Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by lilmira
    I was gonna buy the Baratza Virtuoso but I ended up buying a combo machine. It has very good reviews.

Another step that I noticed when I started is the difference between good beans and the ones you can buy from any supermarket. I keep buying from P&S now since the bag size is just right for myself and they have a date on the bag stating when they are roasted. Artigiano is pretty good too but their bags are 1lb I think, a little much for me to finish before it goes stale. The aroma of fresh (roasted) beans is so good.
    My co-worker just mentioned a good deal at Costco for a combo espresso machine. Tempting @ $300 but I have to make my moka pot purchase justifiable!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

If you are talking about the Breville one at costco, 830XL? I think, don't do it. Since you have to buy a grinder anyway, you might as well buy the 860XL with the burr grinder for under 500. It's decent for the price, any higher end machine/grinder combo will run you easily a thousand but it will be worth it and they look nice in the kitchen.

My Ride
    Exploded.

If you are talking about the Breville one at costco, 830XL? I think, don't do it. Since you have to buy a grinder anyway, you might as well buy the 860XL with the burr grinder for under 500. It's decent for the price, any higher end machine/grinder combo will run you easily a thousand but it will be worth it and they look nice in the kitchen.
    I just want a decent grinder haha.

I don't think I'd want an espresso combo in my office; too noisy lol.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

No way I'm bringing my own coffee machine to the office. Get your office to buy one lol.

My Ride
    Exploded.

No way I'm bringing my own coffee machine to the office. Get your office to buy one lol.
    We have one; Van Houtte FTL.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I have a Baratza Maestro Plus and it works pretty well for french press but I haven't tried it for anything fine enough for espressos. I think the next model up (may be the Virtuoso actually) is better suited for that.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by flipstah

I just want a decent grinder haha.

I don't think I'd want an espresso combo in my office; too noisy lol.
    Originally posted by msommers
    I have a Baratza Maestro Plus and it works pretty well for french press but I haven't tried it for anything fine enough for espressos. I think the next model up (may be the Virtuoso actually) is better suited for that.
    Baratza Maestro Plus will probably do for what you need. If you have aspirations of owning an espresso machine in the future though, it won't quite cut it... I'd step up one higher than the Virtuoso and go with the Vario if that's the case.

My Ride
    Hybrid

I was gonna buy the Baratza Virtuoso but I ended up buying a combo machine. It has very good reviews.

Another step that I noticed when I started is the difference between good beans and the ones you can buy from any supermarket. I keep buying from P&S now since the bag size is just right for myself and they have a date on the bag stating when they are roasted. Artigiano is pretty good too but their bags are 1lb I think, a little much for me to finish before it goes stale. The aroma of fresh (roasted) beans is so good.
    My favorite place to buy beans is Kawa. They have an awesome selection - Black Cat, 49th Parallel, Malabar Gold, and most recently Elysian. Always fresh and cheaper than other cafes. They only sell 1lb bags though.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I'll have to try it out. Their website shows 12oz size bag, same as the ones I buy from P&S. It usually takes me 2-3 weeks to finish a bag which is perfect.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 03:00 AM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by kaput

I thought deVille was the exclusive local distributor for Intelligentsia?
    I hadn't heard anything like that before... I know Communitea in Canmore had it long before anywhere in Calgary.

Kawa has had Intelligentsia for quite a while now and they bring in some of the special batches like Honey Badger and Fruit Bat when they're available.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I might check out Fratello tonight for those Baratza grinders. Cheaper by 10$ than P&S and closer to me.

Any thoughts on their bean collection?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If you're just doing stove top or French press, look into the Hario hand grinders. Quite a bit cheaper. But if you're thinking espresso, you really have to buy a quality grinder to make it worthwhile.

Regardless, grinder is probably the most important piece in the equipment department so do it right but to your needs
    Last edited by msommers; 11-30-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

If you're just doing stove top or French press, look into the Hario hand grinders. Quite a bit cheaper. But if you're thinking espresso, you really have to buy a quality grinder to make it worthwhile.

Regardless, grinder is probably the most important piece in the equipment department so do it right but to your needs

I can't skimp out on the grinder or else there's no point. I'm definitely thinking home-made espresso down the route but I want to master the moka pot first before I move up a level.

I may go for the mid-level Baratza Virtuoso(?) grinder as it satisfies what I need for the moka pot and have the ability to come with me when I do step things up.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Honestly for French press like me, I wish I didn't bother getting the maestro, should have got a good Hario hand grinder. If you're thinking espresso later then get a good grinder for that not a middle ground for both, IMO.

Moka/FP: Hario
    Espresso/everything: Vario (w) or equiv.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

Honestly for French press like me, I wish I didn't bother getting the maestro, should have got a good Hario hand grinder. If you're thinking espresso later then get a good grinder for that not a middle ground for both, IMO.

Well, I didn't buy it yet. I'm still deciding and shopping around for my kind of beans.

I will take that into consideration!

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 03:00 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by kaput
    Don't try and get a grinder that will do the full range between espresso and french press. You will end up with something that isn't good at anything. The Vario seems to have quite a following but personally I've read about too many issues with them. It's a nice idea but my impression is that doesn't translate into consistent long term performance. There are better options for the price.

If you want both types of brews then get two grinders. Spend the big money on the espresso grinder and then get a cheap one for the press / drip brews.

Okay, so my goal is to have the best valued grinder per dollar.

My main method right now is through a moka pot.

I'm thinking:

http://www.fratellocoffee.com/fratel...-mill-skerton/

or

http://www.atouchofitaly.ca/index.ph...uct-flyer.html

Local sourcing only so I can buy and use ASAP.

Which one would you choose? Thoughts? Alternatives?

I'll step up to the grinder mode when I have an espresso machine and I know how to use one.

My Ride
    93 integra

I hate all of you for this thread haha. I'd finally kicked my coffee habit. Now it's back full force...Great...

Not like coffee is bad anyways, it's tasty as all hell!!!!

I got a free 12oz bag of Black Cat coffee with my Silvia and I'm loving it. Like having a P&S latte at home.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/...ck-cat-project

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast