Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Amsoil vs Royal Purple vs synthetic oil

Author
Thread
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
These days, I am very much of the opinion that you will never see any negative effects over a vehicle's lifetime by using quality synthetic and regular change intervals, regardless of brand. I don't think there's ever been a case of "If Only I had used Amsoil or Royal Purple, X problem wouldn't have happened." Letting vehicles go crazy KM without oil/filter changes doesn't sit well with me, and voids warranty if you're on it.

Dealer bulk full-synthetic and manufacturer recommended oil change intervals is what I do. I have never, and don't expect to ever, have issues. Nor would I ever own a car long enough where oil-related issues would occur.

I agree. Most engines theses days last well past their warranty and most failures are caused by manufacturing defects, aftermarket modification, or neglect. Spending extra on designer oil isn't going to save your engine from failing if it was manufactured with defective parts or if you beat on it and change aftermarket parameters. Maybe it's piece of mind to some but at the end of the day it's just money wasted.

We always have two cars. My wife's is always dealer serviced at manufacturer intervals and I have always done my own always in shorter intervals and typically more expensive oil than dealer bulk synthetic or dyno oil. None of her cars have ever failed or had lubrication issues despite her cars always having higher mileage due to it being more of a family hauler.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-12-2017 10:19 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

btimbit
Second Gear

What I drive: '16 Turbo VW
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

The standard for oil these days is so high anyway, if I had a regular non turbo car like my wifes old Accord I'd have no problem using whatever cheap dino oil that they have on sale at Canadian Tire. As long as it meets current API specs it's not like there's an oil out there that won't lubricate enough, it just might have less additives.

Filters on the other hand, I never cheap out on

Old Post 04-12-2017 10:29 PM
btimbit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btimbit Click here to Send btimbit a Private Message Find more posts by btimbit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

If anyone wants to go full nerd... this is a read... I don't think I've ever got through the whole thing

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Old Post 04-12-2017 10:42 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Never trust the guy who sells the product to give you reliable information on the product.

Your warranty requires a certain oil change itnerval, and certain SAE specifications for that oil. Last I checked Amsoil doesn't have that SAE certification.

Old Post 04-13-2017 01:25 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Well, i know what oil I am going to use in our winters...

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 04-14-2017 04:15 AM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btimbit
Second Gear

quote:

Interesting, but to be fair they tested oil rated for -30 at -40.

Still though, poor showing for royal purple

Old Post 04-14-2017 06:37 AM
btimbit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btimbit Click here to Send btimbit a Private Message Find more posts by btimbit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by btimbit
Interesting, but to be fair they tested oil rated for -30 at -40.

Still though, poor showing for royal purple

agreed, and while -30 is more like a temperature we will see here, -40 is not out of the realm of possibility, and these are the oils that we would all be using.

I am a big fan of Mobil 1 and use that whenever possible. Now I will be sure that it is in my truck between October and April of every year...LOL

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 04-14-2017 01:12 PM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

It's a dramatic test that makes a good video, but not really a great way to choose your lubricant. Making oil thinner is easy. Would be neat if the same dudes ran a similar test on fully hot oil, in which case you'd want the one that flowed slowest.

Anyway, use an sae certified oil, plug in your block heater when it's cold, and change the oil according to the vehicle manufacturers recommended interval. If you do those things, you'll be fine in every season.

Old Post 04-14-2017 02:34 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

If you guys clicked my link up there you'd know that Mobil 1 is a consistently high performing oil

Old Post 04-14-2017 04:19 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

^ I read parts of it and yea I will be switching to Mobile 1 (or back, I should say).

Also goes to show how little viscosity ratings actually mean in real life.

Old Post 04-14-2017 04:50 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
r3ccOs
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
If you guys clicked my link up there you'd know that Mobil 1 is a consistently high performing oil

Its a very good Grade 3 Oil, where I think its additives make it a top performer

Old Post 04-14-2017 07:01 PM
r3ccOs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for r3ccOs Click here to Send r3ccOs a Private Message Find more posts by r3ccOs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry

According to that 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra is probably the best overall performing oil for street use.

Old Post 04-14-2017 07:47 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btimbit
Second Gear

quote:

Yeah I usually go between Mobil 1 and Penzoil Platinum, whichever of the 2 are on sale. Both test very well

Old Post 04-14-2017 08:14 PM
The time now is 12:38 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Amsoil vs Royal Purple vs synthetic oil

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: