Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > A very important program you need to install right now.

Author
Thread
01RedDX
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

You know you could have avoided this whole shit show by just naming your thread properly.

Something like "Handy program to Autodecline PUPs" or "Unchecky saves you the hassle of cleaning your parents computer" would have been much more appropriate, or literally anything other than

"A very important program you need to install right now!!!!!1"

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-02-2017 09:31 PM
01RedDX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 01RedDX Click here to Send 01RedDX a Private Message Find more posts by 01RedDX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by taemo
How do I keep my parents PC protected?
Good Antvirus, Malwarebytes and Google Chrome with AdGuard add-on (used to use AdBlock).

I'll explain it all again one last time.

Antivirus and Malwarebytes will do next to nothing to prevent PUPS.

Reason being, PUPS aren't illegal. If the security program you use tries to stop them, then said PUP author would sue the shit of your antivirus program. That's also why many antivirus programs have PUP detection DISABLED by default.

NOTE: That whole PUP detection is meaningless anyway, as the security program isn't going to do shit to prevent PUPS. It's just there to make you feel better.

Old Post 05-02-2017 09:42 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by 01RedDX
You know you could have avoided this whole shit show by just naming your thread properly.

Something like "Handy program to Autodecline PUPs" or "Unchecky saves you the hassle of cleaning your parents computer" would have been much more appropriate, or literally anything other than

"A very important program you need to install right now!!!!!1"

Ya Red, I fucked up on that part.

I already retracted on that.

Old Post 05-02-2017 09:44 PM
Seth1968 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth1968 Click here to Send Seth1968 a Private Message Find more posts by Seth1968 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Seth1968

Ya Red, I fucked up on that part.

I already retracted on that.

Further to that, my GF tells me, "It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it".

So there's that.

Old Post 05-02-2017 10:01 PM
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

This is a good piece of software to be aware of, I already know of someone who definitely needs it as I'm always rebuilding their laptop for primarily this reason

Old Post 05-02-2017 10:19 PM
Swank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Further to that, my GF tells me, "It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it".

So there's that.

It's pretty common on Beyond for people to argue what they want to believe you said, even if its not remotely close to what was written.

We don't see eye to eye often Seth, but don't sweat it. Title of the thread a bit overblown? Yea, I guess, but that doesn't mean what you posted isn't good.

Old Post 05-02-2017 11:50 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Malwarebytes will do next to nothing to prevent PUPS.

Sorry, but MB does remove/prevent PUPs. No need to mention my clients (since it works for them) but in many cases when I download a random tool to perform a task (like long file name repair) that involves modifying lower levels of a Win install (which pup's can do) - MB will block the download and I have to manually allow it through.

MB is not the end all to be all, and will likely be supplanted down the road with something else. The tool you mentioned is also a good tool, but I wouldn't necessarily elevate it to a god-like status.

Old Post 05-03-2017 01:02 AM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth1968
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Then there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPlJ3Sswpu8

Old Post 05-03-2017 02:02 AM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

So... if I understand this correctly, the program will link me into a dark-web where it will automatically provide me with some Pups and Kittens that I can re-sell on Kijiji for a modest profit?

Sorry, not overly helpful with my contributions on this thread... just bored and no new posts this morning

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 05-06-2017 at 05:59 PM

Old Post 05-06-2017 05:55 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:05 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > A very important program you need to install right now.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: