Quantcast
Anyone getting AMD Ryzen? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Anyone getting AMD Ryzen?

I currently have a FX-6300 which I got for like $100 4-5 years ago. What would be the correct replacement for this one? R5?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by b_t

There's always quirks on the software side to consider too, or with motherboard implementations of various things... I still have a lot of reading to do, but I'm not sure if there are any Thunderbolt bolts for Ryzen yet, for example.

I'm still months away from a new build anyway. I'll let other people experiment first and if it looks like stability is good, I'll make the jump. Then I'll move my gaming computer downstairs where the big screen and theater is so I can use my good setup more
    The question is if Intel will license Thunderbolt to rival chipset/cpu.

I think not.

Originally posted by Escape
    I currently have a FX-6300 which I got for like $100 4-5 years ago. What would be the correct replacement for this one? R5?
    R3 or R5

But if you don't want to wait, a Kaby Lake Pentium is pretty good lateral move and pretty much same price range.

If you want to wait, may be R5 will bring in better bang for bucks than a Pentium.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Originally posted by b_t

There's always quirks on the software side to consider too, or with motherboard implementations of various things... I still have a lot of reading to do, but I'm not sure if there are any Thunderbolt bolts for Ryzen yet, for example.

I'm still months away from a new build anyway. I'll let other people experiment first and if it looks like stability is good, I'll make the jump. Then I'll move my gaming computer downstairs where the big screen and theater is so I can use my good setup more
    Yeah reports are starting to come in that benchmark results have improved by as much as 25% just from the new Bioses. The Asus Crosshair Hero IV in particular was especially problematic, and that's the one that got sent out in all the press kits. Bit of a rushed release it seems, but it's already improving dramatically. Architecturally, there is nothing holding the CPU back at all.

Lots of rumors floating around too that Apple will be using Ryzen in their MacBook pro which would presumably be a huge contract for them. Performance per watt Ryzen blows Intel out of the water which is likely why it's a good choice for notebooks.

My brother already has an1800X installed, we'll be testing it out tomorrow.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Lots of rumors floating around too that Apple will be using Ryzen in their MacBook pro which would presumably be a huge contract for them. Performance per watt Ryzen blows Intel out of the water which is likely why it's a good choice for notebooks.
    Unless MacBook Pro all comes with discrete graphic chip (right now a lot of them are using Intel HD Graphics), it's tough to make the move.

But it AMD low ball enough and throw in some Vega 11 GPU with it, I don't see why not.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Unless MacBook Pro all comes with discrete graphic chip (right now a lot of them are using Intel HD Graphics), it's tough to make the move.

But it AMD low ball enough and throw in some Vega 11 GPU with it, I don't see why not.
    The MBP are a joke right now, you can't even get more than 16GB of slow RAM, are plagued with battery life issues, and you can spec them out as high as $5,300 without any useful ports. They need a refresh which rumors suggest is coming soon. I suspect AMD will offer very competitive pricing to Apple to get their name on the Macbook if they can. They are already using Polaris GPUs.

OC'd the 1800X to 4.1 on all cores today, stable & cool, took about 3 minutes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3