Quantcast
anyone here have a sodastream? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone here have a sodastream?

Default anyone here have a sodastream?

So, the wife got me a sodastream for Christmas as I don't like drinking water (and she wants me to drink more). If it's bubbly then I'll drink it or if it has a little flavour I'll drink it. I'm really liking the sodastream and by making my water bubbly and adding a few drops of the fruit flavouring I am already drinking a lot more. Now, I'm all for saving the environment by not buying any more perrier's and all that but I was looking into the costs of getting new CO2 cartridges for the thing and it is a complete rip off! Sodastream has a wonderful scam going on with this device by forcing their customers on their "CO2 exchange" program...

Does anyone here have a sodastream and if you do, do you refill your own CO2 or know how/where to get them refilled?

And yes, I have tried googling it and seen all the "do it yourself" video's, but I'm to lazy to do what I've seen...I'd rather pay someone local who has already done the work than sodastream.

Thanks!
    Last edited by awolxxx; 01-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Try calling Praxair?

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

Wow, that's expensive! I'd say check out these guys.

http://co2doctor.com/productselector.htm

Because those soda stream tanks have kind of odd threads on them you would have two options

1) Buy a fill station and buy/rent a siphon CO2 tank from a place like praxair to fill your tank yourself.

2) Buy an adapter kit that allows you to hook up a different CO2 tank such as the ones used on paintball guns.

Option 2 is probably your best bet. You will be on the hook for a new CO2 tank ($40-60) and the cost of the adapter kit but then you can just take it to a paintball field (e.g. rampage paintball) and have it filled for closer to $5.

Option 1 would be less hassle once you get it set up but keep in mind renting a 20LB tank from a place like praxair is maybe an extra $10-15/month so you might not save that much in the end, plus you should really have a scale to weigh your bottles.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Drinking carbonated water all day can't be good for you. Your dentist is gonna like you.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Drinking carbonated water all day can't be good for you. Your dentist is gonna like you.
    What's wrong with water with CO2 bubbles in it?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by sputnik

What's wrong with water with CO2 bubbles in it?
    All the tiny little explosions from the bubbles popping will crater your tooth enamel. It'll look like a minefield in there by years end. Also, in the long term, increased exposure will have an irreversible affect on the internal temperature of your mouth.

But yes, on a serious note, as said below it is acidic. Not sure how much you would have to ingest to cause damage.....
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 01-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Carbonated drinks are acidic if I'm not mistaken.

Orange juice is more acidic than carbonated drinks. If I was bathing my teeth in carbonated water all day, then yes, the carbonic acid would eat away my enamel. The times I'm not drinking, my saliva is repairing the damage (probably not as much as being stripped off by the acid, but so far my dentist hasn't made any comments).

'93 SR-V, I think you missed the part where I said I was lazy. I would rather find someone in Calgary (prefer if it was in the NW) that has already done all the work (CO2doctor setup) and pay him/her some money to refill my tanks.

I have family in Moncton New Brunswick who has had a sodastream for over a year and they found someone local who refills their tanks for them for $5 a tank (I think they know the person so he probably gives them a deal).

My Ride
    6.2L V8

You won't drink any liquid unless its got little fizzy bubbles in it? This is the kind of shit that makes me wonder how man made it this far.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by CMW403
    You won't drink any liquid unless its got little fizzy bubbles in it? This is the kind of shit that makes me wonder how man made it this far.

OP, is this how you expect your dinner?

Originally posted by lilmira
    Carbonated drinks are acidic if I'm not mistaken.
    yup!

C02 +H20= H2CO3 (carbonic acid which is pretty corrosive)

That aside though, I have started buying carbonated water, it fills you up and is WAY better than pop. But this doesn't replace regular water in my diet, I still drink 4+ liters a day to keep from packing on water weight.

OP not that this is related to your question at all but to kind of echo what other people are saying you are probably chronically dehydrated and should try as hard as you can to introduce some water into your day haha.

Back to regular programming...

This seems like a lot of work, but not buying 8g chargers for a soda syphon pays off when you only refill 20lbs tanks http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...ays-For-Itsel/

If I wasn't lazy I'd try this myself.

My Ride
    g2 teg

balls up and drink water.

Damn, OP just cost me $130 LOL.

Ended up ordering this http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=247

Just recharge the tank at your local welding shop.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I don't find I go thru that many CO2 cannisters to be bothered by spending the $20 for exchange. I have 2 on hand, and those last me months. It would be nice if they hadn't gotten rid of the 110L capacity ones for the 60L variety
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Long story short, KegConnection denied my promo code for free shipping so I cancelled my order.

Now I'm determined to make my own. Today I went to Canadian Tire and bought some tubeless valve for $4.89. I drilled holes into some Coke bottle caps and pressed the valves in. Put in some cold tap water, tightened the caps and used my air compressor to pressurize the bottle, shook it and it worked like a charm. Of course it didn't work as well as with pure CO2, but it served as a proof of concept before I buy the expensive tank and regulator.

Fucking first world problems man.

I don't like drinking water (you know, not like it's the life blood of existance or anything) so I make it carbonated... In which I turn something that is good for me bad.

I drink a lot of coffee at work (maybe 3 cups in the day) but fuck do I pound back water. Water is delicious, no clue why you need it carbonated.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by Spoons
    Fucking first world problems man.

I don't like drinking water (you know, not like it's the life blood of existance or anything) so I make it carbonated... In which I turn something that is good for me bad.

I drink a lot of coffee at work (maybe 3 cups in the day) but fuck do I pound back water. Water is delicious, no clue why you need it carbonated.
    You're amazing
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by Spoons
    make it carbonated... In which I turn something that is good for me bad.
    While I completely agree with the sentiment of your post, this sentence deserves a [citation needed].

Wow, I didn't realize so many people are worried about my health.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast