Quantcast
Alberta GDL License - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Alberta GDL License

Damn, I thought this would just be swept under the rug and forgotten and my GDL would get upped. Exact same situation as that girl. No need to upgrade, no demerits, don't plan on drinking and driving anytime soon either

Even if the "advanced" exam was free I'd have reservations about showing up to an exam center on my time off and driving around aimlessly for an hour with an under-employed man (or woman) shouting instructions at me.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Even if the "advanced" exam was free I'd have reservations about showing up to an exam center on my time off and driving around aimlessly for an hour with an under-employed man (or woman) shouting instructions at me.
    They don't shout...pretty chill in fact.

I only did it because my old job told me to drive a work vehicle in Alberta and be covered under insurance you can't be a GDL. Not sure if they were telling the truth though.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

I think I was the first age group to be put through the GDL licensing and I had my GDL for about 8 years in total before I upgraded to non-GDL. Like the video states, there is no real reason to upgrade unless you get into demerit trouble, or are applying for a job that wants non GDL. Regarding the zero tolerance to alcohol consumption, I think that is a real non factor for most people.

As for the test to come off your GDL, I kinda saw it as a money grab.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by diamondedge

They don't shout...pretty chill in fact.
    Guy I had just talked hockey with me the whole time. He was doing it to make sure I can drive and talk at the same time but it's not like you're sitting there in awkward silence or something. Other than being too expensive and taking too long I didn't mind the test.
    Last edited by btimbit; 05-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

My problem with all the people who are like but why should I spend the money getting my GDL... its simple. They are testing you to see if you should in fact be on the road.

The people who don't want to take their GDL are either absolute shit drivers or so full of shit and think they are the king of the road.

Take the damn test if you can drive as good as you say you'll pass no problem.

^

Why not give the "advanced" test the first time around? If they really want to keep bad drivers off the roads all drivers should be required to take a road test everytime you renew your license.

My Ride
    ED-7

GDL drivers can't accompany those with only a learners license.

I guess this is more of an incentive for motorcyclists who want their friends to be able to learn/practice how to ride a bike on a public road with them.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Manhattan
    ^

Why not give the "advanced" test the first time around? If they really want to keep bad drivers off the roads all drivers should be required to take a road test everytime you renew your license.
    Because the GDL is what allows you to practice and learn your and hone your driving skills. Then when you feel that your skills are good you take the proper test.

Same situation with a Class 6 license.

Personally the GDL in Alberta needs to change so it it expires.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by firebane

Because the GDL is what allows you to practice and learn your and hone your driving skills. Then when you feel that your skills are good you take the proper test.
    For what benefit, though? If you have no demerits and don't drink and drive, what motivation is there to get the full Class 5? If the GDL test is inadequate for safe driving, why do they allow people to drive with it instead of a learner's licence?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Same situation with a Class 6 license.

Personally the GDL in Alberta needs to change so it it expires.
    I wouldn't mind this actually. You are eligible to take a full road test after 2 years with GDL, but after 3 years you either retake the basic road test to maintain your GDL or you take the advanced test to get a full license.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

For what benefit, though? If you have no demerits and don't drink and drive, what motivation is there to get the full Class 5? If the GDL test is inadequate for safe driving, why do they allow people to drive with it instead of a learner's licence?
    You forget the key important thing here. Everyone thinks they are awesome drivers and have no faults but who is there to judge you of that?

I can say I am the absolute best driver on the face of the planet and don't need to progress any further with my license.

The purpose of graduating your license is so that someone is there to see how well you actually drive and if you will be a hazard to the road.

The reason this doesn't happen for is because the GDL is good indefinitely and people just abuse that.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

You forget the key important thing here. Everyone thinks they are awesome drivers and have no faults but who is there to judge you of that?

I can say I am the absolute best driver on the face of the planet and don't need to progress any further with my license.

The purpose of graduating your license is so that someone is there to see how well you actually drive and if you will be a hazard to the road.

The reason this doesn't happen for is because the GDL is good indefinitely and people just abuse that.
    I like how you didn't manage to answer any of my questions, but let's continue anyway.

Then what elements of safe driving ability do you believe are missing from the GDL examination? You've waxed poetic about how bad GDL drivers must be, but you've failed to substantiate what, exactly, you think the knowledge gap is.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

My problem with all the people who are like but why should I spend the money getting my GDL... its simple. They are testing you to see if you should in fact be on the road.

The people who don't want to take their GDL are either absolute shit drivers or so full of shit and think they are the king of the road.

Take the damn test if you can drive as good as you say you'll pass no problem.
    This isn't true.

In my case and many others, there is just no reason to spend $150-$200 and an hour of your time to drive around and verify your an adequate driver. I know I am a good driver and I proved it the first time when I was 16 and passed my GDL drivers test. If anything I think I would have gotten better with experience. I don't need the extra 7 demerits a full license offers, I don't need my alcohol tolerance to go from 0 to .05, so what reason do I have to spend my money to get a full license when there are no immediate benefits. There are none.

I conform to all of the GDL limitations discussed above, so how am I abusing the program?

Does having your full license reduce your insurance rate?

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Originally posted by know1edge
    Does having your full license reduce your insurance rate?
    nope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4