Quantcast
A Californian's Guide to Southern California - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Californian's Guide to Southern California

My Ride
    impreza

Any recommendations for a central place to stay where it is easy to get around without a car? I'll be in LA for 3 nights, have tickets to a Kings game and getting Lakers tix tomorrow. I'm not to worried about the beach, since I've been traveling the last 10 months. Might try to hit up Universal Studios as well.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Just stuffed my face at Shakeys Pizza Parlor in Fontana

My Ride
    M3P

Originally posted by mac_82
    Any recommendations for a central place to stay where it is easy to get around without a car? I'll be in LA for 3 nights, have tickets to a Kings game and getting Lakers tix tomorrow. I'm not to worried about the beach, since I've been traveling the last 10 months. Might try to hit up Universal Studios as well.
    You're not getting anywhere fast without a car in LA

Originally posted by hurrdurr

You're not getting anywhere fast without a car in LA
    Even if you have a car, you're not going anywhere fast. Haha.

OP: You also need to add Mulholland Dr as an attraction to your list... I've driven the entire stretch about 5 times this week, and itching to go back for more. So glad I rented the Merc E-Class instead of a SUV to carve the twisty roads. A couple of times, I had van drivers tailgate me for a stretch of the Mulholland up and down the twisties.

Here are some things I've learned this week about the drivers & driving in LA.
    • The posted speed limit is the minimum speed that you should be doing, not max. If it says 35, you realistically should be doing 55. Basically add 20mph to the posted speed limit. Same applies to freeway driving.
    • Always anticipate someone cutting into your lane suddenly when there is barely any room between you and the car in front of you.
    • Most people don't use their signals to change lanes... it's ok, it's LA.
    • If you're approaching an intersection, and it's a yellow light... it means to speed up faster and blast through it.
    • If you're waiting to turn into stop & go traffic from a parking lot, people will always let you in.
    • People never use their horns. I know I was the only one I even heard using my horn.
    • Asian lady drivers are actually pretty fast decent drivers in LA.
    • I've never seen so many Priuses, S Class Mercs in my life.
    Last edited by dingmah; 12-24-2011 at 02:03 AM.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by dingmah

Here are some things I've learned this week about the drivers & driving in LA.
    • The posted speed limit is the minimum speed that you should be doing, not max. If it says 35, you realistically should be doing 55. Basically add 20mph to the posted speed limit. Same applies to freeway driving.
    • Always anticipate someone cutting into your lane suddenly when there is barely any room between you and the car in front of you.
    • Most people don't use their signals to change lanes... it's ok, it's LA.
    • If you're approaching an intersection, and it's a yellow light... it means to speed up faster and blast through it.
    • If you're waiting to turn into stop & go traffic from a parking lot, people will always let you in.
    • People never use their horns. I know I was the only one I even heard using my horn.
    • Asian lady drivers are actually pretty fast decent drivers in LA.
    • I've never seen so many Priuses, S Class Mercs in my life.
    1. Most drivers go about 5 miles over on regular street driving, and fwy speeds is average 70-75. If you want to go 20 over the speed limit, I hope you have a good story to the cop. Our traffic is bad enough where you can't even drive fast anyway.
    2. Depends on where you are. Asian areas, yes this will happen.
    3. USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS. Most people I find that don't use turn signals are tourists (a big enterprise license plate frame shows it). Don't be an ass and continue the trend.
    4. Don't blast through the yellow, unless you like donating $400-600. And someone else might have a same mentality when its yellow yield left turn, thus a possible collision.
    5. True
    6. True
    7. Asian women are HORRIBLE drivers.
    8. There are tons of Prii, but they mostly drive like douchebags that seem to floor it everywhere they go.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I miss being in LA. Well, kinda. Awesome place to visit. Living is kind of a different story
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    99 Blazer

What am I looking at for a drive time San Diego to Anaheim on a Sunday morning? I've found online that Sunday nights are shitty, I want to make a 1230 angels game. Also how bad will the drive to Lax monday morning be?

anyone been recently that have anything to add?

will be headed down to Santa Monica in Sept... lots of good stuff here already...
    Last edited by Mys73ri0; 08-15-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    J

drove from anahiem to san diego on a sun morning, totally dead(compared to week days)

Lax mon morning, budget extra time, good luck from anahiem to LAX was 2 hours iirc for 800am

Loved California and amenities, but the 4hours daily of stop and go traffic just killed me. Probably wont visit again in this lifetime.

My Ride
    rusty

Any new info or tips for southern/northern Cali? I'm planning on driving down to LA next week from Calgary. I have 3weeks off so that should be enough time. I have nothing plan. Just going with the flow.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by redx2nv
    drove from anahiem to san diego on a sun morning, totally dead(compared to week days)

Lax mon morning, budget extra time, good luck from anahiem to LAX was 2 hours iirc for 800am

Loved California and amenities, but the 4hours daily of stop and go traffic just killed me. Probably wont visit again in this lifetime.
    Jeez, as much as I wanted to take my bike down there this summer, hearing shit like this just kills it for me.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by souljer
    Any new info or tips for southern/northern Cali? I'm planning on driving down to LA next week from Calgary. I have 3weeks off so that should be enough time. I have nothing plan. Just going with the flow.
    I just got back from Cali and I was there for two weeks, I stayed in Garden Grove (Anaheim) the entire time. I rented a vehicle and drove to LA and to San Diego, traffic was not as bad if you avoid morning and afternoon rush hour. If you're with family take advantage of the car pool lanes. Parking at the main attractions (Disney, Universal etc.), is around $16, $25 if you want closer parking. If you are planning to go to Disney most hotels have a shuttle service for $3-5 / day. I'm not sure what kind of info you need but if you need info on Disney, Universal, Sea World and the different beaches let me know.
    Last edited by Clever; 08-02-2014 at 10:36 PM.

My Ride
    06 F-150

What does everyone recommend for outlet mall? Will have a car so can go wherever. Will also be in San Diego so can go places near there as well. Looking for clothes and sneakers and anything cool for a decent price.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Cabazon/Desert Hills Outlet just outside of Palm Springs..

Should be under 2hrs away from San Diego.

I don't think this has been mentioned...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Looking for suggestions on flights. Looking to fly down Friday or saturday Oct 10/11, and back Tuesday Oct 14. Taking two kids with me, so very much want nonstop flights.

Seems there are no direct SAN-YYC flights on Oct 14th.
    Could fly to Palm Springs, Anaheim, LAX or anywhere really. We'll have a car, so I'm not worried about that.

Since I'm renting a car, probably easiest if I arrive and depart from same airport. one-way rentals could be a hassle.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Also, thanks to Chathamf for his recent thread, which inspired me to post here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Looking for suggestions on flights. Looking to fly down Friday or saturday Oct 10/11, and back Tuesday Oct 14. Taking two kids with me, so very much want nonstop flights.

Seems there are no direct SAN-YYC flights on Oct 14th.
    Could fly to Palm Springs, Anaheim, LAX or anywhere really. We'll have a car, so I'm not worried about that.

Since I'm renting a car, probably easiest if I arrive and depart from same airport. one-way rentals could be a hassle.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Also, thanks to Chathamf for his recent thread, which inspired me to post here.
    Haha your welcome!

I landed direct flights return for two people for 600 everything included. Definitely some good deals out there. I was planning to go to San Fran first but the hotel prices were crazy. And everything affordable seemed to be surrounded by the homeless from what I've read of the reviews. Much cheaper to rent a car in LAX and return it to LAX than picking one up in San Fran and dropping off in LAX it seemed too.

Have a good trip.

(Everyone don't hate because I made a thread and got mad about it please, haha)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just looking at car rental prices, and it seems like there is no extra charge for doing a one-way rental from San Diego to LAX. Weird. Maybe it depends on the two locations you are trying to use? If that's accurate, then I have no reason not to do that. I can fly into San Diego, and then just drive up to LAX on my last day.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 F-150

I didn't look far into it. I just tried to book at LAX for six years and return to LAX and total was like 100 bucks. Was 300 when I tried to do different locations.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

priceline for rental cars.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast