Quantcast
Alberta GDL License - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alberta GDL License

Default Re: Re: Info

Originally posted by Dragoon_O

Just checking...

The driving between Midnight and 5am; isn't that only for learner drivers only?

A Class 5 GDL is a probationary driver and can drive through those hours right?
    No, GDL can drive anytime they want.

Other than zero alcohol tolerance, you also cannot have more people than seatbelts in car, (which is legal in Alberta for unrestricted class 5 holders) but you also cannot upgrade for a class 1 or 3 for example

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I have Class 5 GDL currently, and dont see a need to upgrade. The only question I have is am I good to drive in other provinces (mainly BC), and do I need to display that stupid L plate when I am in BC?

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    I have Class 5 GDL currently, and dont see a need to upgrade. The only question I have is am I good to drive in other provinces (mainly BC), and do I need to display that stupid L plate when I am in BC?
    When I went to BC, I didn't put anything up and I was driving with more then one passenger too, I really don't think a police officer is going to pin you for a law that someone visiting from Alberta would otherwise have no idea about.

Does insurance go down once you're off the GDL? Also it seems like it would be a good idea because of the drinking thing, a friend of mine got suspended for 3 months because the day after new years he got pulled over and the police officer said she could smell liqour on his breath.

Anyone take this test recently? Any tips?

Originally posted by derpderp

Does insurance go down once you're off the GDL? Also it seems like it would be a good idea because of the drinking thing, a friend of mine got suspended for 3 months because the day after new years he got pulled over and the police officer said she could smell liqour on his breath.
    Insurance isn't affected by GDL. Although each insurance company is different, it doesn't hurt to ask.

It doesn't matter if they smell alcohol, they still have to test you, anything above 0.0 and you're screwed. Don't think though that if you get your full license its ok to pound back one beer and drive home.

Even if you have a full license and you blow above 0, but under the limit, you're could still get charged with impaired driving, which is not to be taken lightly.

Save the $120+ you'll pay to take the test and spend it on something else, there really is not huge downside to having a GDL license for most drivers. I've been GDL for about 5 years now.

if you know how to drive normally and your comfortable, then its a breeeeeze to pass, just watch your speeds, and make sure you watch playground zones, and school zones IF they are in effect. Otherwise its nothing to stress about, if ppl actually fail this thing then they should have their licenses shredded
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Talking

Heres to another thread bump

I have been searching around and i was wondering if Beyond could help. Is the list of things you can lose points for the same on the Advanced test as it is for the normal test?

I just passed my 2 years and have been infraction free so i thought while i have some free time on my hands i might as well book myself a test and get it over with before the goverment comes up with some new kinds of regulations on GDLs.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether to take the test in a car with standard transmission? I remember when i first got my class 5 i got dinged for "coasting" with my clutch up to a light...

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos
    Danyone have any opinions on whether to take the test in a car with standard transmission? I remember when i first got my class 5 i got dinged for "coasting" with my clutch up to a light...
    I should know this also as I have been able to take my test for many years now but have never gotten around to it
    My one friend I think was saying that you are always supposed to be on gear on the test as they figure if something happens you need to be able to move your car and cannot do that if it is not in gear?
    What do you mean coasting though like from a far distance or just coasting a few meters coming to a stop?

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Default Re: Re: Info

Originally posted by Dragoon_O

Just checking...

The driving between Midnight and 5am; isn't that only for learner drivers only?

A Class 5 GDL is a probationary driver and can drive through those hours right?
    That's right, the rule was removed from Class 5 GLD years ago.

Link

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by schocker

What do you mean coasting though like from a far distance or just coasting a few meters coming to a stop?
    Just leaving the car out of gear for 5-10m before the light, wasn't going fast enough to leave it in 2nd. Probably me being a little bit to comfortable during the test but it didnt seem like much of a reason to take off points.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Also I was thinking of booking a time at the North Hill registry since I walk past it in my way home from work. Anyone have any bad experiences with them as to why I should avoid them?

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by schocker

I should know this also as I have been able to take my test for many years now but have never gotten around to it
    My one friend I think was saying that you are always supposed to be on gear on the test as they figure if something happens you need to be able to move your car and cannot do that if it is not in gear?
    You can't coast even a meter lol. I was being very careful with that, and still got deducted. I would stick with an automatic for the test. Still passed, but they deducted a shitload of points for little things. One other mistake and I would've probably failed.

I got deducted for:

Going into neutral at a red light before the car was at a complete stop. I costed maybe 1 meter. You're supposed to downshift to 1st, clutch in until the car is at a complete stop, then put in neutral.

Putting the car into neutral while waiting for a left turn. You can't be in neutral at any time, as long as you're in the intersection.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Interesting info... Sounds like testing on standard is just extra hassle, especially if you've developed certain habits. Take it on auto and be done with it?

My Ride
    STi

Is there a reason why you can't go coast to a stop? I drive a manual now but when I learned to drive, it was with an automatic so I never really learned all the do's and don'ts for driving manual. I always coast to a stop. Luckily, I got my drivers license a year or two before GDL came in

My Ride
    Ford Compact

I thought it was mostly if you wanted to upgrade your license further.. I needed to get it done to get my class 1.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    What comes after a trillion?
    Originally posted by kvg
    a trillion and one

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by [GaGe]
    Going into neutral at a red light before the car was at a complete stop. I costed maybe 1 meter. You're supposed to downshift to 1st, clutch in until the car is at a complete stop, then put in neutral.

Putting the car into neutral while waiting for a left turn. You can't be in neutral at any time, as long as you're in the intersection.
    All the testers must own a transmission stop or something
    I never downshift into first, it isn't even possible until you are moving at a crawl.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by jsn
    Is there a reason why you can't go coast to a stop? I drive a manual now but when I learned to drive, it was with an automatic so I never really learned all the do's and don'ts for driving manual. I always coast to a stop. Luckily, I got my drivers license a year or two before GDL came in
    Yeah haha, you can't accelerate when trying to avoid an accident if you're in neutral. I'm sure most people do it anyways.

Also, I heard that if you get your motorcycle license, it automatically gets rid of your GDL, and it's either the same price or cheaper than the GDL test. Anyone know if this is true?

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Any parking involved? Like, do 200 parallel parks all over the city?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast