattan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manhattan Click here to Send Manhattan a Private Message Find more posts by Manhattan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
botox

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

We are not big spenders, most shopping is done at Costco, this includes clothes LOL. Wife just came back from china and got all our blinds done, tons of savings there

Dual full time income, married with 2 kids
25% Mortgage
25% Housing

- Have a rental that's breaking even with mortgage payments.
- Max out RRSP contributions yearly thanks to work match program
- Max out RESP for kids
- No other debts or loans. Cars are paid off.

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:22 PM
botox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for botox Click here to Send botox a Private Message Find more posts by botox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Single person.
22% for my total housing costs. Don't feel like figuring out just my mortgage stuff.
I have renters.

Edit: Single vs couple makes a massive difference in lowering your costs.

Last edited by mr2mike on 05-15-2017 at 05:29 PM

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:26 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riander5
First Gear

What I drive: Lexus IS250
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

One and a half income w/ gf

Total housing costs 25%

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:32 PM
riander5 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for riander5 Click here to Send riander5 a Private Message Find more posts by riander5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Single and ready to mingle

2/5 mortgage
Almost half on total housing.

Condo fees

Old Post 05-15-2017 05:56 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cycosis
Second Gear

What I drive: 2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Gross salary, before taxes is 15.4% mortgage, 21.4% total housing. BUT, I dont actually take possession f the house until June

We own both our cars outright and no other debt

Thats just the forecast

1968 Impala: Status: Stored for restoration
1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Status: Sold
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Status: Sold
2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Status: Crusing
2000 Bluebird TC2000: Deconstruction phase of skoolie build

Old Post 05-15-2017 06:33 PM
cycosis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cycosis Click here to Send cycosis a Private Message Find more posts by cycosis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:22 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > % of income on mortgage payment and % of income on total housing costs?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: