Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > % of income on mortgage payment and % of income on total housing costs?

Author
Thread
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah

Yeah, home value should be 2x your income for a 'safe' bet. Any higher and you're not floating well.

lol that's very conservative no? but agreed that's very safe.

make $100k, live in a $200k condo? or am I missing something?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2017 11:29 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

88CRX

What I drive: EP3, S2K & TLX
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah

Yeah, home value should be 2x your income for a 'safe' bet. Any higher and you're not floating well.

Except that doesn’t account for a larger down payment (say >20%).

And I don’t think 2x is remotely reasonable in Calgary. As posted above “Median household income is around $98K (before the crash)”. 2x that doesn’t even put you at $200k (which is a 1 bedroom condo in the burbs). I’d say 3-5x salary is more reasonable assuming you've saved up a decent down payment OR dont have other consumer debt.

Old Post 05-15-2017 11:30 PM
88CRX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 88CRX Click here to Send 88CRX a Private Message Find more posts by 88CRX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tirebob
Forum Sponsor

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (33)

quote:

I would have to calculate all relevant costs exactly, but I am between 25% to 30% at most including Mortgage, taxes, and utilities plus average upkeep expenditures.

Old Post 05-15-2017 11:33 PM
tirebob is online now Click Here to See the Profile for tirebob Click here to Send tirebob a Private Message Find more posts by tirebob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FixedGear
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I'm at 24% of my net (after taxes plus 20% direct to investments) - so I'm actually less than 24%. I can only do it cause I'm single w no kids and try to live frugally.

Edit: after that, most of my net goes into savings and investments too, I'm able to save most of my earnings fortunately.

Last edited by FixedGear on 05-16-2017 at 01:35 AM

Old Post 05-16-2017 01:32 AM
FixedGear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FixedGear Click here to Send FixedGear a Private Message Find more posts by FixedGear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
colinderksen
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Mortgage+property tax+ house insurance+ utilities/net pay=28%
Plus 75,000/month investments+ 38,000/month high interest savings + max out resp+ max out rrsp+just in case 10,000 in case furnace, hot water tank, ac, panel all crap out+$300 in case water bed bursts

2003 GMC SLE 1500HD Donkey Hauler
2013 Ram Longhorn w/ a 6" lift and 35s
2017 Nissan Maxima

Last edited by colinderksen on 05-16-2017 at 05:34 AM

Old Post 05-16-2017 05:26 AM
colinderksen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for colinderksen Click here to Send colinderksen a Private Message Find more posts by colinderksen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

2.5 to 3x if as others mentioned, no other consumer debt or large down.

Accomplishing either is uncommon; both are rare.

Life is sweet at 2x so time for me to hustle.

And anyone can afford anything at dual income. You'd be way over your head if you buy too high.

Old Post 05-16-2017 05:30 AM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timdog

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

i know people that are Dual Income No Kids, with over $100k salary each, and they are in crippling debt and living paycheck to paycheck.
sort of a tangential point, but jesus christ how do you allow that to happen?? these people i know probably only spend 20% of their income on mortgage too. so it's more about how you spend in other areas. and how much you are saving to cover your ass in emergencies.

Old Post 05-16-2017 08:59 PM
timdog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timdog Click here to Send timdog a Private Message Find more posts by timdog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10
Posts/Day: 0.17

quote:

I have no mortgage so 0%, and prop taxes, ins, and utilities is probably around 5% of net or so.

I live in a very average house compared to our household income though which is why it is so low. 12 years in the same place! I don't have a single other friend that has stayed that long without upgrading. lol

Old Post 05-17-2017 11:31 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Single guy, townhome, originally put 20% down. 55.1% of net earnings going towards mortgage and 62.8% of net earnings towards total housing costs currently. I also put 19.6% of my net earnings into savings or RRSP.

Old Post 05-18-2017 01:40 AM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kloubek
Fourth Gear

What I drive: A vehicle or two
Posts/Day: 1.14
Trader Rating: (35)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Single guy, townhome, originally put 20% down. 55.1% of net earnings going towards mortgage and 62.8% of net earnings towards total housing costs currently. I also put 19.6% of my net earnings into savings or RRSP.

Good lord man... how do you live? You gotta be an Ichiban kinda guy.

As far as Timdogs comments, that couple he mentioms has the opposite issue..... They have a spending problem and living far outside their means.

Personally I try to avoid any debt realistically possible. Had a car payment 20 years ago, then that was it. Can't stand paying avoidable interest.

Originally posted by A790 10/10, would let Jeff in my mouth again.

Old Post 05-18-2017 04:12 AM
Kloubek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kloubek Click here to Send Kloubek a Private Message Find more posts by Kloubek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FixedGear
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

^see that's the thing though, food costs more or less the same regardless of your income. That's why low income folks must spend a large proportion if their income in food, while high income folks can get by spending far less. If you $400k/year, you could live quite comfortably off 10-20% and save the rest.

Old Post 05-18-2017 01:01 PM
FixedGear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FixedGear Click here to Send FixedGear a Private Message Find more posts by FixedGear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

You can eat healthy for cheap. The key is not being picky, eating the same thing for a while, and cooking stews.

Old Post 05-18-2017 01:05 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Originally posted by Kloubek

Good lord man... how do you live? You gotta be an Ichiban kinda guy.

As far as Timdogs comments, that couple he mentioms has the opposite issue..... They have a spending problem and living far outside their means.

Personally I try to avoid any debt realistically possible. Had a car payment 20 years ago, then that was it. Can't stand paying avoidable interest.

I basically have no life outside my job and car stuff. I work 10-12 hours a day on average then I come home and go to bed. On the weekends I go to Ice Dice/Autoslalom/Car Shows or I tend to find a nice spot and sit in my car, listen to music and read.

Old Post 05-18-2017 02:47 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swak
Second Gear

What I drive: FERD ST & Bikes
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

I'm just under 45% (mortgage, condo fees and all home expenses), bought a place with a close friend downtown edmonton.

I have student debt, car payment and other debt that messes with me aside from that a little bit. But i get by, and eat out and go out more than i know i should.

Old Post 05-20-2017 04:22 PM
swak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swak Click here to Send swak a Private Message Find more posts by swak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Imho I think it has to be a sliding scale, most day to day expenses are fixed for most people and even to an extent (assuming you're only getting a better location and finishes for your increased cost vs bigger home) supporting home expenses are fixed

So as far as a mortgage goes, if you make over a certain threshold you can afford to increase % of income

I'd put that number around $120k household income, well in this city

Also comes down to lifestyle, people all choose different ways to spend their time... is your vacation a one week 4 star Mexico all inclusive? Or a $10k+ euro adventure? Or just camping and hiking around town?

Do you eat out? Or prefer eating at home?

Or do you want to retire at 35?

Old Post 05-20-2017 04:51 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muse017
First Gear

What I drive: 13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Total housing cost is about 17% of household income
40% down payment on townhouse and accelerated mortgage payment(Weekly + 10%)
Pretty comfortable living plus 2 vacations per year and such.

Old Post 05-20-2017 09:42 PM
muse017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muse017 Click here to Send muse017 a Private Message Find more posts by muse017 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:24 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > % of income on mortgage payment and % of income on total housing costs?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: