2010/11 UC Engg - Page 26 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26

Thread: 2010/11 UC Engg

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by sabad66

just be happy you're done and don't have to suffer any more
    True that!

And you're right. University is only as good as you make it out to be, and I already knew that. I had to make it enjoyable, U of C itself didn't really help with that much. It was more student vs. school than the school working with the student the majority of the time.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Originally posted by Disoblige

It was more student vs. school than the school working with the student the majority of the time.
    Felt the same way in some cases.... That undergrad office was the worst in terms of helping out haha

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by tha_bandit
    Felt the same way in some cases.... That undergrad office was the worst in terms of helping out haha
    I actually had some decent experiences at the undergrad office.

I hated the internship office so much more.
    She told me if I'm in it just for the money I should skip the school part and go be a plumber.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by jwslam

I hated the internship office so much more.
    She told me if I'm in it just for the money I should skip the school part and go be a plumber.
    LOL THAT IS HILARIOUS.
    You should have been like.. "I rather be a plumber than work in an internship office."

Since I have less than a decade to live, none of what you say really stings me (Many of the incidents described above are exaggerated, and some outright false.). The irrevocable finality of death renders all human endeavors seemingly futile. Death dissolves away human memories and experiences into oblivion, and tramples away the sacred and inviolable bonds that we once forged. Almost everything fades away in face of death, leaving only what is truly essential and enduring. It is this kernel of resistance that we call the human spirit. You cannot lead a passionate life until you viscerally understand your mortality.
    One day we will die, and this link to the world will be severed,the world within you will close, with the silent joys and triumphs contained within. You will left as a memory encoded within the mind of those you had an impact on, as an imprint copied unto a rougher mosaic
    I sincerely hope that this life exemplifies what we hold in our heart to be true.

Regards

Sanjay

My Ride
    Silverado

I remember the day I met Sanjay. I was in my second year, walking though ict with my friends. Sanjay stopped us in the hall and said he was really hungry and was wondering if any of us had any extra food. My buddy gave him an apple in one of rose clear produce bags. Sanjay took it and started swinging the bag and apple around his head and then smashed it into a wall.

Weird.

My name is Sanjay Biswas, a student with the faculty of engineering at the University of Calgary. I was involved in the review of the Non Academic misconduct policy ("NAMC"), which was initiated last year. These were the potential changes to the policy suggested last term, which I am summarizing below:

Natural Justice:

The right to legal representation for Major Violations. The current University of Calgary distinguishes between major violations and minor violations. Major violations can lead to potential suspension or expulsion from the University. The highest degrees of procedural fairness should apply to those facing the most severe penalties under the Post Secondary Act of Alberta,including right to legal representation.
    Further clarification of what constitutes an "advisor" and the role it plays. The current policy explicitly excludes an advisor from being the parents of the accused, or someone with a legal background. Rationale must be provided for why following persons are to be excluded. Specifically the phrase those "with a legal background" must be clarified. Does this include people who have training in law from another country but are not practicing lawyers in Alberta? Someone who is familiar in law can be an potential asset.
    The right to call witnesses and present evidence.
    The right to cross examine accusers.
    The right to disclosure of all pertinent information, such as a summary and/or a copy of the investigators report. The report should not be redacted arbitrarily, regardless of security or privacy reasons. If part of the report is blotted out, there must be clear and consistent policy on how it can be done.
    The inadmissibility of evidence which is obtained by hearsay.
    While recognizing that the same standards of procedural fairness cannot apply in an administrative tribunal, minimum standards of evidence and procedure needs to be set to prevent potential abuse of the system.

2. Appeals Board Composition:

The Student Discipline Appeals Board is currently composed of the Vice provost acting as chair,a member from the Provost's office, and students and academics selected by the Vice Provost office. Thus, the appeals board lacks any independence. In the future the students should be selected from a list provided by the Student Union, and the academics should include members familiar in the area of administrative law.

3. Free Speech :

Nothing in the Non Academic policy shall contain anything that abrogates on the free speech rights as articulated in Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. In Keith Pridgen vs University of Calgary Madame Justice Strekaf ruled that the University is not a "Charter Free Zone". Specifically Sections 4.9b and section 4.10m of the current NAMC needs to be modified to be consonant with the new ruling.
    Although the Pridgen case specifically dealt with Free speech rights, the broader implication of the ruling implies that the University Policies should comply with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom in general. This includes freedom from arbitrary search and seizure by Campus Security, and other rights articulated in the Charter.

4. Miscellaneous:

Section 4.40 of the NAMC mentions that "Students may appeal a decision made pursuant to this policy in writing within five (5) working days of receiving a decision." This timeline does not give students adequate time to prepare a defence, this can be quite intimidating for those unfamiliar with the administrative machinery of the University.

I look forward to working with the drafting committee until the new Non Academic policy has been finalized. Please consult with your legal department for further clarifications.

Sincerely.

Sanjay Biswas

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26