Quantcast
Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary?

My Ride
    XT6

Sushi club was my go to place not sure why they closed...?

Wa's is a close second.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

what do you legit sushi eaters think of Koto downtown? They seem pretty good to my white-guy palate. Some of the jumbo rolls are overdone with sauces, but the smaller rolls and individual pieces seem great. I work pretty close to there, so it's my go-to for lunch.

Wa's is good food, but not something I would suggest if you are looking for an "experience".
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have had a bunch of dates at Zipang, everyone loves it from the girls serving, the food, to the guys saying goodbye at the end as you walk out. Brownie points with the reserved window table

I've been to Sukiyaki House a few times now and everytime I go I find it pretty meh. Either it's the fusion thing I don't like or something about the fish or rice but the combination just doesn't do it for me.

Best sushi I've said so far was this little hole in the wall in Vancouver - I think in Gastown. Was downstairs in a mall Not only was it extremely good, the portions were huge and the price was shockingly low. Then again we get hosed pretty bad on seafood here.

Also there is an oyster bar in Yaletown that has their weekly specials. So cheap and so delicious!
    Ultracrepidarian

BIG SHOUT OUT TO EVERYONE!

I joined this website 10 years ago when I couldn't even drive and to not post very often and get this sort of feedback is absolutely incredible. You people are awesome. I really appreciate all the responses and those dropping knowledge.

It's certainly more about the food than anything. My girlfriend and I don't need certain decor or anything to have a good time, I just would like as many things to add to her birthday as possible you know. No matter where I pick I look forward to trying all the suggestions in the future.

We often end up at Globefish at Chinook for lunch. It's always consistent and I'm addicted to their "Crimson River". There's a lot done to it so let's not talk authentic, but I truly enjoy salmon or tuna sashimi as well. Hopefully I'm not eating the farmed stuff!

Can anyone remember the name of the little sushi joint in the strip mall at Richmond and 37 street SW? I've only been their once and ate "nigiri" sushi. Their eel was pleasant and both their octopus and squid were really delicious and melted in your mouth, not rubbery at all. Their rolls on the other hand were too big and not well assembled.

Thanks again!!

So when are posting pics of the GF to thank everyone?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by bosa

Can anyone remember the name of the little sushi joint in the strip mall at Richmond and 37 street SW? I've only been their once and ate "nigiri" sushi. Their eel was pleasant and both their octopus and squid were really delicious and melted in your mouth, not rubbery at all. Their rolls on the other hand were too big and not well assembled.

Thanks again!!
    Momo-Yama?

My Ride
    Ram

hmm sushi for me goes in this order

Zipang
    Blowfish
    Koto
    Red Ember

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Ever since I moved to Aspen I get my sushi from Haru's or Misato's.
    Both Korean run joints, of course you'd like it haha :P

Not a major fan of either place for their sushi because the fish isn't cut right (at least to what I expect in my mind, I'm no expert) or it's too cold/frozen. Both places have decent rolls though when I just don't feel like going far and I have a craving.

I go to Misato for their Kalbi and Nabeyaki udon more so than their sushi.

Best sushi joint in town I think was Sushi Club, it was consistent. I also enjoy Zipang as well. Funny enough, while I find these two places have the best sushi I rarely go to them. I find while it's better than most places, it's not THAT much better to warrant driving so far.
    ---

Wa's is delicious.
    Big Catch was pretty good, I tried it last Friday. It is in the Kingsland Market.

Originally posted by ercchry
    this thread is hilarious

first off... this: "I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi" ...is an oxymoron. authentic sushi is NOT fresh. fresh fish doesnt have time to build any flavor

also rice wine... with rice? no... sake is not to be enjoyed WITH the sushi

zipang gets my vote for most authentic

but just from your lack of experience i would say do sukiyaki house on 9th ave. that will probably be more enjoyable. the vibe will be more "romantic" than zipang. zipang is more like a sushi bar that a westernized sushi restaurant

i cant recommend blowfish any more... but it USE to be a really good fusion joint, ubu... again really good fusion. but the service is by far the worst

you watching Anthony Bourdain the other night too?
    Wow you're just a know-it-all aren't you lol

Had SASHIMI in Tofino one time, and I dunno what the hell you're talking about because those scallops that were in the ocean less than 24 hrs earlier, were pretty damn flavorful. I've also caught and ate mackerel within 5 minutes of each other right on a dock in NS, once again had quite a bit of flavor.

And is there a law written somewhere that you cannot have sake with your sushi/sashimi? Because I thoroughly enjoy warm sake with my sushi/sashimi and I'm reasonably confident I'm not the only one.

Towa and Shibuya get my vote, although Shibuya has a shitty parking lot lol

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by rage2
    Sushi Club closed down 2 weeks ago.
    Came into this thread to post this.

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
    Sushi club was my go to place not sure why they closed...?

Wa's is a close second.
    Closed because the chef had a shoulder injury and didn't trust anyone else to maintain the quality of food.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Yume isn't too bad
    The North location started out okay, but went downhill pretty fast. Sakura Sushi Japan is much better for cheapish sushi in the NW.

Still looking for something to fill the void left by Sushi Club closing... Zipang is pretty close (I prefer it to Wa's), but it's still not quite as good.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by heavyfuel

Wow you're just a know-it-all aren't you lol

Had SASHIMI in Tofino one time, and I dunno what the hell you're talking about because those scallops that were in the ocean less than 24 hrs earlier, were pretty damn flavorful. I've also caught and ate mackerel within 5 minutes of each other right on a dock in NS, once again had quite a bit of flavor.

And is there a law written somewhere that you cannot have sake with your sushi/sashimi? Because I thoroughly enjoy warm sake with my sushi/sashimi and I'm reasonably confident I'm not the only one.

Towa and Shibuya get my vote, although Shibuya has a shitty parking lot lol
    authentic and what people in NA have grown accustom to are two different things... its like saying "OMG! chinese food? i love ginger beef!" then getting taken for dim sum and hating everything on the menu

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by kenny

Both Korean run joints, of course you'd like it haha :P

Not a major fan of either place for their sushi because the fish isn't cut right (at least to what I expect in my mind, I'm no expert) or it's too cold/frozen. Both places have decent rolls though when I just don't feel like going far and I have a craving.

I go to Misato for their Kalbi and Nabeyaki udon more so than their sushi.

Best sushi joint in town I think was Sushi Club, it was consistent. I also enjoy Zipang as well. Funny enough, while I find these two places have the best sushi I rarely go to them. I find while it's better than most places, it's not THAT much better to warrant driving so far.
    Japanese/Korean, they look the same to me...haha.

Have you had the Tofu at Haru's? Its really good.

The fish I enjoy most is Fatty Tuna.

I do like the chopped scallop with spicey mayo.

My daughter prefers Salmon, but also enjoys the Tuna.

My son loves the rolls and Tofu but won't eat the raw stuff yet.

My Wife doesn't like any raw stuff, just rolls, haha. She's about as white as you get for a Korean, haha.

Calgary isn't exactly a city that produces any real high end sushi restaurants.

I would say Sushi Club was the best.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by ercchry

authentic and what people in NA have grown accustom to are two different things... its like saying "OMG! chinese food? i love ginger beef!" then getting taken for dim sum and hating everything on the menu
    Dimsum is where it's at! Mmm, chicken feet...

Fun fact: Dim sum is also called 'Yum Cha' (forgot what the translation is; something with tea).

I learned that the hard way in Australia when I was looking for a dimsum place and my cousins didn't know what I was talking about until I explained the concept,

"Yum Cha? Dafuq is that?"

EDIT: "Yum Cha" is the event while "Dim Sum" are the dishes you eat in the event. At least, that's how they explained it to me...

Last edited by flipstah; 11-13-2013 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

flip, when did you become so Chinese?

yum cha = drink tea
    dim sum = touch the heart

Back on topic, I like Zipang for the nigiri, but rolls are terrible there so I don't bother with them anymore.

Also, don't even bother going to El's Fusion. They kept a similar menu, but the owners changed. And the new owners put that menu to shame.. So sad..
    Last edited by Disoblige; 11-13-2013 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    Pipe

Surprised that no one has mentioned Sushi Hiro. By far the longest running sushi joint in Calgary. Been around for around 30 years and has been run by the same guy and his familty during this time. He has been training his son for the last 10 years and eventually he will take it over.

The head sushi chefs at many of the sushi restaurants that have been mentioned in this thread worked at Sushi Hiro and were trained by Hiro.

I have been to every one of the sushi places referenced in this thread and the most authentic restaurant you will find is Sushi Hiro. Go there on most nights and you will see old Japanese people eating there (as a white guy, this is my baraometer of an authentic asian restaurant).

Quality of the fish is on par with any other top restuarant.

If you are looking for a romantic setting there are booths (low table japanese style tables where you have to take your shoes off) that offer more privacy at the back of the restaurant.

The upkeep of the restaurant is as good as any other Sushi restaurants and the bathrooms are always fresh and clean. Something that many of the other referenced restaurants do not offer.

Only thing that you may run into an issue with is order time. If you sit in one of hte booths at the rear of the restaurant be prepared for a 45 - 1h our long meal.

If you want to be in an out of there quickly, sit at the sushi bar. You can get your order in immediately. I have been in an out of there in 10-15 minutes before. As quick or quicker than anything other than the boat at Kinjo.

I highly recommend you check it out.

My Ride
    rally pig

Havent been to Sushi Hiro in years but yes a lot of old Japanese men go there.
    I think they are closed on weekends, especially Sunday night.

one of my favorite Sushi place was Reiko Sushi in Bankers Hall but I don't know why they closed down.

Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
    Surprised that no one has mentioned Sushi Hiro.
    When you have eaten sushi in Japan and Hawaii, its hard to have some good sushi locally. Thanks for pointing this out, I will go there later this week.

My Ride
    Ram

Sushi hiro is not as good as it used to be after the son took over

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Strider
    Closed because the chef had a shoulder injury and didn't trust anyone else to maintain the quality of food.
    Yea, really sucks. I've known Koki since I was 15 when I was a busboy at the original Sukiyaki House. Koki's trained a shit ton of sushi chefs in this city, my cousins and friends were all trained by him over the years.

I tried to go to their last day of opening, but it was booked solid.
    Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
    Surprised that no one has mentioned Sushi Hiro. By far the longest running sushi joint in Calgary. Been around for around 30 years and has been run by the same guy and his familty during this time. He has been training his son for the last 10 years and eventually he will take it over.
    I work 2 blocks from them, and I've stopped going. They've really gone downhill over the last few years. You can probably look up sushi hiro posts on beyond to see when I started ranting about their quality going down.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast