Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

Author
Thread
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
What would be the advantage of that compared to brewing some fresh ground coffee in the morning and keeping it in a good thermos? Looks neat though.

Mostly because I don't have to grow a beard and wear tight jeans...

In all seriousness though, I like that it can do hot water too. So if I take it camping, I can make myself some ramen, or the kids some hot chocolate.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2017 11:11 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by spikerS

Mostly because I don't have to grow a beard and wear tight jeans...

In all seriousness though, I like that it can do hot water too. So if I take it camping, I can make myself some ramen, or the kids some hot chocolate.

Haha fair enough - good point about the instant hot water.

Old Post 01-19-2017 11:27 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sl888
First Gear

What I drive: 2004 Honda Civic SiR
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Strider

I'm still finding it tasting a bit diluted... I need to pin down a couple variables (beans and dose) so I can mess around with grind size and time.

My JJ Beans were roasted in early-Dec, but now I'm onto a bag of Rosso two wheel espresso beans roasted in mid-Dec. Water I'm using just off the boil. Grind size I'm using a Hario mini and trying to work off of descriptions like "size of sea salt" that I see in some Aeropress guides. Not sure if I'm getting a lot of fines, but I get quite a bit of resistance plunging already - so hesitating to go finer (but I probably will).

Thanks for the link - I was looking at the WAC website and they only listed one recipe. First thing I noticed from that site:
code:
Filipís recipe: Inverted method Dry coffee: 35 grams

If I'm using that much beans for a cup, I may as well give up and go to Analog for my afternoon coffee.

Kalita Wave next? would take some talent to break one of those

The AP brews a clean cup. When you say diluted, are you referring to mouthfeel? If so, try the Disk filter by Able brewing. I'm thinking you want a richer cup.

You're fine at 20 grams. I would not increase it as it will likely lead to under-extraction. Sea salt sized particles is too course. Definitely go finer. It is important to have consistent particle sizes for full immersion brewing. I quickly ditched my Hario for a Porlex. I should've went with a Lido but I put the funds towards an electric grinder.

The next time you buy beans, ask the shop for their AP brewing parameters. I'm sure most shops will be more than helpful. I would avoid espresso beans, especially blends, with the AP. You'll get a more flavourful cup with a lighter roast.

The stainless steel Kalita Wave is really nice! It's more forgiving than the V60 but just too expensive. I'll give it a try the next time I break my new V60 haha.

Old Post 01-24-2017 06:37 PM
sl888 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sl888 Click here to Send sl888 a Private Message Find more posts by sl888 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent.ff
Neutral

What I drive: '14 Taco
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

tried the blond espresso today from starbucks. not bad, definitely a lot more similar to the a cup you'd get from Analog or similar

Old Post 02-16-2017 03:22 PM
Brent.ff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent.ff Click here to Send Brent.ff a Private Message Find more posts by Brent.ff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnlennon

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Quit coffee, its worth it. No more waiting in line like a zombie, cranky in the morning, mid afternoon coffee craving, school bus yellow teeth. 6 months in and never gong back .

Old Post 02-19-2017 05:30 PM
johnlennon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnlennon Click here to Send johnlennon a Private Message Find more posts by johnlennon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Well, it's official, I can't really tell the difference between the different beans. I have been happy with whatever catches my eye at co-op, including the house brand "cooperative coffee".

Fresh grind does make a big difference to me though. Still grinding away one cup at a time.

Old Post 02-19-2017 09:26 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msommers
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 10' 4Runner SR5
Posts/Day: 1.41
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by johnlennon
Quit coffee, its worth it. No more waiting in line like a zombie, cranky in the morning, mid afternoon coffee craving, school bus yellow teeth. 6 months in and never gong back .

So you're taking caffeine pills eh

Old Post 02-20-2017 12:42 AM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)

quote:

Originally posted by sl888
The AP brews a clean cup. When you say diluted, are you referring to mouthfeel? If so, try the Disk filter by Able brewing. I'm thinking you want a richer cup.

You're fine at 20 grams. I would not increase it as it will likely lead to under-extraction. Sea salt sized particles is too course. Definitely go finer. It is important to have consistent particle sizes for full immersion brewing. I quickly ditched my Hario for a Porlex. I should've went with a Lido but I put the funds towards an electric grinder.

The next time you buy beans, ask the shop for their AP brewing parameters. I'm sure most shops will be more than helpful. I would avoid espresso beans, especially blends, with the AP. You'll get a more flavourful cup with a lighter roast.

Finally got to a point where I'm reasonably happy with the AP, but after a week of drinking hipster coffee in Vancouver (mostly Chemex), I'll definitely start playing around with some lighter roasted single origin beans. Another realization was that I do prefer more body... the Chemex delivers what I guess people refer to as a more "tea-like" cup, which I found lacking. Will look into a metal disk for my AP.

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Old Post 02-21-2017 04:56 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Busted out the scale, and I'm using around 10 grams for my pour-over. I should try doubling that and see how I like the flavour.

Old Post 02-21-2017 05:03 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msommers
Fourth Gear

quote:

Able Brewing, my God that is a dangerous place for my wallet!

Group buys anyone?!

Old Post 02-22-2017 04:16 PM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Busted out the scale, and I'm using around 10 grams for my pour-over. I should try doubling that and see how I like the flavour.

Ran a double-dose for my pour-over cup this morning. Pretty small difference in flavour, but found it dried my mouth out while drinking it. I'm no chemist, but that probably means there's more of something in there. Would be fascinating to know what the caffeine was for each.

Didn't think anything good happened, so I'll go back to my "regular" amount of grinding.

Old Post 02-26-2017 02:08 PM
TYMSMNY
First Gear

What I drive: AMGGGGGGsixtythree
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

I stopped drinking as much "coffee" as possible and went to double espressos only. Bought a Breville 870XL machine and use the Kicking Horse Espresso beans. So easy and inexpensive to make.

anyone have some good recommendations on espresso only beans?

Old Post 02-26-2017 06:47 PM
TYMSMNY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TYMSMNY Click here to Send TYMSMNY a Private Message Find more posts by TYMSMNY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Anyone ever order beans from Rave Coffee in Canmore?
I came across them on social media, prices are better than local (~$20/lb for single origin beans, vs $20/340g here) and I'm very intrigued by their Ethiopia Yirgacheffe (had one in Vancouver with intense blueberry notes).

$75 for free shipping though - any takers for a group buy?

Old Post 03-07-2017 04:40 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Anyone ever order beans from Rave Coffee in Canmore?
I came across them on social media, prices are better than local (~$20/lb for single origin beans, vs $20/340g here) and I'm very intrigued by their Ethiopia Yirgacheffe (had one in Vancouver with intense blueberry notes).

$75 for free shipping though - any takers for a group buy?

Ended up putting in an order from here anyways. Got 5 (small) bags of single origin beans and a large bag of Espresso blend. They're all great coffees, but the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Natural has so much character it's simply amazing... blueberry and dark chocolate all the way through

Old Post 03-27-2017 09:52 PM
msommers
Fourth Gear

quote:

Damn that sounds good! Report back!

Old Post 03-27-2017 09:54 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Ended up putting in an order from here anyways. Got 5 (small) bags of single origin beans and a large bag of Espresso blend. They're all great coffees, but the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Natural has so much character it's simply amazing... blueberry and dark chocolate all the way through

These kinds of things are why I'll never understand people putting cream/sugar in their coffee, or wanting the darkest/boldest burnt roast possible. That sounds awesome.

Old Post 03-27-2017 10:12 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msommers
Fourth Gear

quote:

Frettelo's dark cherry has a very bold cherry flavour and it's awesome to shake up the flavour routine. It's pretty overwhelming, so while I enjoy it, I don't think I would want to drink it all the time.

Old Post 03-27-2017 11:01 PM
bh87

What I drive: 2014 J150 1UR-FE
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Lately I have been buying Lina's Medium Roast Colombian Supremo and also tried their medium roast Espresso Blend (From Lina's Italian Market on Center Street North). Both are low acid, smooth and rich with an above average Crema (thick, full and doesnt dissolve quickly) on espresso's.

They are both at least as high quality as Phil and Sebastian (and cost less), just wish they would add the roast date to their packaging.

If I had to guess, I would say they likely source from Fratello but it doesn't say anywhere on the packaging and the staff was unsure when I asked. If anyone on here knows where they source from I would be interested to know!

My favorite beans are still High altitude grown Panamanian Caturra variety, but they are pricey beans and aren't available to purchase for all that long.

Old Post 03-28-2017 04:42 PM
bh87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bh87 Click here to Send bh87 a Private Message Find more posts by bh87 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:21 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: