Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > boy cars are quick

Author
Thread
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Do you have a build/buy thread somewhere? I completely missed when you bought an M3.

Your posts had been confusing me lately, I kept thinking you were talking about your tired ol' luxury beater on bags, haha.

I guess there was this?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/401229/w...e-to-live-with/

And that old Lexus was on coils for like 2 or 3 years, was an amazing stealthy hwy car

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-12-2017 08:47 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry

I guess there was this?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/401229/w...e-to-live-with/

And that old Lexus was on coils for like 2 or 3 years, was an amazing stealthy hwy car

Oh nice buy man!

Although it looks downright sensible in the photo, very un-ercchry like. Needs a wing with a lot of exposed bolts, or maybe a winch.

Old Post 05-12-2017 08:51 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

Oh nice buy man!

Although it looks downright sensible in the photo, very un-ercchry like. Needs a wing with a lot of exposed bolts, or maybe a winch.

I've never had either of those things

jimmy keeps trying to sell me kw coils... but I rather enjoy my edc and don't want to lose it

Favourite part of the car is that you can turn it into a race car with a push of a button on the fly, no stupid cheap codes or anything else... press the "m" and boom, aggressive throttle curve, stiffer dampening, and dsc off

Picked it up on the winters already, so only have had it on the PSSs for about a week now so having lots of fun

...it's also tuned now, only adds like 15whp, but the mid range feels better

Last edited by ercchry on 05-12-2017 at 09:17 PM

Old Post 05-12-2017 09:15 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

I've never had either of those things

jimmy keeps trying to sell me kw coils... but I rather enjoy my edc and don't want to lose it

Favourite part of the car is that you can turn it into a race car with a push of a button on the fly, no stupid cheap codes or anything else... press the "m" and boom, aggressive throttle curve, stiffer dampening, and dsc off

Picked it up on the winters already, so only have had it on the PSSs for about a week now so having lots of fun

...it's also tuned now, only adds like 15whp, but the mid range feels better

I'm very jealous of your new ride it's stick shift right? But I do think the 2 doors are sexier. 4 door is a little more practical though.

Very cool to pickup the last of the high rev NA V8 cars.

A buddy of mine lent me his E90 and it was a riot with the dual clutch. But I wanted to grab gears. Red leather interior on a black car is pure sex

Last edited by Hallowed_point on 05-12-2017 at 10:01 PM

Old Post 05-12-2017 09:57 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

Yeah, manual... 4dr because daily, it's a great balance of fun and practicality (ask flipstah how it handles in the winter with dsc off)

With tune it revs to 8700 now

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:00 PM
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.26
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Yeah, manual... 4dr because daily, it's a great balance of fun and practicality (ask flipstah how it handles in the winter with dsc off)

With tune it revs to 8700 now

They are such confident feeling cars for a lack of a better term. The feel of the steering/brakes and those factory seats are just great. That's mental. Hopefully those have good oil pumps to keep up! But that's a car that demands a track to really work it out. Isn't the mileage pretty terrible in the city?

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:03 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

If you want to feel anything remotely close to power, yes... 16-18L/100kms... but the thing doesn't bog so you can pretend it's a 328i and limp around at like 2k shifts and it's probably good? I wouldn't know... but on the highway it's surprisingly good, got stuck in a blizzard in the park once coming back from golden so was maybe doing 100km/h from about field to kananaskis but before and after that stretch was going a little faster and averaged about 10L/100kms

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:11 PM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

BMW has really figured out traction for RWD IMO

I still remember when the 1 series came out and they had a little AutoX tester playground for them. One of the things you got the try was burning out on loose gravel... with TC off, it was just a wild spin and no go. Then with TC on, it would launch like it was on a drag strip with zero drama. It was uncanny... to this day I don't think I have driven another brand of car that has this figured out as well as they do. Even with the highly touted torque vectoring on my FiST, it is a one wheel spinout queen.

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:44 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

Probably a different system on that car, I have full on, dynamic, and off... dynamic actually isn't too bad, if you hate your brake pads but full on is pretty intrusive, but the chassis is just so good full off is great

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:48 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Chatroom Manwhore

What I drive: 400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans
Posts/Day: 2.04
Trader Rating: (26)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by mr2mike
They went forced induction back in the early 80s for production vehicles. I'm assuming it was cut because most people don't maintain their vehicle and would run problems that cost way too much to repair.

Doesn't the BMW 335 motor have issues a few years down the road with carbon build up? Now guys are working on a way to clean that up cost effectively?

Guess we do run a more, use and dispose society now.

Injectors are now becoming an issue with these cars and unfortunately they cost a fortune.

With that being said many people in this thread back in the late 90s dumping thousands in their cars just to run high 14s.

Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Old Post 05-13-2017 09:26 PM
Redlyne_mr2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlyne_mr2 Click here to Send Redlyne_mr2 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlyne_mr2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
r3ccOs
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

going back to it... is that the new normal I think has been defined by mid-sized family cars with high output V6s thanks to the VQ

And then in 05, the MKV 2.0 TFSI engine also establishing a new stanard in usable torque which today is now fitted into more VAG platforms than anything

Don't get me wrong, there were lots of engines with turbo's like the WRX, SR20 in the Silvias etc.. which were very stout...

but it wasn't until engines with hnfinante variable valve timing, coupled to a well managed wastegate and the decision to compromise on high RPM hp (improving low/mid range power) with smaller turbos, which also spool faster due to better designs

add DI, and you can even pump up compression to the moon, so you don't completely run out of steam when a small K03 or GT25 turbo can't keep the PSI up.

have we seen almost all cars from the mid-20s to the low 40's 1/4 well under the 15 second range.

Also I think turbo's are just more consistent for power, driveability and fuel economy, especially when coupled to many geared PDK/DSG or heck even slushbox trannys

Today a riced out type R was reving around, and was passing everyone on the slow lane.

He tries to come out to pass me in the fast lane (where I was already doing 120 with traffic in front of me) and to be a bit of an "audi" douche, I just tapped the DSG 2 gears down and there was no way for him to keep up, especially at that speed.

goes to show what was considered a rare and relaitvely "fast" car in its era, vs... what is considered a ordinary and typical compact vehicle today

Old Post 05-14-2017 04:27 AM
r3ccOs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for r3ccOs Click here to Send r3ccOs a Private Message Find more posts by r3ccOs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sentry
Third Gear

What I drive: E39 M5, E39 540i wagon
Posts/Day: 0.83
Trader Rating: (20)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

An ITR on modern tires around a track would slay 90% of the cars it would lose a straight line race to. They were never horsepower champions.

Old Post 05-14-2017 05:23 AM
Sentry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sentry Click here to Send Sentry a Private Message Find more posts by Sentry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

Yeah modern engines are pretty amazing, my Q5 with the base 2.0T routinely walks away from big displacement vehicles on steep hills like nothing. Even on the extreme mountain pass hills in BC, it will just idle up them at well under 2000rpms while doing... um... the speed limit... yes... I'd never go over the speed limit.

Old Post 05-14-2017 05:33 AM
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Yeah modern engines are pretty amazing, my Q5 with the base 2.0T routinely walks away from big displacement vehicles on steep hills like nothing. Even on the extreme mountain pass hills in BC, it will just idle up them at well under 2000rpms while doing... um... the speed limit... yes... I'd never go over the speed limit.

Doesn't that have to do more with how large displacement engines are usually mated with 6-speed?

Old Post 05-15-2017 02:09 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

Doesn't that have to do more with how large displacement engines are usually mated with 6-speed?

If that... lots of cars that are not that old still have 4 speed auto's with an overdrive gear, haha

Transmissions play a part for sure, but I think the deep torque curves on these newer Turbo engines is also another part of the picture

I am still surprised how easily they walk away from other cars on big hills though, gearing can only take you so far and then it all comes down to raw power.

Old Post 05-15-2017 09:05 PM
The time now is 06:06 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > boy cars are quick

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: