Quantcast
2010/11 UC Engg - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/11 UC Engg

^

Because U of C sucks dick and likes to make you waste money/time learning shit you'll never use

Just like the Ochem mechanical has to take...

Originally posted by colinxx235
    ^

Because U of C sucks dick and likes to make you waste money/time learning shit you'll never use

If you just wanted to learn stuff you needed to do your job you should have gone to SAIT to be a technologist. The engineering programs throughout Canada are accredited by the same body and everyone has to teach roughly the same course material. Why you guys would think physics of all courses is "useless" in engineering is beyond me since frankly it's applicable to all engineering faculties.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by Little Dragon
    I hate physics so much.
    Why the hell are some departments required to take it again in 2nd year!
    ^

Second year physics as in Dynamics?

Yeah...man that's some stupid shit. Since when has an engineer ever had to know about how stuff moves? Angular acceleration? More like Angular idon'tgiveashit, amirite?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    E46

^ No, not Dynamics.
    Physics 369 as in geometric optics, Acoustics, waves, simple harmonic motion, etc.

I'm in Software engineering, when am I ever going to need to know the shear modulus of a torsion bar? I just want to learn more about coding rather than spend 10+ hours writing up a 45 page physics lab on the simple harmonic motion of a spring and the shear modulus of a torsion bar.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Why you guys would think physics of all courses is "useless" in engineering is beyond me since frankly it's applicable to all engineering faculties.
    Applicable to all, yet it's not required to be taken by all?
    Chemical I know for sure doesn't have to waste money on this physics course as a requirement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being exposed to various fields in the first year. It helps us to pick a career path we want to go into.
    But making us do it again in 2nd year after we know what we want just confuses me.
    Last edited by Little Dragon; 10-22-2011 at 02:53 PM.

TL

^ lol you guys probably don't know this course is. It's not dynamics, it's optics, acoustics & radiation. They try to teach us a million things barely related so nothing ever makes sense.
    Also, 20 pages to explain why my results were fucked up by that cheap ass piece of shit spring scale == waste of time.

BTW Little Dragon, will the midterm be up to wave speed or also include power & impedance? I'm getting conflicting answers from my friends.

My Ride
    Silverado

Lol. I liked that course. Lab reports were ghey though. I figured u of c made mechies take OChem because most of us end up in o & g.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

^ No, not Dynamics.
    Physics 369 as in geometric optics, Acoustics, waves, simple harmonic motion, etc.

I'm in Software engineering, when am I ever going to need to know the shear modulus of a torsion bar? I just want to learn more about coding rather than spend 10+ hours writing up a 45 page physics lab on the simple harmonic motion of a spring and the shear modulus of a torsion bar.
    2nd year is still going to be pretty general. You won't get more in-depth until 3rd year.

The material itself is not bad at all, I actually find the things about waves to be pretty interesting. It's just that I find the whole course in general is just disorganized, but oh well.
    One good thing tho is the prof Dr. Knudsen. We had Biel instead for one lecture... more than half the people left the class midway through the lecture.

BTW, anyone ever had Pieper for 337? Watching him fail everytime with mathematica and excel is so sad and pathetic, that it's almost funny now.
    Last edited by WithTheLightsOn; 10-22-2011 at 06:22 PM.

^ No, not Dynamics.

Right because knowing how the hell your computer actually works is useless? I mean why would you want to know about things such as Acoustics, Optics and Radiation?

Applicable to all, yet it's not required to be taken by all?
    Chemical I know for sure doesn't have to waste money on this physics course as a requirement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being exposed to various fields in the first year. It helps us to pick a career path we want to go into.
    But making us do it again in 2nd year after we know what we want just confuses me.
    Again let me spell it out for you the curiculum is set forth by the accreditation board for engineers which is national. Chemical engineering doesn't pick which classes they are teaching and neither does electrical engineering.

Please refer to http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/pr_accreditation.cfm

It's not random the courses they are choosing to teach you and frankly I trust the board to determine what people should learn far more than a bunch of kids who have never done real engineering.

If you guys want to just learn how to be code monkeys or technologist then you are in the wrong place. Please drop out of university and attend SAIT/Devry/ITT.

My Ride
    E46

haha yes I know I should probably learn it. You are right.
    I was just letting off some steam from all this physics

TL

My Ride

Yeah, then once you're done University, you can decided whether or not some courses at SAIT might be applicable/useful to you and then you should take those.

I know a lot of people at work who are engineers and have taken useful courses at SAIT afterwards.

Lol nice face palm Darren, he said physics... glad to see you even knew what course we were referring to...

Oh sweet, a curriculum is set, so that must mean it is super useful.

I find myself doing optic calculations, and using intro Ochem all the time!!

Just like how a chemical engineer has to do mechanics of solids? lol

Co-worker of mine did chemical @ western and we were comparing curriculum between U of C.

Chem there did not have to do mechanic of materials. Mechanical didn't do Ochem, among a few other differences.

Why some zoo specialties take Vector Calculus and Mechanical doesn't also doesn't make sense.

Too many reasons I didn't go to SAIT @mazda. But I'm way too sick of the SAIT vs UNI pissing threads to even bother.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Lol nice face palm Darren, he said physics... glad to see you even knew what course we were referring to...

Oh sweet, a curriculum is set, so that must mean it is super useful.

I find myself doing optic calculations, and using intro Ochem all the time!!

Just like how a chemical engineer has to do mechanics of solids? lol

Co-worker of mine did chemical @ western and we were comparing curriculum between U of C.

Chem there did not have to do mechanic of materials. Mechanical didn't do Ochem, among a few other differences.

Why some zoo specialties take Vector Calculus and Mechanical doesn't also doesn't make sense.

Too many reasons I didn't go to SAIT @mazda. But I'm way too sick of the SAIT vs UNI pissing threads to even bother.
    Sparkies would use vector calculus when it comes to electromagnetic waves n' propagation

Mechies would take vector calculus for crazy ass dynamical systems I would imagine.

My Ride
    TL

ah i forgot how much people complain in engg. i can't wait for that next year

My Ride
    E46 M3

Anybody have a road map for ENCM 339?
    Spent way too much time trying to figure this out and now I barely have enough time to study for midterms. I don't want to spend any more time trying to figure out why I keep getting segmentation faults...

If you do, I can pay some decent coin for it. Sooner the better, lab is due wednesday!

Default geography 213

anyone have exams from slezak geog 213?

willing to pay

thanks

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

final exam schedule posted bitches

My Ride
    E46

I'm surprised how well that ENGG 319 exam went...although there were about 4-5 that were hard, the rest were pretty straight forward.

TL

My Ride

Anyone going to the last luncheon for 2011 tomorrow?

Rosehart talking about Renewable Energy, and other crap like that.

Haven't seen the guy since my grad and probably won't ever again after tomorrow so would be a nice thing to go to.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 12-15-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Anyone have exam solutions and other material for ENGG 201 and 209?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast