Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Britainís health network hit by major hacking attack

Author
Thread
ipeefreely
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I'm kinda surprised Microsoft is releasing a patch for it's unsupported products...

You'd think it would be a good wake up call to upgrade...

Microsoft solution available to protect additional products

In March, we released a security update which addresses the vulnerability that these attacks are exploiting. Those who have Windows Update enabled are protected against attacks on this vulnerability. For those organizations who have not yet applied the security update, we suggest you immediately deploy Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.

For customers using Windows Defender, we released an update earlier today which detects this threat as Ransom:Win32/WannaCrypt. As an additional ďdefense-in-depthĒ measure, keep up-to-date anti-malware software installed on your machines. Customers running anti-malware software from any number of security companies can confirm with their provider, that they are protected.

This attack type may evolve over time, so any additional defense-in-depth strategies will provide additional protections. (For example, to further protect against SMBv1 attacks, customers should consider blocking legacy protocols on their networks).

We also know that some of our customers are running versions of Windows that no longer receive mainstream support. That means those customers will not have received the above mentioned Security Update released in March. Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make the Security Update for platforms in custom support only, Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2003, broadly available for download (see links below).

Customers who are running supported versions of the operating system (Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016) will have received the security update MS17-010 in March. If customers have automatic updates enabled or have installed the update, they are protected. For other customers, we encourage them to install the update as soon as possible.

This decision was made based on an assessment of this situation, with the principle of protecting our customer ecosystem overall, firmly in mind.

I went ahead and blocked SMB1 on all my systems except one VM with my PLEX Server because its still needs it.

How do you respond to stupid?
Originally posted by rage2
Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
Originally posted by Seth1968
Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-14-2017 03:00 AM
ipeefreely is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ipeefreely Click here to Send ipeefreely a Private Message Find more posts by ipeefreely Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Originally posted by ipeefreely
I'm kinda surprised Microsoft is releasing a patch for it's unsupported products...

You'd think it would be a good wake up call to upgrade...

Microsoft solution available to protect additional products

I went ahead and blocked SMB1 on all my systems except one VM with my PLEX Server because its still needs it.

What about my Windows95 machine? Not worthy? Doesn't matter, it's just a door stop that I just can't seem to throw out kind of like an XP box I have as well but that XP box did happen to prove to be useful lately because it had an old out of date Dropbox folder on it that made answering a 4 year old CRA EI question much easier.

Old Post 05-14-2017 03:18 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by speedog

What about my Windows95 machine? Not worthy?

Basically there are still businesses which can't get rid of XP and Windows 2003 who are still paying MS (depends on size, I have heard into the millions) to keep some support. It's not hard for MS to write that patch and release to the public since businesses already paid for it.

Old Post 05-14-2017 04:39 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Probably lots of people getting called out this weekend to deal with this issue.

Old Post 05-14-2017 05:10 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I dont think its affecting Canada and Australia nearly as much in comparison ....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...e-map.html?_r=0

Old Post 05-14-2017 06:10 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (101)

quote:

We got a few XP machines and 2003 servers at work and they haven't been patched in forever, or have any antivirus stuff on them. I am doing lots of file migrations right now to 2016 servers and we constantly get hits on the new servers that data we are copying over is a virus, or some ransomware.

Kind of hope this type of shit pushes us over the edge and something actually gets done with this old shit. It's all legacy apps, but it isn't so much active software...it's just stuff they don't want to get rid off.....sigh....oh well. We will see how tomorrow plays out.

Old Post 05-14-2017 07:59 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Reports coming out that a new variant has been released that doesn't have a 'kill code'

Old Post 05-14-2017 09:49 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

This week could turn interesting but I dont see the cheapasses doing anything about it either because "nothing broke".

Old Post 05-15-2017 01:10 AM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

Originally posted by adam c
Reports coming out that a new variant has been released that doesn't have a 'kill code'

Yup. If you didn't patch Friday and still didn't patch over the weekend, you are screwed. These outbreak usually mean get everyone in and patch everything in shifts until it's done.

I was surprised all these ransomware didn't came out sooner as this exploit was in the wild since Feb. I was so worried that we will get pwned during Feb.

Last edited by Xtrema on 05-15-2017 at 03:00 AM

Old Post 05-15-2017 02:54 AM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:11 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Britainís health network hit by major hacking attack

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: