Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Anyone ever work with a builder on an infill?

Author
Thread
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I'm doing one now (SFD, 50 foot lot), just below 16th Ave on 6a street NW where the building is $450/sq ft. That does not include lot price. The old house was bought for $600k and demolished.

$450/sq ft. I don't think you can compare this to the average/norm. These guys should have hired a Kijiji tiler and cut that cost down.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2017 09:32 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

JordanLotoski
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: www.jordanlotoski.com
Posts/Day: 0.41
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by roopi

$450/sq ft. I don't think you can compare this to the average/norm. These guys should have hired a Kijiji tiler and cut that cost down.

LOL....Most spend more if they are building on a full lot...I want to say I spent 520 or so per sq foot...I have seen in excess of 750.00 per sq foot, which is crazy money

Set up your own custom search http://jordanlotoski.com/vow.html/m

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jord...121848254540668

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
2008, 2010 MLS MILLION DOLLAR CLUB
Ranked #1 Remax Professionals (2013/2014/2015,2016)
Ranked #26 Re/Max agent in Canada (2013)
Ranked # 56 Re/Max agent Worldwide (2014)
#1 buyers agent - Remax Realty Pros (2013)
Ranked TOP 10 Remax agent in Western Canada(2013/2014/2015)

www.jordanlotoski.com/

Looking for home prices...www.homepricecalgary.com

Call me today to discuss your next Build!!

Preferred Builder/Renovations/Basement development
http://www.cornerstonehomes.biz/

Old Post 03-30-2017 09:38 PM
JordanLotoski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JordanLotoski Click here to Send JordanLotoski a Private Message Visit JordanLotoski's homepage! Find more posts by JordanLotoski Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Originally posted by JordanLotoski

LOL....Most spend more if they are building on a full lot...I want to say I spent 520 or so per sq foot...I have seen in excess of 750.00 per sq foot, which is crazy money

So what is the average in your opinion for a full lot and half?

Old Post 03-30-2017 10:10 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by roopi

So what is the average in your opinion for a full lot and half?

Jordans just talking about building prices.
50 foot lots around $550k to $600.
So roughly $300 per side for a duplex plus the building, which is about $250/sq ft or $400-450k, for a total of around $750k, per side.

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:04 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Might be a bit of a stretch to say "most" spend more... it would obviously depend on where the house is built. I could believe it if it's in a baller area, but $450/sq ft just off 16th Ave in Rosedale (nowhere near the ridge) sounds like overkill.

To put it another way, at $450/sq ft on a full lot they'll spend between $1.5M to $1.8M just on the build, which is 2.5-3x land value... doesn't sound like a great investment to me.

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:12 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RX_EVOLV
First Gear

What I drive: '16 Golf R:.
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Good conversation.

I'm currently living on an 36' inner city lot with a century home and thinking about tearing it down and building a new one in the new few years. Good to know what the build rate is right now..

Edit: actually a few questions for you guys:

Typically how much does it cost to build an extension? Right now I have a fairly narrow house (e.g one that would fit an infill) but on a 36' lot, so 1/3 of my lot is empty.. how much would it cost to extend it so I can fully utilize the lot?

How big of a house can I build on a 36' lot?

Last edited by RX_EVOLV on 03-30-2017 at 11:49 PM

Old Post 03-30-2017 11:44 PM
RX_EVOLV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RX_EVOLV Click here to Send RX_EVOLV a Private Message Find more posts by RX_EVOLV Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)

quote:

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
Good conversation.

I'm currently living on an 36' inner city lot with a century home and thinking about tearing it down and building a new one in the new few years. Good to know what the build rate is right now..

Edit: actually a few questions for you guys:

Typically how much does it cost to build an extension? Right now I have a fairly narrow house (e.g one that would fit an infill) but on a 36' lot, so 1/3 of my lot is empty.. how much would it cost to extend it so I can fully utilize the lot?

How big of a house can I build on a 36' lot?

Depends on how deep your lot is. Typical allowable lot coverage is 45% as Jordan pointed out earlier. So if you're 36x120 then that's 4320x0.45 = 1944 sq ft coverage minus 400 sq ft garage leaves a footprint of 1544 sq ft for your house... 3000 sq ft for a 2 storey (or slightly smaller if you want a bigger garage).

I've gotten ballpark quotes of $300/sq ft to add, $150/sq ft to gut and update existing (not including updating exterior). Almost makes more sense just to tear down and rebuild. Would like to hear from our resident experts if these numbers are out to lunch.

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Old Post 03-31-2017 12:03 AM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roll_over
First Gear

What I drive: Can't driver because I'm legally blind
Posts/Day: 0.21
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Price I was throwing out was 400k per side + the cost of land then demolition is on top of that and whether there’s asbestos to deal with or not that price can go up another 10-20k.

At that price you’re looking at a bottom of the barrel, builder grade cookie cutter with little to no upgrades, laminate counters (quartz island), little to no pot lights, laminate floors, etc.

Most duplexes that we have built start at around $750k per side when everything is all said and done.

Old Post 03-31-2017 02:33 AM
roll_over is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roll_over Click here to Send roll_over a Private Message Find more posts by roll_over Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KappaSigma

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Id be curious if anyone has done 5 story multi family developments? Land is being rezoned and my neighbour and i want to JV our land and build a 16 unit condo building.

Old Post 03-31-2017 12:12 PM
KappaSigma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KappaSigma Click here to Send KappaSigma a Private Message Find more posts by KappaSigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
you&me
First Gear

What I drive: A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I'm doing one now (SFD, 50 foot lot), just below 16th Ave on 6a street NW where the building is $450/sq ft. That does not include lot price. The old house was bought for $600k and demolished.

That $450 per foot is maybe (maybe! but doubtful...) their all-in calculated ASKING price (based on the build, not including the lot)... There is no way a builder is building to that spec / at their cost in that area... $450 * 2,800 sf (above grade) + $600k lot = $1,860,000... There's not much left for the builder at that level, in that area...

I know your place is nice, but $520/ft seems quite high... Did that have something to do with extra excavation for the under-drive garage, etc? I know the builder and the buyer of a property a couple blocks north of your place. Based on above grade finished space (even though the basement was finished), the builder's cost and the buyer's all-in price (including GST) straddled $400/ft. This includes every top-of-the-line finish you could think of down to the elevator, appliances, etc... $750/ft is obscene!

I'm sure if you approach a builder with a $400 (or $520, or $750) psf budget, they'll be happy to oblige... That said, for a typical infill based on some sort of JV with the builder, ~$250/ft should be a healthy target.

Last edited by you&me on 03-31-2017 at 11:50 PM

Old Post 03-31-2017 11:45 PM
you&me is offline Click Here to See the Profile for you&me Click here to Send you&me a Private Message Find more posts by you&me Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by you&me

That $450 per foot is maybe (maybe! but doubtful...) their all-in calculated ASKING price (based on the build, not including the lot)... There is no way a builder is building to that spec / at their cost in that area... $450 * 2,800 sf (above grade) + $600k lot = $1,860,000... There's not much left for the builder at that level, in that area...

That's what it is costing the homeowner. Custom build, it's not a spec.
It's not for any resale value. Their dream home.

Old Post 04-01-2017 02:40 AM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:12 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Anyone ever work with a builder on an infill?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: