Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > A3/S3 European Refresh (8V)

Author
Thread
R154
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.26
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

There's a guy on this forum that works at Glenmore. 852VR6, pm him. He is nice and helpful.

Originally posted by ZenOps
I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2017 01:02 AM
R154 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R154 Click here to Send R154 a Private Message Find more posts by R154 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Exciting! Congrats!

Old Post 02-20-2017 01:27 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bart
Second Gear

What I drive: GT TDi
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

i would get ceramics

the steel brakes warp prematurely, its been an ongoing problem since the first TTRS, they had a recall and no difference, ongoing problem in the current RS3's in europe if you read other forums, the discs are big but they are bidirectional (ttrs)

also anyone with an R considering upgrading their brakes to TTRS/RS3 bad idea lol

http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/deale...n-stikken-91309

also i dont like how the front wheels are wider than the rear ones, they should all be 9" around

Old Post 02-20-2017 04:34 PM
bart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bart Click here to Send bart a Private Message Find more posts by bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

No wonder the sales guy was pushing the ceramics. Fuck.

Thank you so much for the article. I guess I should try and reach out to a current owner and see whether anyone with a 16 and the ceramics had similar issues. Or how the regular brake problem was resolved (if).

But 6 grand for the fronts only... I guess I'm not getting wheels for it.

I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Old Post 02-20-2017 05:03 PM
R154 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R154 Click here to Send R154 a Private Message Find more posts by R154 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
npham
First Gear

What I drive: 2018 Allroad to replace 2011 A3 TDI, MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 0.18
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

You could always save the $6000 and upgrade to a big brake kit/ceramics instead.

Old Post 02-20-2017 06:26 PM
npham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for npham Click here to Send npham a Private Message Find more posts by npham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

I need to find out if it will affect my warranty. If it doesn't then I will go with an aftermarket solution.

Furthur research seems to point to the prebraking system and the pads being suspect.

Looks like some people are having success with different pads.

Join me.

Old Post 02-20-2017 06:42 PM
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by bart

the steel brakes warp prematurely

Are they ACTUALLY warping?

Many times people just say "rotors are warped" when its actually just uneven brake pad material buildup (probably the case in 90% of "rotor warp" claims).

This is also supported by the fact that changing brake pad materials/compound/brand fixes it. Doesn't matter what material the pads are, you need a certain amount of heat (friction) to stop a car from a given speed.

So yea, I'd "probably" save yourself $6k and just spend $100 on different pads

Old Post 02-21-2017 04:56 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bart
Second Gear

quote:

maybe

there was a recall for pads and discs later i had it done then someone bought my car, never found out

so replace the pads as soon as you get the car see what happens or doesnt happen haha

Old Post 02-22-2017 01:54 PM
bart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bart Click here to Send bart a Private Message Find more posts by bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

I'm not really excited to take a chance on ordering the car with shit brakes.

Looks like I can get brembo 8pots in the front 6 in the back installed with new rotors for 4k. So i know that option exists. No official word about warranty if I do it.

But the prebraking system causes the pads to deposit material on the rotors and over time (not a lot) cause vibration and heat.

Some guys said they replaced the pads and it was better. Others used pads and rotors. It looks like everyone who is affected (a lot) had to change things on their braking system and Audi hasn't officially changed anything, they just replace it all with the same faulty bits. They do only one replacement. So I might just pony up to the ceramics if they won't honor my warranty, which is looking increasingly slim as they haven't reached out to me with an official response, yet.

Join me.

Old Post 02-22-2017 04:55 PM
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by bart
i would get ceramics

the steel brakes warp prematurely, its been an ongoing problem since the first TTRS, they had a recall and no difference, ongoing problem in the current RS3's in europe if you read other forums, the discs are big but they are bidirectional (ttrs)

also anyone with an R considering upgrading their brakes to TTRS/RS3 bad idea lol

http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/deale...n-stikken-91309

also i dont like how the front wheels are wider than the rear ones, they should all be 9" around

Due to the added weight of the 5 cylinder engine they made the front tires wider to mitigate understeer.

Old Post 02-22-2017 07:03 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bart
Second Gear

quote:

what is the pre-braking system?

i know there was a software update that when it was raining the car would apply brakes every so often to keep the brakes "dry", i skipped this update

if it was really wet out and cold and you drove for a while on highway and slammed the brakes on nothing happened for almost a second, hence this update

mine was fine until the end i had a track day around 40k, the next day after that things were vibrating alot during braking, soon after pad lights came on etc, then i got the recall done and sold the car a week after

the upside with ceramics is less unsprung weight, and they last ~3 times what steel discs do dont they? so whatever i would do it

Old Post 02-28-2017 10:55 PM
R154
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Yeah, you pretty accurately described prebraking. The intention is to keep the surfaces clean and warm for when you do brake. No reported hesitation though. Just the pads depositing material to the rotors and causing them to heat cycle in an abnormal manner. The buildup is what caused the vibration among other rs3 owners. Or atleast that is the consensus. I'm quite disappointed that audi doesn't have a real fix for this yet. Considering thst the only fix seems to be to buy the wildly more expensive brakes.

I'm going to order the car with ceramics. Audi still hasn't confirmed that it won't void my warranty to install an aftermarket brake system. I don't want to take a chance with it.

Join me.

Old Post 03-02-2017 01:45 PM
Grexx

Posts/Day: 0.01
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Looks like Audi finally fixed the understeer problem.

https://youtu.be/9GoAj7s2xNs

Old Post 03-25-2017 01:01 AM
Grexx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grexx Click here to Send Grexx a Private Message Find more posts by Grexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:54 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > A3/S3 European Refresh (8V)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: