Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Blacksmithing Courses/Workshop?

Author
Thread
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

Blacksmithing Courses/Workshop? quote:

I thought this would be a cool thing to try out. Does anyone know of any shops or instructors that run a weekend workshop for basic knife making? Like to learn some basic skills and come home with a product at the end of the weekend? I'd be happy to drive to Red Deer, Edmonton, etc. since I doubt this type thing is too common.

I watched some Forged In Fire episodes and figure if those guys can bang out a knife in 3-4 hours I should be able to make something that resembles a Knife in 3-4 days but who knows I've wanted to try it for a long time though, I'm genuinely interested in it and it looks fun.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-16-2017 05:50 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Buster
First Gear

What I drive: 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2012 GL350
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Plus, you will be useful after the zombie/nuclear apocalypse.

Old Post 05-16-2017 05:55 PM
Buster is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Buster Click here to Send Buster a Private Message Find more posts by Buster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JfuckinC
Second Gear

What I drive: CRF450R, Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.39
User Rating: 96%

quote:

haha forged in fire peaked my interest in this too. no time though

Old Post 05-16-2017 05:56 PM
JfuckinC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JfuckinC Click here to Send JfuckinC a Private Message Find more posts by JfuckinC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buster
First Gear

What I drive: 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2012 GL350
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by JfuckinC
haha forged in fire peaked my interest in this too. no time though

"pique".

Sorry.

Old Post 05-16-2017 06:16 PM
Buster is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Buster Click here to Send Buster a Private Message Find more posts by Buster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JfuckinC
Second Gear

What I drive: CRF450R, Ram 1500
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by Buster

"pique".

Sorry.

haha, no worries. Now I know

Old Post 05-16-2017 07:29 PM
JfuckinC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JfuckinC Click here to Send JfuckinC a Private Message Find more posts by JfuckinC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tezzating
First Gear

What I drive: Forester STI
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

NAIT offers classes run by these guys http://www.frontstepforge.com/classes.aspx

Old Post 05-22-2017 02:52 PM
Tezzating is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tezzating Click here to Send Tezzating a Private Message Find more posts by Tezzating Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tirebob
Forum Sponsor

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (33)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

There is a fellow Garth Thompson who owns SGT Blades here in Airdrie who used to teach guys on the weekend. There is more to it than the show lets on and it definitely is not three hours lol! That is just the banging time you see on the show. Those knives have to still get tempered etc and that isn't shown.

Garth is a good knife and sword maker. Really though, most of the best makers in the world don't piss around with pounding metal to basic shape. The steel you buy in bar stock will be better quality than anything you will pound together at home. I would suggest starting with bar stock and just do a stock removal to begin with. That said, pounding will work out some anger! Lol

Old Post 05-22-2017 03:02 PM
tirebob is online now Click Here to See the Profile for tirebob Click here to Send tirebob a Private Message Find more posts by tirebob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:08 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Blacksmithing Courses/Workshop?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: