Quantcast
$50 oil, now what? - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 oil, now what?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

I can't believe we don't have demand-based pricing on electricity yet. All this shit about peak demand coming at inconvenient times could be largely mitigated if we could reduce these peaks by charging more for power at those times.

Remember that campaign about reducing your use during the "electricity rush hour"??? What a crock of shit. People aren't altruistic, or at least, most aren't. Why shouldn't I use energy when I want it if the power companies are too stupid to charge me more for it?

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    I can't believe we don't have demand-based pricing on electricity yet. All this shit about peak demand coming at inconvenient times could be largely mitigated if we could reduce these peaks by charging more for power at those times.

Remember that campaign about reducing your use during the "electricity rush hour"??? What a crock of shit. People aren't altruistic, or at least, most aren't. Why shouldn't I use energy when I want it if the power companies are too stupid to charge me more for it?
    You mean we dont have demand based pricing?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

You mean like what Ontario is doing and everyone is screaming murder?

I don't know what the answer is. I have seen waste when it is run by the government. In our current state, I see some waste too due to ineffective regulation from AESO.

And the whole NDP keep rate that 7c/kwh and also cancelling coal and going green, there isn't enough carbon tax to cover that short fall. Of course unless their end game is to make the whole grid a crown corp again.....
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-13-2017 at 04:26 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by A790

Well, there is mounting evidence that suggests the window of opportunity we have to enact change that influences our climate is quickly closing.

Of course, one also has to accept the evidence that suggests such change is needed.
    Actually, now that Obama is out of office, a lot of people are starting to come out (including from government organizations) that suggest "man-made" climate change is overblown and the models aren't accurately forecasting how man affects climate.

And the window already is closed, if based on SOME of the current science that a 2*C increase will happen by 2100 (or 2050, whichever) at current levels of C02 output. Nothing AT ALL has been done to decrease C02 emissions in the past decade, overall global C02 emissions have increased.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/1...ouse-gas-index

So I dunno. We might as well mitigate and prepare ourselves for living in a hotter climate (if it even happens, I am skeptical) versus wasting trillions of dollars trying to stop something that has already happened.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Actually, now that Obama is out of office, a lot of people are starting to come out (including from government organizations) that suggest "man-made" climate change is overblown and the models aren't accurately forecasting how man affects climate.
    Some may even say a lot more than climate change deniers have come out.

Anyhow, if my boss play golf, I'll at least learn right? And if my boss is a racist climate denier and would fire anyone who disagree, if I need my job, I'll at least change my view point?

Anyway, there is another thread for these.

Even if CO2 is a crock of shit, at least we find our kids some jobs and try to start a new industry? And if not, we can say we have done all we could if it's the end?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-13-2017 at 07:22 PM.

I wonder what happened to mr peak shave, and if he's been clued in to Albertas advantage.

She's falling fast now.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by Gestalt

And you are ignoring the giant difference in scale. Probably 10000x less needed since it lasts years and is recycled after.

And you are assuming lithium production is worse than tar sands, tailing Ponds, fresh water water, ground water contamination, fracturing, dilbit.
    It makes me cringe anytime someone mentions hydraulic fracturing and the claims to its negative environmental impact. Especially when its a reference to Canadian practices.

Also, it seems like you just took all of the O&G terms you know and strung them together. I am surprised you didn't mention earth quakes, or rig pigs - those are low hanging fruit for people like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ZenOps
    She's falling fast now.
    Yeah back on topic. Everybody seem to think $45 is where it'll hold this time. Some even predicting $30s again. OPEC cut back didn't hold. Everybody keep pumping.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/oil-...fits-1.4022409

I spoke with my contact, but for obvious reasons he couldn't and wouldn't speak on your real identity. I didnt call him because I wanted to know how your solar power hopes worked, as I said, I designed his zero day deployable seacan setups. I called him to see if you were as annoying in person as real life. Again even if I spoke on the conversation I cant verify it was you.

I then had a realization yesterday morning. I wake up every morning in comfort. I walk out to my garage where I choose between a couple german cars, soon to be several. I park at my office where I spend 8-10 hours a day doing something I care about. Brad would be proud, I haven't paid for lunch in years. This is a full douche brag ps. I don't have to eat from a gut truck or the discount bin at costco either. My wife makes a substantial living, if I wanted to retire today we would still travel 8 weeks a year halfway across the world.

All this in my life, while hot oil trickles off dirty pans onto your face, in yours. Finger nails stained with regret. I thank my lucky stars that I was blessed with a circumstance that let me be where I am. I could easily have been you.

It was somewhere around glenmore onto barlow that it hit me. Wasting time arguing with you is robbing me of the opportunity to interact with people willing to listen and able to educate me.

For the record, If you could see past your own ego you might actually have a good chance at making a point. But since you can't, you don't.

I am able to admit when I'm wrong, but in this case, numerous people have come to show me that I am not.
    Last edited by R154; 03-14-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Holy fuck this thread.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah pretty funny really.

Different thread, same people with the same responses. Repeat.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

This thread is surprisingly entertaining.

10/10

Would read again.

17% cheapies, 24% top of the line. Solar energy converted from a free energy source. The extra energy is not wasted, has no impact on the environment negatively. Making an efficiency argument stupid really. The only downside is you need more panels.

Ibut after 120 years of cars, we are only in the 35% range, remaining 65% does nothing but burn off into the atmosphere. I imagine you aren't holding out for a 75% efficient car before you jump on the driving around band wagon.

Bad news. A Tesla model S is 85%+ effieicnet. Lol

Understand the difference? No you don't.

$30k right now if you pay someone with a Tesla Powerwall. Our friend in Edmonton did it under $10 k, simple grid tied system and hasn't seen an electric bill balance in 2 years.

A Tesla Powerwall is extremely viable, but expensive. There is competition already, and Musk says prices will fall dramatically when gigafactory in Nevada is in full swing.
    Two different Calgary solar dealers that were interviewed on CHQR, claimed that when all is said and done, initial cost for a typical Calgary home would be 25,000 to $30,000.

The Solar Energy Society of Alberta, claims on off grid system will cost about $18,000:

The average Alberta household consumes about 7200 kWh of electricity per year. In Alberta, this would require a solar PV system of around 6000 installed Watts to reach net-zero electricity use on a yearly basis. Assuming a cost of $3.00/Watt of installed capacity, this system would cost about $18 000.
    In regards to snow, they say:

A layer of snow can reduce your solar array output to zero. Although clearing accumulated snow can help you squeeze a few more kiloWatt-hours (kWh) from your solar PV system, the months with snow are also the lowest production months. The decision to manually clear snow will vary from system to system and owner to owner. Clearing the snow by getting on the roof can be a risky business and is usually not recommended.
    https://solaralberta.ca/content/faqs

As far as your Tesla analogy goes, it's irrelevant as it's a totally different application for alternative energy.

Originally posted by spike98

You mean we dont have demand based pricing?
    Only businesses pay demand based pricing.

Originally posted by suntan
    Only businesses pay demand based pricing.
    So Mr. Peak Shave was wrong? ;-)

And I thought he had the professionalism to apologize. All those bad names, putting me down for being a mechanic, and no apology when he didn't even know our meters are read once a month billed by a rate based on hourly moving average based on prices and usage the provider pays, and it makes no difference to your or my bill if we wash laundry at 5pm or 2 am.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 03-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Originally posted by Seth1968

Two different Calgary solar dealers that were interviewed on CHQR, claimed that when all is said and done, initial cost for a typical Calgary home would be 25,000 to $30,000.

The Solar Energy Society of Alberta, claims on off grid system will cost about $18,000:

In regards to snow, they say:

https://solaralberta.ca/content/faqs

As far as your Tesla analogy goes, it's irrelevant as it's a totally different application for alternative energy.
    Absolutely. We have poor competition, and a small market. I can guarantee the figures you state are correct.

I've always been a do it yourself, and this is perfect. Despite Mr Peak Shaves claims, his PhD in nuclear physics is not needed to install a solar system. It is quite simple, easier than head gaskets on a 6.4 Ford
    Last edited by Gestalt; 03-14-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Gestalt,

To be clear, you're saying your buddy installed on off grid system and all the parts were around $10,000?

What's he using for batteries, appliances, lights, etc?
    Any others in the household?

So Mr. Peak Shave was wrong? ;-)
    Let me break this down for you since clearly you wear a helmet full time.

I basically am calling you an idiot altogether. I am no longer attempting to show you a reasoned argument, I'm attempting to be entertaining at your expense.

For those interested in reading:

Mike would neither confirm nor deny that an individual called in 3 times successively and questioned 2 of his salesmen about a "net-zero" system which was purely solar based with no storage.

He neither confirmed nor denied that said customer tried to tell the salesman that his believed he would be able to reduce his electrical bill substantially (>50%) by operating a 3 panel array year round. Totalling efficiency quote was about a 1.15kWh production during summer months with near perfect cleanliness.

The salesman explained that the customer was told he needed to consider a storage solution with a small transfer switch in order to maximize system efficiency, to which the customer declined.

Wasn't given a name. Which was really what the whole adventure was about.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Maybe that's why it was half price lol

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast