Quantcast
Alberta Catholic high school under fire for pro-life presentation comparing abortion - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Catholic high school under fire for pro-life presentation comparing abortion

Originally posted by Seth1968

I never claimed a position on abortion.

As far as dying with dignity goes, the bottom line is that it's a basic human right for one to be able to choose their own fate. When an animal is suffering, we "put it down" out of compassion. But if a human is in agony and begging for dying with dignity, the self righteous oppose it.
    I can put down my dog because he took a shit in the wrong place if I so choose or put down my dog because well I don't like the fact he's no longer a puppy. The vets won't balk and will comply. Dogs get put down for all kinds of reasons and no one ever bothers to ask them if they want to cease to exist.

Assisted suicide is the same kind of trope. You can put down grandma with power of attorney because well she costs too much to keep in her in a old folks home. Same goes with people with developmental issues and mental trouble. Why not put down cousin billy whose got downs? The list goes on and on... Pretending there's no ethical problems with assisted suicide is just being disingenuous.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

This is very likely the most ridiculous post on the Internet.

I think duaner is Sean Spicer IRL.
    I think you are a religiphobe.

It's pretty safe to say that most religions are for the ending of suffering, not the creating of it. Anyone arguing otherwise simply has an irrational and therefore indefensible view of religion.

Man, people on Beyond have been getting crazier lately. Dogmatic.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

I can put down my dog because he took a shit in the wrong place if I so choose or put down my dog because well I don't like the fact he's no longer a puppy. The vets won't balk and will comply. Dogs get put down for all kinds of reasons and no one ever bothers to ask them if they want to cease to exist.

Assisted suicide is the same kind of trope. You can put down grandma with power of attorney because well she costs too much to keep in her in a old folks home. Same goes with people with developmental issues and mental trouble. Why not put down cousin billy whose got downs? The list goes on and on... Pretending there's no ethical problems with assisted suicide is just being disingenuous.
    So if a dog is in agony on death's bed, we should allow it to suffer because it can't talk or write? That's fucked up.

Who says you can put down grandma with a power of attorney?

Who says there are no ethical issues with assisted suicide?

BTW- I'm all for mercy killing in some cases.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    It's pretty safe to say that most religions are for the ending of suffering, not the creating of it.
    This is true ONLY if you submit to their ideology. Otherwise, Catholicism especially is quite notorious throughout history for killing/attempting to exterminate "non-believers", pagans, etc.

So no, that isn't "for" the ending of suffering. It's coercion at best. You will not suffer now, or in our version of eternity, if you submit and do what we say.

That's not being a "religiphobe", that's just how it is.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I think you are a religiphobe.

It's pretty safe to say that most religions are for the ending of suffering, not the creating of it.
    Here are just 2 examples:

1) Allowing a person to suffer when they're begging to die.

2) Opposing abortions, contraception, etc, which leads to unwanted children.

My Ride

If you don't think it's psychological abuse to teach someone that they're going to die if they don't do what you say then I encourage you to go try it out on someone without using religion as a pretense.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Edge

This is very likely the most ridiculous post on the Internet.
    How so? It would be nice if you could add something of substance.

I think duaner is Sean Spicer IRL.
    Who is Sean Spicer?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    Edge

Many adults who were forced into theism realize there is no evidence of a god and become atheists or agnostics.
    If any were forced into Christianity, they were never Christian to begin with. Not to mention they will likely have a lot of animosity towards Christianity and religion.

How is the Christian God not egotistical, psychotic, and a mass murderer? Seriously?
    Now you're avoiding my question. How so? Seriously.

You're making certain claims and I think it is past time you back them up.

My Ride

Originally posted by duaner
    How so? It would be nice if you could add something of substance.
    To be honest, there's no point. I've never seen you do the same, you spout ingrained ideology and not free thought. It's cool you're happy that way but, debate isn't worthwhile against a closed mind.

If any were forced into Christianity, they were never Christian to begin with.
    Being baptized as a baby incapable of free will, being placed in a Catholic education system for ideological brainwashing your whole youth and then confirming "your" belief while still a child all while not being given the chance to develop free thought isn't forcible?

I already feel like an idiot for getting suckered in here this far.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 04-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Wait, didn't you guys nail your demi-god to a cross so he could suffer for you or something?
    People did nail Jesus to the cross, yes, and he suffered and died. But that is a very different thing then what is being claimed in this thread.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    Edge

To be honest, there's no point. I've never seen you do the same, you spout ingrained ideology and not free thought.
    If you think I haven't added anything of substance then you are not at all reading the thread nor anything else I have ever posted.

The problem with your argument here is that anyone who doesn't think like you or those who belong to your worldview has had ideology ingrained into them and that they are not "free thinkers." But that is patently false.

Atheism can be just as ingrained into people as any other belief system. And people in all belief systems are free to think for themselves, as is evidenced by the numerous people who change beliefs every day.

It's cool you're happy that way but, debate isn't worthwhile against a closed mind.

I already feel like an idiot for getting suckered in here this far.
    And another seriously flawed argument. If someone doesn't think like you or your tribe, they're closed-minded. It's an argument often used when people have nothing to say in rebuttal. It's cool if you're happy that way but I choose to remain open-minded and willing to discuss such issues.

I guess I'll just have take it then that you have not seriously studied such issues for yourself. Your ideology is ingrained by all the atheist stuff you read on the Internet.

Examples of God personally killing people:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Example...killing_people

If the Old Testament had been marketed as a horror story — like a Stephen King novel — we might think differently about it. We applaud King's talent (if not the actions of his characters). Those who read his belief-suspending books can appreciate the literary value of that genre. We wink as we wince. We could make allowances for the crude (or even campWikipedia's W.svg) writing style of the Old Testament authors if we thought their aim was to entertain by shocking. But the real horror story — the one that made Nietzsche say he needed to put on gloves before reading it — is that those writers were not pretending. And neither were the readers. Today, anyone who takes the Old Testament seriously — and does not wink or wince at the gratuitous splattering of blood — is a troubled person.

My Ride
    Edge

I distinctly recall movies where Christians praise that your god guy suffered a horrible death on your behalf... so technically suffering is a huge part of Christianity
    The suffering and death of Christ is central to Christianity, as is his resurrection (good week to bring that up). But that in no way means that Christians are "all about the suffering of others." That's fallacious.

Plus in the Divinci Code, the super Christian albino guy that followed the rules exactly was hurting himself with whips and shit specifically so that he could suffer like the guy you sacrificed. It just seems like Christianity is all about the suffering of others.
    Lol! The Da Vinci Code? Seriously? You do know that it is make-believe, yes? But to be fair, there are those who do do such things to their bodies. That has nothing to do with the Christianity I know.

Edited to correct who the second quote is attributed to.
    Last edited by duaner; 04-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.

My Ride

.....sidestepping/excuses/broad assumptions....

Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Here's more:

​God's 12 Biggest Dick Moves in the Old Testament

http://io9.gizmodo.com/gods-12-bigge...ent-1522970429

Before Jesus arrived and his divine father chilled out, the Old Testament God was, ironically, kind of a hellraiser. He was not a nice guy. He really liked killing people. And he may have actually been insane, if his willingness to randomly murder devout worshippers like Moses was any indication. Here are the 12 craziest, most awful things God did in the Old Testament, back before that wacked-out hippie Jesus softened him up.

My Ride

The suffering and death of Christ is central to Christianity, as is his resurrection (good week to bring that up). But that in no way means that Christians are "all about the suffering of others." That's fallacious.

Lol! The Da Vinci Code? Seriously? You do know that it is make-believe, yes? But to be fair, there are those who do do such things to their bodies. That has nothing to do with the Christianity I know.
    In your haste to copy and paste you have attributed something to me I didn't say.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

So if a dog is in agony on death's bed, we should allow it to suffer because it can't talk or write? That's fucked up.
    You're placing your own values upon another form of life which may or may not think the same way you do. How you can't seem to grasp this concept is definitely strange. Unless you can ask the dog which it would prefer you're effectively doing what is most convenient for you.

How's putting the dog down when it's on death's door different from not putting the dog down after major surgery? I fail to see how for the dog either scenario is different in one it gets to arbitrarily die and the other it gets to suffer. You're imposing your values and beliefs onto the dog.

You can pretend otherwise but end of the day you choose whatever is most convenient for yourself when dealing with animals. The animal has no say or control so pretending you're somehow acting in it's interests without being able to ask it's interests in the first place is just asinine.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

You're placing your own values upon another form of life which may or may not think the same way you do. How you can't seem to grasp this concept is definitely strange. Unless you can ask the dog which it would prefer you're effectively doing what is most convenient for you.

How's putting the dog down when it's on death's door different from not putting the dog down after major surgery? I fail to see how for the dog either scenario is different in one it gets to arbitrarily die and the other it gets to suffer. You're imposing your values and beliefs onto the dog.

You can pretend otherwise but end of the day you choose whatever is most convenient for yourself when dealing with animals. The animal has no say or control so pretending you're somehow acting in it's interests without being able to ask it's interests in the first place is just asinine.
    Wow. Just wow.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast