Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Fashion and Luxury > Alterations - Got skinnier - worth it?

Author
Thread
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

Alterations - Got skinnier - worth it? quote:

So I'm less of a fatass than I used to be, and now my dress shirts and sportcoats are baggy in the gut area. What's it cost to have a shirt taken in by a place that'll do a decent job? I assume a sport coat is a lot more work and money?

Where do people recommend for this stuff?

If the cost is too high, I may just buy new ones, but when you have a closet full of clothes you already like, seems like alterations would be better.

I know there are a lot of more stylish dudes on beyond than myself, so I'm hoping to get better info than just phoning around.

Could always gain that weight back. I don't think it would be that hard.....

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-20-2017 05:29 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Jaafars Tailor took some of my dress shirts in for $15 each and he always seems to be recommended (or at least used to be).

I took a suit to Giovanni (the other one often recommended) and I'm sure he does a good job but his prices were outrageous. Basic alterations to a suit coat and pants were $200 and he wanted another $150 to make the sleeves shorter. Another $100 I could have bought a brand new custom suit

Old Post 03-20-2017 05:33 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

probably just alter half your stuff in case the weight comes back.

Henry's Tailoring in Heritage Plaza next to the cop station.

Old Post 03-20-2017 07:19 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blubs

What I drive: 2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Depending on how much weight you dropped it can for sure be worth it. Being a small guy I have to get most of my stuff done. Pants always seem to be the most noticeable on people when they are over/undersized. In your case they can take the back of them in a fair amount, just watch that the pockets dont get too close together.

For shirts most places will toss a few darts in the back of shirts pretty cheap and can make the difference. I'd be bringing a few by a few places and get some quotes.

Old Post 03-20-2017 07:42 PM
blubs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blubs Click here to Send blubs a Private Message Find more posts by blubs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Originally posted by max_boost
probably just alter half your stuff in case the weight comes back...

+1
A guy I work with apparently lost 75lbs 4 years ago. He hasn't bought new clothes or got them altered and he looks ridiculous. Like a scarecrow wearing his dad's work clothes.

Old Post 03-20-2017 07:46 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Yeah, it's been around thirty pounds from my previous 230. It's only mildy ridiculous, but since I'm trying to present a professional image to get my business off the ground, I feel like wearing clothes that fit is a good idea.

Pants haven't been as much of an issue since a lot of my pants were worn out and I bought a few new pairs.

Not super worried about gaining it all back, since I've been able to keep pretty stable through the last six months. This isn't any kind of yo-yo diet setup. At least, if I do gain it back, I figure it'll take a decent amount of time anyway.

Anyone have an idea on cost for sportcoat?

Old Post 03-20-2017 07:55 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Akumaz

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

the new trend is the more fitted look for suits and jackets
i personally like it over the traditional fit

it might be worth the money to invest in a new suit or jackets
instead of getting them tailored

Rw&co usually have 30-40% off regularly, their sports fit or tailored fit jackets fits pretty well i find, slim fit is way too slim.
you can get a full suit for 200-250 while on discount.

Or Indochino, 350-500 usually for a full suit (while on promo)
much better material, but will take a month or so, longer if you have to send it back for alterations or remakes
my favorite suit by far is my indochino one, though i had to get it remade, the remake came in perfect.

Old Post 03-21-2017 04:12 PM
Akumaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Akumaz Click here to Send Akumaz a Private Message Find more posts by Akumaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CMW403
First Gear

What I drive: 6.2L V8
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (21)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

If you go the alteration route, check out Mansours in Dalhousie.

Owned and operated by a close friends family, he has been doing all of the alterations on my and my fathers suits for years now.

Old Post 03-22-2017 05:48 AM
CMW403 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CMW403 Click here to Send CMW403 a Private Message Find more posts by CMW403 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BokCh0y
Third Gear

What I drive: GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (74)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Just buy new stuff cuz when you put the weight back on, you'll have that stuff to wear.

Old Post 03-22-2017 04:01 PM
BokCh0y is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BokCh0y Click here to Send BokCh0y a Private Message Find more posts by BokCh0y Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 07:43 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Fashion and Luxury > Alterations - Got skinnier - worth it?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: