Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > 2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency

Author
Thread
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Finding a fun car with a sub-$400 lease payment though is a challenge.

Fiesta ST

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2017 03:31 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Redlyne_mr2
Chatroom Manwhore

What I drive: 400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans
Posts/Day: 2.06
Trader Rating: (26)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

Fiesta ST

Or GTI

Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Old Post 01-18-2017 04:21 PM
Redlyne_mr2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlyne_mr2 Click here to Send Redlyne_mr2 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlyne_mr2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpomp
STi Killer

What I drive: 2015 Fiesta ST, 2016 GTI
Posts/Day: 0.90
Trader Rating: (58)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Or GTI

Yup

Originally posted by scat19
I don't care if that wing is a jspoon or whatever it's huge and gross.

Originally posted by slinkie
its a honda not a zonda

Old Post 01-18-2017 04:27 PM
gpomp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpomp Click here to Send gpomp a Private Message Visit gpomp's homepage! Find more posts by gpomp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Fiesta ST

I just looked at Car & Driver but is it true that with 197 HP that tiny little car still needs 7 seconds 0-60? How is it that slow?

I had also looked at the Focus ST but the online calculators had it over $400/mo if I recall.

Really trying to stay closer to $300/mo side which is looking to be very difficult.

Old Post 01-18-2017 04:59 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

quote:

Really trying to stay closer to $300/mo side which is looking to be very difficult.

That's $100 drop will not get you anything fun.

There is no way you can get decent turbo for that price. All you get will be pedestrian 1.4/1.5L turbos or <2L NA.

Also I think someone is trying to sell a low mileage Fiesta ST in market place too for < $20K.

Old Post 01-18-2017 05:11 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

That's $100 drop will not get you anything fun.

There is no way you can get decent turbo for that price. All you get will be pedestrian 1.4/1.5L turbos or &lt;2L NA.

Also I think someone is trying to sell a low mileage Fiesta ST in market place too for &lt; $20K.

The problem is the well known $299/mo Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD 8AT deal that is currently not available. If it was still going, I would have already signed the papers. Knowing that was available and might again sometime in the future ruins absolutely everything haha. The car is not worth anywhere near its $50K window sticker, but it's obviously vastly preferable to the econo-boxes which cost the same amount. Because of that deal, everything else seems like a rip-off and I can't get my head around it haha.

The sweet spot for most other cars seem to be $400/mo but that is more than I'm willing to spend on a car payment right now.

Old Post 01-18-2017 05:22 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pheoxs
First Gear

What I drive: Fiesta ST
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I just looked at Car & Driver but is it true that with 197 HP that tiny little car still needs 7 seconds 0-60? How is it that slow?

I had also looked at the Focus ST but the online calculators had it over $400/mo if I recall.

Front wheel drive + turbo = hard to get grip and to launch. Even second gear when full boost hits I generally lose traction. Keep in mind the fiesta is incredible light (2700lbs) so its very nimble in the corners and playing around but low speed it doesn't have much weight to catch grip.

Also with the gearing IIRC I have to shift into 3rd right about 85-90km, so that adds more time to get up to 100.

Old Post 01-18-2017 06:04 PM
pheoxs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pheoxs Click here to Send pheoxs a Private Message Find more posts by pheoxs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by pheoxs

Front wheel drive + turbo = hard to get grip and to launch. Even second gear when full boost hits I generally lose traction. Keep in mind the fiesta is incredible light (2700lbs) so its very nimble in the corners and playing around but low speed it doesn't have much weight to catch grip.

Also with the gearing IIRC I have to shift into 3rd right about 85-90km, so that adds more time to get up to 100.

Yeah that 3rd shift is probably what kills it the most. Even a Civic with the boring CVT , 200+ extra pounds, and 174hp is faster. The Fiest ST is probably more fun to throw around though.

Old Post 01-18-2017 06:50 PM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.09
User Rating: 155%

quote:

The slow 0-60 for the Fiesta is mostly due to traction limits and gearing. When you launch, even if you can somehow hook up with good tires and no spin, the entire rev range of 1st gear is over in literally 1 second and you have to shift.

It isn't built to be a drag car at all, and I think people that buy it to race from light to light are going to be disappointing with it.

Once you get to speed, really any speed, it is pretty amazing. Most people I have let drive my car actually start laughing out loud when they stomp the gas in 2nd or 3rd because it pulls unexpectedly hard. It has a wicked chassis, superb OE brakes, and physics defying handling for a FWD.

I even heard Reijo say it was the best handling FWD car he has ever driven a number of times

I have noticed quite a few people selling theirs only a year or two in, so it isn't for everybody. GTSJeff is getting rid of his with very low mileage, I was going to ask him why whenever he actually gets it sold.

Originally posted by pheoxs

Yeah, right around 100km/h somewhere you hit the rev limiter

Originally posted by jwslam
Not sure I would trust the insane amounts of pressure required, especially in a first gen model.

There'd be so much more integrity required in the components, most likely resulting in a heavier engine...

All I can think is the fuel pump will be prone to failure, and it is going to be obscenely expensive... like 5K+ just for the pump

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 01-18-2017 at 09:13 PM

Old Post 01-18-2017 09:01 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team_Mclaren

What I drive: F10M / GS450H
Posts/Day: 1.07
Trader Rating: (26)

quote:

The problem is the well known $299/mo Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD 8AT deal that is currently not available. If it was still going, I would have already signed the papers. Knowing that was available and might again sometime in the future ruins absolutely everything haha. The car is not worth anywhere near its $50K window sticker, but it's obviously vastly preferable to the econo-boxes which cost the same amount. Because of that deal, everything else seems like a rip-off and I can't get my head around it haha.

The sweet spot for most other cars seem to be $400/mo but that is more than I'm willing to spend on a car payment right now.

you want fun and mentioned ATS?

Old Post 01-18-2017 11:00 PM
Team_Mclaren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team_Mclaren Click here to Send Team_Mclaren a Private Message Find more posts by Team_Mclaren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Well it's definitely better than Mazda 3 and Civic in some regard.

And the fact is that it's a $55K car that dealer will sell it for $40K or lease it like a $30K car. Damn good bang for the bucks.

Old Post 01-18-2017 11:04 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

quote:

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Can you find me a brand new car with a better combination of power/fun and luxury for $299/mo lease, free maintenance & oil changes? I haven't been able to find one yet. It even had AWD.

As I said earlier, I think the ATS is a very underwhelming vehicle overall and not worth anywhere near it's $50K price tag. HOWEVER, comparing an ATS to a base model Civic with no options or some other $20K econo box that also costs $299/mo, it looks pretty damn good.

A base Civic DX with zero options and a manual transmission costs more money to lease than that.

A base Mazda 3 with zero options that only costs $17,000 after incentives is still $295/mo to least for 36 months - they don't even offer a 24 month option and if they did it would be over $300. The ATS deal is insane value.

Sadly the deal is not available right now or I would have already done it.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 01-18-2017 at 11:22 PM

Old Post 01-18-2017 11:11 PM
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam
Not sure I would trust the insane amounts of pressure required, especially in a first gen model.

There'd be so much more integrity required in the components, most likely resulting in a heavier engine...

Tier 4 diesel engines do >30,000 PSI in the fuel rail... Should be a solved problem so I don't know that I would worry overmuch on that front.

Old Post 01-18-2017 11:23 PM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darell_n
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.33
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Gasoline will also ignite at half of what diesel requires. Pressures shouldn't be an issue.

Old Post 01-19-2017 01:42 AM
Darell_n is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Darell_n Click here to Send Darell_n a Private Message Visit Darell_n's homepage! Find more posts by Darell_n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:32 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > 2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: