Quantcast
20-something + Retirement = What? - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 20-something + Retirement = What?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I should also add that I get laid more than many married men I know.

Originally posted by davidI
    I'd actually love to meet a girl from another Country as it would provide additional options for work and retirement. Marry a hot Spaniard and work 15 years in Canada making bank, while paying off an amazing property in Spain that is under-priced from the recession. Or, go work elsewhere in the EU and do the same thing.
    Good luck convincing her to move to Calgary (aka. "the city with no summer") for 15 years from Spain.

A buddy of mine married a Czech girl he met while he was out there for 6 months. She had no problem moving to Canada at first. Then they had kids and she is now going back with the kids for 3-6 month stints because she is homesick and he is stuck back here working and paying the bills.

He also can't move out there because the job market in the EU are abysmal he and isn't fluent enough in Czech to compete with the locals. So it really isn't an option for him the other way.

This discussion is really about people who would rather be single their entire life and do whatever they want or be happily married and spend their lives with someone else and share memories/experiences together.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

if i pay my house off at 47, can someone please shoot me? (*my primary, not rentals)

nm

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by e36bmw///
    I just used 25 years as an example
    then you have completely missed the point of buying a house young

nm

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So you're telling me if you buy a house 2-3 years earlier, you're gonna payback the house in 10-15 years?
    its a bit more than 2-3 years, more like 22yr/old vs 28-30yr/old and yes thats the plan

I should also add that I get laid more than many married men I know.
    after reading this thread i've come the conclusion that you have a massive head

My Ride
    Bicycle

Seems that everyone has "a friend" that bought a house in their 20s and is doing well now..... Considering they bought their $180-200k house back in 2002, which is worth about $380-400k today. No shit, who wouldnt do well? Their timing was perfect.

Problem is that people are planning on buying a house now, which will cost $330-360 for a decent house. Thats a big difference. On average, thats about 6 times a persons salary.
    It's really what you are after. I think the key for home ownership is how insistent are you and you mate are planning to have kids.

Once the young'uns are starting to pop out and you have not started home ownership, it would be a tough start for you. I see couples do fine til retirement with odd jobs and adventures when they are dead set against having kids. But there are many more that eventually have kids to keep the relationship alive. But in the end, No kids, no worries.

Hindsight is 20/20 and there will always be people on both side of arguments that RE will cost more or less in the future. People who bought before 2003 are winning and people who bought since 2007 are all losing.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-30-2012 at 09:48 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm really happy that this thread is heavily discussed.

It's giving me both sides of the coin on what to expect over the future.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Dumbass17

after reading this thread i've come the conclusion that you have a massive head
    Haha, I know I come across as a cocky dick on here. I'm not this bad in real life, I swear!

I'm just trying to exaggerate the point that you can do anything you want to do. Cliche, I know, but it's possible. I could pay off my 1800 sq. foot house in the inner city of Calgary tomorrow and I just turned 28. I don't come from a wealthy family and received no money from my parents, although they did cover half of my University tuition and let me live at home. By working my ass off in the summers (350+ hours/month) on a construction job, I managed to graduate debt free.

I don't care about that the house as it doesn't make me happy. If all you care about is material possessions then you should structure your life accordingly. People will always respond to this that they don't care about material possessions, but then put every effort into working for that house and car and weekend at the bar while justifying it with their 3 weeks of annual leave. They'll sit at the office anxiously waiting for their holidays and spend their time on holiday fearing the return of work (generalization, I know, as some people truly love their jobs) while saying that they'd love to just 'take a year off' but 'can't' because of _____, ______, and ______.

My advice is directed to the OP, not every person on beyond. Traveling young and having that lifestyle isn't for everyone. A lot of people don't like 'real' travel and would rather do the cookie cutter package tour deals. Makes no difference to me what they do, it's whatever makes them happy.

At the end of the day, I know lots of people who said they want the things Flipstah said he wanted and those who went and traveled have no regrets, and those who bought a house or settled young regret not traveling. That's the only reason I put these arguments forth so strongly. It seems like he's got a great plan in place, and he can switch it up over time as his wants and desires change.

People always come up for excuses to not go travel young. If travel is actually what you want to do, then just go do it. If you want to get 3-5 years work experience first then fine, but set a deadline for yourself and follow it. Once you have a job there is always another carrot to keep you strung along...a raise, promotion, whatever....

Two pictures I think are relevant to this thread:

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by sputnik

Good luck convincing her to move to Calgary (aka. "the city with no summer&quot for 15 years from Spain.
    Just re-read this and thought it was funny. If you think it's too shitty of a place for foreigners to ever want to live, how do you justify living there?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

This discussion is really about people who would rather be single their entire life and do whatever they want or be happily married and spend their lives with someone else and share memories/experiences together.
    Actually, I don't think that's what the discussion is about.

I'm happy single now. That doesn't mean I'll be forever alone. If I meet a girl who makes me a better person then I'm game to go with it. I'm not going to force it. You can get married in later years...once you know more about what you want in life and meet someone who share those goals.

Most of my divorced buddies got divorced because them and their wives realized they wanted different things. Nothing wrong with that, I'd just prefer to make that realization before putting a ring on it and combining lives.

Whenever I get on the Scotch with the old boys at my work camp a lot of them admit that they don't actually love their wives but that 'it was the right time to get married'. I don't get that. I wouldn't say any of them are miserable, and I wouldn't say that any of them are happy, but I will say that they all tell me they envy the things I'm doing and regret having not taken advantage of the oppotunity to travel more.

Just re-read this and thought it was funny. If you think it's too shitty of a place for foreigners to ever want to live, how do you justify living there?
    I left Calgary over 2 years ago.

Calgary was a great place to jump start my career and make some money. I was lucky and met my wife there, but at the end of the day both of us wanted to live somewhere a little more laid back and relaxed. We both got tired of the rat race, the commute and the lack of people that feel the same.
    Last edited by sputnik; 05-01-2012 at 06:56 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I left Calgary over 2 years ago.

Calgary was a great place to jump start my career and make some money. I was lucky and met my wife there, but at the end of the day both of us wanted to live somewhere a little more laid back and relaxed. We both got tired of the rat race, the commute and the lack of people that feel the same.
    Exactly why meeting a girl who lives in a more appealing city sounds good to me.

Exactly why meeting a girl who lives in a more appealing city sounds good to me.
    It just gets complicated if you are unable to work in the country that she is from.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

It just gets complicated if you are unable to work in the country that she is from.
    Marriage = Residency = Work Permit.

It can take a year or two to arrange, but it's certainly possible. I used to work with numerous guys who have done it. Many now live and work in Australia, Spain, Switzerland, Poland and Norway. There are many more who moved with their spouse for expat positions in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Namibia and Madegascar. The opportunities are out there. They're not always easy to land, but as I said before, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Marriage = Residency = Work Permit.

It can take a year or two to arrange, but it's certainly possible. I used to work with numerous guys who have done it. Many now live and work in Australia, Spain, Switzerland, Poland and Norway. There are many more who moved with their spouse for expat positions in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Namibia and Madegascar. The opportunities are out there. They're not always easy to land, but as I said before, anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
    In most cases it also takes a year or two to get married. It leaves you in a position where living common-law is not an option either.

A friend from Calgary married a guy from California a few years ago and it took her almost 3 years before she was legally able to work in the US.

I am not saying it is impossible, but it is certainly a complicated scenario.

I love this thread.
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast