Quantcast
Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread - Page 41 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread

My Ride
    Skateboard

I also bought my R from Ryan. What dealer is preferred for servicing in Calgary?

My Ride
    golfR

Originally posted by G
    I also bought my R from Ryan. What dealer is preferred for servicing in Calgary?
    So far I've had good experiences with 5th Ave. Been going to them since 2013.

Heard good stories from Tunedub as well.

My Ride
    06 S2000

+1 for 5th ave. Stay away from Northland (even if it is only minutes away).
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    NC1

don't think I have heard anything good out of the Northland service department all these years since I have owned a VW (since 09).

South Centre or 5th ave for me
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

What's the deal with Northland? Shoddy service? Overcharging? Ideally it's the most convenient location for me but it seems like everyone says to avoid them.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sales side, wouldn't move on pricing at all when I was GTI shopping. They had a car with options I wanted, except for one (rear airbags IIRC) which I didn't want, asked to discount that off, something like $300, nope. Said it's an important safety feature and I'd be silly to not get it optioned with it.

Bitched about it to a friend, who knew someone at Southcenter. They called me up and drove a GTI with my exact specs to my office for me to see. Even gave me a hefty discount. Bought it on the spot. Pricing/discount details inside:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=212211

Service? Well...

OK, here's my story.

Jan 2009, my GTI started to make a clunking noise once in a while when turning. Classic CV joint failure noise. I assumed it was from the cold weather. Shortly after, it developed a really random hard vibration (whole car shook) from the CV so I brought it in to Northland Volkswagen Jan 20, 2009 because it was close to my house. Figured it was a warranty repair.

They called me in the afternoon and diagnosed the problem as my aftermarket springs and shocks. And, they charged me for it since it's aftermarket and not covered under warranty. I asked them if they even looked at the CV joints. They claim that they checked the CV joint and it was perfectly fine. Here's my bill.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The noise continued and 2 weeks/600km later, the vibration all of a sudden got REALLY bad on Feb 3rd 2009. So I dropped it off at Southcenter Fine cars, where I purchased the car. It's far from my house, but whatever.

2002civic was a service advisor there, and took good care of me. Got me in without an appointment. 2 days later on Feb 5th 2009, the car was fixed under warranty. Sure enough, the CV boot finally ripped, leaked the rest of the grease out, and killed the CV joint, causing massive vibrations. Here's my under warranty bill, along with the description.

click for larger version

click for larger version

So, 2 more weeks went by, the car was perfect. It was the damn CV joint, confirmed. So I'm pissed off at Northland VW and called on Feb 25th 2009 to get a refund. It's not about the money, it's the fact that I felt like I got ripped off. They were super nice about it. BTW - I bleeped out my name and phone number, so I don't get stalked haha.

So after that call, I never got a call back. So I called back the next day asking about it, and sure enough, they're refunding me. Watch for the check in the mail. Sweet, right?

Well, I totally forgot about it until someone posted this thread. I realized that it's been over a year, I didn't get my damn refund.

Never again am I going to Northland Volkswagen again. In my opinion, they're completely useless, or they're scammers.

Oh yea, 2 months later, they sent me this:

click for larger version

Suffice to say, that ain't happening. I just left it on my desk and was lucky to find it for this post.
    Thread is here: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=306697

I just posted about it after zipdoa bitched about his service experience. Funny that I went to them because they were close too haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Ha ha ha. That's messed up. They flat out decided they didn't want to work on your car because of the aftermarket suspension and had the balls to charge you $118 for putting the car up on the hoist. I assume they said the CV boot was fine just to get you out of there because if they actually checked it they would know it was ripped. I think it's going to be 5th Ave for me seeing it's close enough to work. I don't have the temperament to deal with that shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea they said it wasn't the CV and that the noise was coming from aftermarket springs. Never knew springs could click like CV joints haha.

So either they're completely incompetent, or they just didn't want to work on the car and blamed the first aftermarket thing they could find, charge some cash, and be done with it. Either way, shady.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yea they said it wasn't the CV and that the noise was coming from aftermarket springs. Never knew springs could click like CV joints haha.

So either they're completely incompetent, or they just didn't want to work on the car and blamed the first aftermarket thing they could find, charge some cash, and be done with it. Either way, shady.
    This reminds me of when I took the Lexus to autotemp for the a/c to get refilled with the stuff they use to check for leaks... wasted my whole day and said they couldn't do it cause my car wasn't compatible with their lift cause factory air (and yes, I set everything to oem before I dropped it off)

Best believe I didn't give them a dime for that nonsense though

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

If you must go to a Calgary VW dealer, go to 5th and see Pat (service advisor)
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

I just took my R in for its first service at the Southland location, I was pretty happy with everything
    Booked me in quick, my service guy also owned a R so was super stoked on chatting about it and asking how I liked the car etc, they completed the appointment fast and car was cleaned good to go

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Speaking of service does anyone have a copy of the service schedule for these cars? I don't want to wait until the service message comes up on the dash as I think a 15K service interval is way too long.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

I have a note on my file to treat me with extra care & attention at the service dept at Northland.
    This was after I got into a yelling match with the service manager after having my sunroof rails break for the 5th time and it not being fixed correctly. They broke the rails when they did the PDI on my Jetta when I bought it (was told this by one advisor).

I've only ever serviced at SCFC or 5th Ave after that. 5th Ave has exclusively done my GTI.

I don't even know how northland is still in business.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Speaking of service does anyone have a copy of the service schedule for these cars? I don't want to wait until the service message comes up on the dash as I think a 15K service interval is way too long.
    Why not?

I took my GTI in at 12k, because it'd been a year. I hadn't even hit the 15k required.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Why not?

I took my GTI in at 12k, because it'd been a year. I hadn't even hit the 15k required.
    It's just personal preference I don't feel comfortable waiting to 15,000km. I did the first oil change at 1000km right after completing the break-in period and will probably change the oil at 7500-10,000km intervals going forward. Really I just want to know what the other services are i.e. DSG fluid and when the manufacturer recommends doing them.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by 94boosted

It's just personal preference I don't feel comfortable waiting to 15,000km. I did the first oil change at 1000km right after completing the break-in period and will probably change the oil at 7500-10,000km intervals going forward. Really I just want to know what the other services are i.e. DSG fluid and when the manufacturer recommends doing them.
    I thought VW 2.0t needs a hard break-in right off the lot for best hp and lowest oil consumption.

My Ride
    G37X

Is it normal for Golf R's to sound like excited vacuum cleaners under throttle with stock intake/exhaust? Can't even hear the engine..same as my brother's MK7 GTI.

He's debating intake/exhaust for his GTI. I recommended Borla. He wants this stupid expensive carbon fibre intake that about $600 USD though

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:29 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Pretty much, modern hatches are all using tiny little engines strapped with massive turbos

I've heard what my car sounds like on the outside under heavy load... just like this:
    Whhhhooooooossshhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaapppppaaaaaahhhhhherrrrrrooooowwwwwwwwwww

Inside the car though, they pipe in sweet engine sounds
    I miss Neon SRT-4's. Now that's how you make a 4 cyl sound mean. But those were also 2.4 L with no mufflers.

Yeah it sounds OK inside. But knowing that it's a sympozer annoys me.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Is it normal for Golf R's to sound like excited vacuum cleaners under throttle with stock intake/exhaust? Can't even hear the engine..same as my brother's MK7 GTI.

He's debating intake/exhaust for his GTI. I recommended Borla. He wants this stupid expensive carbon fibre intake that about $600 USD though
    That is the normal sound from the outside pretty much. Inside sounds like a Audi 5 cylinder.

If he does any mods like intake/exhaust they dont do anything for power without a tune. Downpipe/drop in filter/tune is the best combo for HP/$. CF intake's only look pretty and do little for power IMO.

Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast