Thread: 2010/11 UC Engg

Any word of advice for these courses:

ENGG407
    ENGG513
    ENGG311

My Ride
    E46 M3

Originally posted by jeffy
    Anyone have exam solutions and other material for ENGG 201 and 209?
    I might have some for ENGG 201.
    PM me your email.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by urban_chic
    Any word of advice for these courses:

ENGG407
    ENGG513
    ENGG311
    407. do the assignments. hopefully you have some previous matlab experience

311. practice, try to ride the curve. my midterm average was 30%. if you can do well on it, you're sitting pretty. If i remember the labs were a PITA, look for roadmaps.

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

any mechies in here have some vibrations roadmaps?

that class is freaking me out...park is gonna make it tough!
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

Question for you guys, but specifically ME and EE: how many programming classes do you need to take at U of Calgary?

^

every first year has to take c++

2nd year ME you take a matlab/excel course, then numerical methods which also requires some programming

3rd year you take ENME473 which requires you to learn mathematica.

then controls/vibes requires matlab knowledge

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by pyroza
    Question for you guys, but specifically ME and EE: how many programming classes do you need to take at U of Calgary?
    Originally posted by colinxx235 ^ every first year has to take c++ 2nd year ME you take a matlab/excel course, then numerical methods which also requires some programming 3rd year you take ENME473 which requires you to learn mathematica. then controls/vibes requires matlab knowledge
    For EE specifically (for my courses) we took C++ as noted in first year, then C in second year, as well as an assembly language course (low level machine language). Third year also included some logic language programming for field programmable gate arrays...

Matlab was used extensively in Numerical Methods in 3rd year, and also for Control Systems in 3rd year. Depending on your electives for 4th year your application of programming will vary (i.e. if you take the second Controls course you'll be in Matlab, Digital Filters, etc)

oh man reading this thread makes me want to throw up. So thankful that I am done and all of this shit is literally completely irrelevant at my job.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by arian_ma
    oh man reading this thread makes me want to throw up. So thankful that I am done and all of this shit is literally completely irrelevant at my job.

For those who have taken it, is CHEM 357 a tough course? It's organic chemistry for engineers.

I'm asking because I'm in it now and I haven't done shit in the class so far except learning the nomenclature. I missed 3 weeks of the course including the mid-term when I flew home after a death in the family. In my other courses I have an idea of how much work I'll have to do to catch up but for CHEM 357 I have no idea how fucked I am. So I'm wondering if you found it to be a tough course, how hard is it compared to, say, CHEM 209? I have a good 7 weeks to catch up before my final that's worth 75% (along with catching up in 3 other courses) How fucked am I?

Reason I want to know is because I'm only in first year ENGG so I don't need this course to get to second year. So if it's ridiculously hard, I'll just take the W now and GTFO rather than wasting time studying if I'm already too far behind to pull a decent mark.
    Last edited by GordonGekko; 03-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

My friend missed both midterms and relied heavily on the final, he made it through okay. I found it to be a harder than average course. Being in mech put me at a disadvantage compare the the chem and petro guys ( i think).

my advice would be to learn the nomenclature and fast, if you can't get that down you don't have a snowballs chance in hell.

haha whoops, didn't notice the edit. if you understand the nomenclature you can focus on the course material and learn it in time. good luck
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 03-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm in that class too right now. It's funny because during the lectures most things make sense and are easy to understand, but then when you have to put it all together it goes for me. At least it's all multiple choice with partial marks too, but still...

My advice would be to first start catching up in your first year classes that matter the most. If you feel you have time, definitely go for ochem as well. See if you can get a copy of the lecture notes filled in and study those along the slides. If you can do that and go through the book for parts you don't understand, you can catch pretty quickly. I had to do that before the midterm for one of the lecture sets I completely missed (we've covered 10 lecture sets so far), and it took me no more than 2 hours to get caught up. You can also go through some of the older midterms to see how you're doing.

Keep in mind that you can have until the last day of classes to withdraw, so there's no rush to figure out if you can do it. Of course, if you don't think you're ready enough for the final, make sure to drop the course. As much as it sucks to throw $500, it's better than fucking up your GPA and your chances of getting into your 2nd year program. You also might want to check with the undergrad office before dropping, just in case.

Good luck with everything!

My Ride

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn
    As much as it sucks to throw $500, it's better than fucking up your GPA and your chances of getting into your 2nd year program.
    Drop a course and you go into Priority 2.

My Ride

Really? I think that's only for the first year courses.

http://schulich.ucalgary.ca/programplacement

But yeah make sure to check with undergrad office to get the final word.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

^ Woah that last post was by me. I'm on my engg account, I guess my buddy must have forgot to log out haha.

My Ride

Originally posted by fcukda
    Really? I think that's only for the first year courses.

http://schulich.ucalgary.ca/programplacement

But yeah make sure to check with undergrad office to get the final word.
    ?? Obviously it's for first year courses, because you're trying to get into your desired department.

GordonGekko is in first year.

I quoted WithTheLightsOn, who was talking about getting into second year.

Ninja edit: lol then you already know it's only first first year of course :P

My Ride
    E46

Dropping is much better than an F. I had to drop a summer course, waste of $500 but my GPA didn't suffer as much.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone here is good in ENEL 327?
    I need some help going through these questions they assign, the solutions the professor posts don't help very much.

TL

Originally posted by Disoblige

?? Obviously it's for first year courses, because you're trying to get into your desired department.

GordonGekko is in first year.

I quoted WithTheLightsOn, who was talking about getting into second year.

Ninja edit: lol then you already know it's only first first year of course :P
    yeah but chem 357 is a second year course

My suggestion is just to get as many old Chem 357 midterms/finals as you can. Even without them its a pretty easy course to catch up on.

Assuming its still german guy, he was a big fan of repeating questions (feel free to correct me if this has changed in the last two years)

A course like Chem 357 is easy to catchup on mainly because its mostly memorization and reading. That course doesn't build on itself like other ones do. So if you miss some time, yes it sucks and you're behind. But at least you aren't missing key principles required to continue learning.

My Ride

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn

yeah but chem 357 is a second year course
    True, but why would someone take CHEM357 if they're still in first year with 10 full courses?

Either way, yes my bad. Since you're not taking a First Year core class, the only thing you'd have to lose is lowering your GPA, so taking the W would be best as already stated.

But if anyone if considering withdrawing from a First Year class, they should think over if it's better to get a W and potentially void their chances of getting into the department of their choice, or risk getting an F but still make the GPA cut-off to get into their desired department. I had a couple friends who took the W and didn't make it into their choice when they could have just failed the course, but still had a GPA high enough to get into their 1st choice department. They then had to retake the course in spring/summer anyways, W or F.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast