Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Brad Lawson - BLaw Traffic Tickets - SCAM

Author
Thread
dexlargo

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by rinny
Keeping in mind that one can go on the first appearance date, talk to the JofP or CP, AND, if not satisfied with the outcome, file a Not Guilty plea which will then go to court.

At that later court date, one can also speak to the CP beforehand to see if they would settle anything before the claim goes to trial. They will offer some solution, and if you like it, you take it, and if not, you go to trial.

Keep in mind that if you speak to the crown on the first appearance date and he offers you a reduction and you reject it, the trial crown will have a record of what the reduction offered was, and likely won't offer a better reduction.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2009 11:04 PM
dexlargo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dexlargo Click here to Send dexlargo a Private Message Find more posts by dexlargo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

JGerke
Neutral

What I drive: 04 Acura TL
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

So I had no idea you were allowed to talk to a crown prosecuter before pleading not guilty and going to traffic court. By getting a court date have I waived my right to speak with the crown? Just learned about the CP from this thread....I was wondering what the ppl down the hallway were waiting for....

Old Post 10-21-2009 11:08 PM
JGerke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JGerke Click here to Send JGerke a Private Message Find more posts by JGerke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/108216/r...-it-read-first/

By getting a court date, I believe you have waived that and pleaded not guilty. I think that you could speak with the officer or something at the court date outside the court room and plead guilty to a lesser offence but maybe someone else can better explain it. When I did it, this was years ago and the officer approached me outside the court. I said, no and proceeded to plead the case to the crown.

Old Post 10-21-2009 11:20 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dexlargo

What I drive:

quote:

You can speak to the crown on the trial date. Arrive at court early to allow some time for this. Sometimes, the Crown will send the police officer out to speak to you and give the Crown's position on what they would be willing to allow you to plead to, and what the penalty they would ask for is. They send the police officer because they are incredibly busy in the courtroom. You will not do yourself a favor by sending the police officer away and demanding to speak to the crown. If there is additional information that you think the crown should have and might affect their offer, then that is something you could tell the police officer who would relay it to the crown. The crown would likely talk to you when there is a break in court.

Old Post 10-21-2009 11:37 PM
dexlargo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dexlargo Click here to Send dexlargo a Private Message Find more posts by dexlargo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dexlargo

What I drive:

quote:

(double post removed)

Old Post 10-21-2009 11:37 PM
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: 911 Turbo
Posts/Day: 2.01
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 125%

quote:

I don't think you can have your demerits completely removed. The CP told me it's minimum 2 demerits.

So if you have >2 demerit ticket, they'll reduce it to 2 and usually cut the fine in half as well. And they can extend your time to pay haha

The process is so simple, $25 is cheap as hell. If I was unemployed I would just advertise and take in 5-10 of these tickets a day, cash only. 5-10 tickets at $25-50 a pop is pretty sweet.

Only thing is, can you get in trouble from the CP in anyway? Like you go up to the counter initially to give your tickets to the lady at the window telling her you want to see the CP and hand her 10 tickets cause you are representing all these people haha and the CP keeps calling different names and you keep showing up? LOL

Originally posted by Env-Consultant
Step 1: Become a baller.

Step 2: ______________________________

Step 3: Do not worry about the cost due to the completion of Step 1.

Old Post 10-21-2009 11:54 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dexlargo

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by max_boost
can you get in trouble from the CP in anyway? Like you go up to the counter initially to give your tickets to the lady at the window telling her you want to see the CP and hand her 10 tickets cause you are representing all these people haha and the CP keeps calling different names and you keep showing up? LOL

No - bringing stuff for a bunch of people is fine. Just let the JP at the counter know that you're an agent and give her the list of all of the tickets that you are appearing on. Then they'll call all of the matters at once and you can go through them at the same time. You might even be able to go in the afternoon if you fax over the list a couple days before you arrive. Ask at the counter about doing this.

Old Post 10-22-2009 02:30 AM
rinny
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Can agents be paid to represent people? Wouldnt this be considered as being a lawyer? I was under the impression that one had to be part of the bar to collect money for this type of service.

Granted, most of the ticket-fighting companies send "agents" instead of lawyers, I figured being a paid agent is illegal?

On another note, can the first appearance crown completely squash a ticket? And if not, is there a limit to how much they can "amend" a ticket ex. take a 6/7 demerit ticket down to 2 as it is amended to something harmless?

Old Post 10-22-2009 03:13 AM
rinny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rinny Click here to Send rinny a Private Message Find more posts by rinny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grogador
First Gear

What I drive: AWOL
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (26)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I pay Nadeau and Associates $20 or $40 depending on ticket to get them reduced, never bothered with court but saving $100+, couple demerits and a half-day of work is well worth it.

Old Post 10-22-2009 03:20 AM
Grogador is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grogador Click here to Send Grogador a Private Message Find more posts by Grogador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dexlargo

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by rinny
Can agents be paid to represent people? Wouldnt this be considered as being a lawyer? I was under the impression that one had to be part of the bar to collect money for this type of service.

It's fine. For summary matters, which all traffic matters are, agents can appear for accused people. Anyone can be an agent for anyone else. And yes, you can be paid for it. That's how all of these traffic ticket agents work. They are not lawyers.

When you are acting as an agent, the courts treat you and everything you say as if you were the person that you are agent for. So anything that they could do, you can do - unless it's an indictable matter, in which case agents are not allowed.

What isn't okay is claiming that you are a lawyer, or giving legal advice - which would be practicing law.

On another note, can the first appearance crown completely squash a ticket? And if not, is there a limit to how much they can "amend" a ticket ex. take a 6/7 demerit ticket down to 2 as it is amended to something harmless?

In theory, there are no limits on the crown's discretion, they could withdraw anything. In practice, there are limits on what can be done.

First: When changing a charge, they can only change the charge to something that is supported by the facts in question. So if you are speeding, they can't change the charge to improper turn, for instance. The facts have to support the charge.

Second: They aren't likely to reduce a 6 or 7 demerit ticket to 2 demerits. For speeding, the general rule of thumb is that they will knock you down one demerit category, so reduce a 3 demerit ticket to 2 demerits, and a 4 to a 3, etc. In some circumstances you might get a more advantageous change than that, but those are more the exception than the rule. Often the fines will be cut correspondingly - somtimes in half.

That said, if the crown doesn't think that they can get a conviction, no matter what the charge is, they can and should withdraw the charge.

Old Post 10-22-2009 05:18 AM
mr2mike
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by dexlargo

What isn't okay is claiming that you are a lawyer, or giving legal advice - which would be practicing law.

Which Brad Lawson and I'm sure others make damn sure they tell you up front. I'm not a lawyer but I know the system very well.

Old Post 10-22-2009 05:33 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dexlargo

What I drive:

quote:

^^ Whoa! - I hope you didn't think that I was making an allegation that they were doing something improper! No, as far as I am aware, everything those guys do is fine. I think that when an issue that requires legal advice comes up they bring a lawyer in - at an added cost of course, but that doesn't come up very often in traffic issues.

Old Post 10-22-2009 06:34 PM
mr2mike
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Okay so Apr 9th court date rolls around... I send him an email the day before asking if I should be present. No reply.

Apr 9th was my court date. I get a letter today of conviction in my absence. So obviously this ass hat just scooped my $20.

Time for a Brad Lawson is a SCAMMER post? Ruin him in Calgary?

Old Post 04-20-2010 01:50 AM
syritis
First Gear

What I drive: ^^ that
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!...6.1926442317..1

this the guy?

note: self employed - para legal.

Originally posted by vengie

[...] What I am saying is we as a society need to get tougher and learn to say "fuck off"[...]
People are far too liberal nowadays, [...] and minorities are using that to their advantage, and that is unfair to the rest of us who actually pay taxes

Last edited by syritis on 04-20-2010 at 02:31 AM

Old Post 04-20-2010 02:28 AM
syritis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for syritis Click here to Send syritis a Private Message Find more posts by syritis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

That'd be him.

Old Post 04-20-2010 02:48 AM
syritis
First Gear

What I drive: ^^ that
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

alright beyond, GO!

Originally posted by vengie

[...] What I am saying is we as a society need to get tougher and learn to say "fuck off"[...]
People are far too liberal nowadays, [...] and minorities are using that to their advantage, and that is unfair to the rest of us who actually pay taxes

Old Post 04-20-2010 04:26 AM
syritis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for syritis Click here to Send syritis a Private Message Find more posts by syritis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.73
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by mr2mike
Okay so Apr 9th court date rolls around... I send him an email the day before asking if I should be present. No reply.

Apr 9th was my court date. I get a letter today of conviction in my absence. So obviously this ass hat just scooped my $20.

Time for a Brad Lawson is a SCAMMER post? Ruin him in Calgary?

Umm, did you think you hired a lawyer or something? You said it yourself, "HE WAS GOING TO SET A COURT DATE."

How's it his fault you didn't show up for court?

Originally posted by mr2mike
He said he would go to the Justice of Peace, set a court date to have the demerits dropped.

Old Post 04-20-2010 04:31 AM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VWEvo
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Here we go

1968 Chevelle SS 396

Old Post 04-20-2010 04:35 AM
VWEvo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VWEvo Click here to Send VWEvo a Private Message Visit VWEvo's homepage! Find more posts by VWEvo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Second Gear

What I drive:

quote:

It's not my fault because I signed an agreement with him so he would represent me in court. I'll find what I signed and see what was actually written. I knew he wasn't a real lawyer, he stated this up front.
Yes, he would set a date, this was the day I met him, in line to go talk to the justice of the peace, he convinced me with what I would like, it could easily be accomplished but you had to set a trial date and go to court. Seemed legit because I know going to the justice isn't going to net me full demerits off or anything like that. Just a reduced fine and probably one demerit less. So he'd set a court date and go to court on my behalf. I asked if I should be present, a day before trial so if he thought I should be there or it would look better, I could book work off and attend.

That being said, Brad responded to the email I sent him after I posted on here. I basically asked what was going on, how I understood our agreement and how is he going to handle things?

Here is his response:
Sorry for the inconvenience .The ticket has since been reversed because i was sick and unavailable, i am in the process of getting a new date . the letter and the fine will be off the system in 5 days.
i fixed it as soon as i was able to get back to work. i will look after it, and notify you when the new date is given.

Now can someone tell me is there a way I can easily verify this? As in a new court date being set or in the process of being set?

I'm close to the courts, I could go there during the day. I have until May 8th to figure out if this statement is truthful or else I pay an even higher fine with additional late fees. I plan on calling him tomorrow too, just to talk things out.

Let me say this, I don't want to hang this guy out to dry just yet. I know Beyonders are chomping at the bit but I want to go about this in a civilized manner, not The Simpsons city-mob style.

Old Post 04-20-2010 05:40 AM
bignerd
First Gear

What I drive: CBR 929
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Do you have the old letter the courts sent you stating your first court date to appear? I would think there would be a phone number or some sort of contact/questions information on there that you could call and ask if you do actually indeed have a new date or not.

[url]

Old Post 04-20-2010 05:51 AM
bignerd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bignerd Click here to Send bignerd a Private Message Find more posts by bignerd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:05 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: