Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads?

Author
Thread
tonytiger55

What I drive: Old Honda
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Hell ya...
The Glenmore to Deerfoot South.. I was like... is this road getting wider..?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:00 PM
tonytiger55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tonytiger55 Click here to Send tonytiger55 a Private Message Find more posts by tonytiger55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
The fact is, roads can be built that withstand frost heaving and don't fall apart in two years. We don't because our politicians are corrupt and only do what is necessary for their self interests

The city has a page that talks about permeable pavement.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pag...e-pavement.aspx

The problem is that storm water control gets pretty elaborate and expensive with this setup. There would be no storm drains, and drainage has to be handled down the entire length of road. The shit is magic though, it actually improves safety in wet/snow conditions because water doesn't stay on the asphalt.

Imagine all that drainage work down the entire length of deerfoot. Then there's the load factor, it's just not designed for any large loads which requires much shorter repaving durations. There's a reason why nobody does this.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:16 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.29
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

No, Im referencing standard road building practices in general. There is a significant difference between a shit job and a good job with road base prep, and it has a substantial affect on road longevity.

By going with the lowest bidder, we get the poor prep and therefore shit roads that we do.

That doesnt mean the road wont heave at all, that is pretty difficult to deal with. But its not magic that some roads last longer than others.

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:45 PM
HiTempguy1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heavyD
Fifth Gear

What I drive: MK7 Golf R
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

No, Im referencing standard road building practices in general. There is a significant difference between a shit job and a good job with road base prep, and it has a substantial affect on road longevity.

By going with the lowest bidder, we get the poor prep and therefore shit roads that we do.

That doesnt mean the road wont heave at all, that is pretty difficult to deal with. But its not magic that some roads last longer than others.

I imagine that a priority of paving is to get it done as quick as possible so traffic is not overly inconvenienced for a long period of time.

If anyone has gone back and forth between Calgary and Edmonton over the years would know Edmonton roads have always been worse. This spring though it feels like driving around in Edmonton.

Last edited by heavyD on 04-19-2017 at 07:51 PM

Old Post 04-19-2017 07:48 PM
heavyD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heavyD Click here to Send heavyD a Private Message Find more posts by heavyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Then there is Winnpeg roads .....

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:02 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

I haven't noticed anything worse than before.

There is a bad spot in the middle lane on WB Crow after Sarcee. It's there every year.

There was a bumpy spot on EB Crow by Shag before but it seems to be fine this year.

Compare to Montreal or Winnipeg roads, we have race track condition here.

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:08 PM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Word...catch some air

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:15 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.29

quote:

Originally posted by heavyD

I imagine that a priority of paving is to get it done as quick as possible so traffic is not overly inconvenienced for a long period of time.

If anyone has gone back and forth between Calgary and Edmonton over the years would know Edmonton roads have always been worse. This spring though it feels like driving around in Edmonton.

I don't know or can speak to either cities' decision making process. Either way, its frigging awful.

What I do know is that clearly there are certain companies that roads hold up better than other companies

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:16 PM
HiTempguy1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Deerfoot under stoney in the deep South is so bad the reduced the speed limit

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:25 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

I don't know or can speak to either cities' decision making process. Either way, its frigging awful.

What I do know is that clearly there are certain companies that roads hold up better than other companies

I don't know if it's that simple. The max frost depth is something like 7ft in Calgary. It's a huge undertaking to make the roads frost resistant. I remember they did this on the street I grew up on due to the massive heaves that would regularly destroy the street. I believe it was over a month we couldn't use the street.

There are 16,000kms of paved roadway in Calgary. With limited budget you probably end up with the decision each year of doing a quick fix on a large area or a full fix on a very small area.

People always talk about how simple it is to run a city

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:28 PM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Originally posted by rx7boi
Is there a way to call these in or don't bother at all because the city doesn't care?

I just submitted one through 311 online, we'll see how fast that goes nowhere. My poor car is getting worn down from off-roading to work

Old Post 04-19-2017 08:43 PM
Swank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
There are 16,000kms of paved roadway in Calgary. With limited budget you probably end up with the decision each year of doing a quick fix on a large area or a full fix on a very small area.

So let's send 50 crews, each to fix 200m of road, and have each construction project take 6 months.

Seriously, how do you let construction take down a major 4 lane artery down to 2 lanes for an entire year at a time...
(I lived through the addition of bus express lanes on Center St N at McKnight. My 20min bus ride became 40+ each way)

Every single construction project in Calgary

Last edited by jwslam on 04-19-2017 at 10:22 PM

Old Post 04-19-2017 10:18 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

Originally posted by J-hop
People always talk about how simple it is to run a city

Thanks Maxis!

Old Post 04-19-2017 10:54 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

Originally posted by Swank

I just submitted one through 311 online, we'll see how fast that goes nowhere. My poor car is getting worn down from off-roading to work

All I hear is taxes going up... more requests... need more road crews.

Old Post 04-19-2017 11:11 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Feruk

What I drive: G6
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

I'm worried about starting to bike and how quickly I'll pop a tire. You could say our roads are... not all they're cracked up to be.

Old Post 04-20-2017 03:38 PM
Feruk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feruk Click here to Send Feruk a Private Message Find more posts by Feruk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
90_Shelby
First Gear

What I drive: Volvo, V-Wagon
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Originally posted by Swank

A previously owned vehicle was lowered and a little rough riding on the drive home with the bad roads. I had every pot hole fixed on my regular route through 311. The app wasn't around back then so I'd call them in.

Old Post 04-20-2017 11:27 PM
90_Shelby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 90_Shelby Click here to Send 90_Shelby a Private Message Find more posts by 90_Shelby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
b_t
b_t is a huge fag

What I drive: FC3S 10AE / Tacoma
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

So let's send 50 crews, each to fix 200m of road, and have each construction project take 6 months.

Seriously, how do you let construction take down a major 4 lane artery down to 2 lanes for an entire year at a time...
(I lived through the addition of bus express lanes on Center St N at McKnight. My 20min bus ride became 40+ each way)

Every single construction project in Calgary

I was not aware that Calgary had the infinite money you'd need to do this.

Your 50 crews would also repair only 10 kilometers of road when all is said and done. That's 0.000625% of all the roads in Calgary. At the rate you describe it'd take 800 years to fix all the roads.

Are you just the smartest guy alive or what

Old Post 04-20-2017 11:51 PM
b_t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for b_t Click here to Send b_t a Private Message Find more posts by b_t Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39

quote:

Yea there is waste on city crews for sure but to think it's a "simple fix" shows a complete ignorance to the complexity of running a city.

Funny because when do these conversations usually come up? While people are doggin it over a coffee/cig break

Old Post 04-21-2017 12:44 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Originally posted by b_t
I was not aware that Calgary had the infinite money you'd need to do this.

Your 50 crews would also repair only 10 kilometers of road when all is said and done. That's 0.000625% of all the roads in Calgary. At the rate you describe it'd take 800 years to fix all the roads.

Are you just the smartest guy alive or what

Where is the sarcasm font when you need it.

Old Post 04-21-2017 12:50 AM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
b_t
b_t is a huge fag

What I drive: FC3S 10AE / Tacoma
Posts/Day: 0.63
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Where is the sarcasm font when you need it.

internet sarcasm is a dangerous game man

if you are posting after HiTempGuy you gotta use the /s cuz once the wingnuts on here get going it's hard to judge what's a real opinion, what's jokes, and what is just craziness

Old Post 04-21-2017 01:02 AM
b_t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for b_t Click here to Send b_t a Private Message Find more posts by b_t Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:30 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Anyone notice all the cracks forming in Calgary roads?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: