Quantcast
Anyone ever work with a builder on an infill? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone ever work with a builder on an infill?

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I'm doing one now (SFD, 50 foot lot), just below 16th Ave on 6a street NW where the building is $450/sq ft. That does not include lot price. The old house was bought for $600k and demolished.
    $450/sq ft. I don't think you can compare this to the average/norm. These guys should have hired a Kijiji tiler and cut that cost down.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by roopi

$450/sq ft. I don't think you can compare this to the average/norm. These guys should have hired a Kijiji tiler and cut that cost down.
    LOL....Most spend more if they are building on a full lot...I want to say I spent 520 or so per sq foot...I have seen in excess of 750.00 per sq foot, which is crazy money

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Originally posted by JordanLotoski

LOL....Most spend more if they are building on a full lot...I want to say I spent 520 or so per sq foot...I have seen in excess of 750.00 per sq foot, which is crazy money
    So what is the average in your opinion for a full lot and half?

Originally posted by roopi

So what is the average in your opinion for a full lot and half?
    Jordans just talking about building prices.
    50 foot lots around $550k to $600.
    So roughly $300 per side for a duplex plus the building, which is about $250/sq ft or $400-450k, for a total of around $750k, per side.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Might be a bit of a stretch to say "most" spend more... it would obviously depend on where the house is built. I could believe it if it's in a baller area, but $450/sq ft just off 16th Ave in Rosedale (nowhere near the ridge) sounds like overkill.

To put it another way, at $450/sq ft on a full lot they'll spend between $1.5M to $1.8M just on the build, which is 2.5-3x land value... doesn't sound like a great investment to me.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Good conversation.

I'm currently living on an 36' inner city lot with a century home and thinking about tearing it down and building a new one in the new few years. Good to know what the build rate is right now..

Edit: actually a few questions for you guys:

Typically how much does it cost to build an extension? Right now I have a fairly narrow house (e.g one that would fit an infill) but on a 36' lot, so 1/3 of my lot is empty.. how much would it cost to extend it so I can fully utilize the lot?

How big of a house can I build on a 36' lot?
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 03-30-2017 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    Good conversation.

I'm currently living on an 36' inner city lot with a century home and thinking about tearing it down and building a new one in the new few years. Good to know what the build rate is right now..

Edit: actually a few questions for you guys:

Typically how much does it cost to build an extension? Right now I have a fairly narrow house (e.g one that would fit an infill) but on a 36' lot, so 1/3 of my lot is empty.. how much would it cost to extend it so I can fully utilize the lot?

How big of a house can I build on a 36' lot?
    Depends on how deep your lot is. Typical allowable lot coverage is 45% as Jordan pointed out earlier. So if you're 36x120 then that's 4320x0.45 = 1944 sq ft coverage minus 400 sq ft garage leaves a footprint of 1544 sq ft for your house... 3000 sq ft for a 2 storey (or slightly smaller if you want a bigger garage).

I've gotten ballpark quotes of $300/sq ft to add, $150/sq ft to gut and update existing (not including updating exterior). Almost makes more sense just to tear down and rebuild. Would like to hear from our resident experts if these numbers are out to lunch.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Price I was throwing out was 400k per side + the cost of land then demolition is on top of that and whether there’s asbestos to deal with or not that price can go up another 10-20k.

At that price you’re looking at a bottom of the barrel, builder grade cookie cutter with little to no upgrades, laminate counters (quartz island), little to no pot lights, laminate floors, etc.

Most duplexes that we have built start at around $750k per side when everything is all said and done.

Id be curious if anyone has done 5 story multi family developments? Land is being rezoned and my neighbour and i want to JV our land and build a 16 unit condo building.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    I'm doing one now (SFD, 50 foot lot), just below 16th Ave on 6a street NW where the building is $450/sq ft. That does not include lot price. The old house was bought for $600k and demolished.
    That $450 per foot is maybe (maybe! but doubtful...) their all-in calculated ASKING price (based on the build, not including the lot)... There is no way a builder is building to that spec / at their cost in that area... $450 * 2,800 sf (above grade) + $600k lot = $1,860,000... There's not much left for the builder at that level, in that area...

I know your place is nice, but $520/ft seems quite high... Did that have something to do with extra excavation for the under-drive garage, etc? I know the builder and the buyer of a property a couple blocks north of your place. Based on above grade finished space (even though the basement was finished), the builder's cost and the buyer's all-in price (including GST) straddled $400/ft. This includes every top-of-the-line finish you could think of down to the elevator, appliances, etc... $750/ft is obscene!

I'm sure if you approach a builder with a $400 (or $520, or $750) psf budget, they'll be happy to oblige... That said, for a typical infill based on some sort of JV with the builder, ~$250/ft should be a healthy target.
    Last edited by you&me; 03-31-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Originally posted by you&me

That $450 per foot is maybe (maybe! but doubtful...) their all-in calculated ASKING price (based on the build, not including the lot)... There is no way a builder is building to that spec / at their cost in that area... $450 * 2,800 sf (above grade) + $600k lot = $1,860,000... There's not much left for the builder at that level, in that area...

That's what it is costing the homeowner. Custom build, it's not a spec.
    It's not for any resale value. Their dream home.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

So the Mrs and I decided that we are going to need a slightly bigger or more functional home in the near future as we expand our family. We currently live in a century home in Mount Pleasant that's in decent condition (updated plumbing + electrical + renovated ~ 20 years ago) but not too efficient (No washroom on main floor, no room for a dining table for >4, narrow stair case, outdated kitchen).

The three obvious options are

1) Move to a bigger house - Not my preference because I love my location (Mount Pleasant) and I don't want to move.

2) Tear down my century home and rebuilt - Probably can't afford to do this if it's ~$700K

3) Build extensions + full renovate - My preference since I definitly have the land space (an infill house on a 36' lot) and probably way cheaper than a tear-down.

I want to get some actual cost around Option 2 and 3 before we decide. Do you guys have any recommendations for builders that I can contact and get some quotes from, especially for option #3? And if you guys have any advise on #3 it would be much appreciated as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2